Home network and how good is FLAC...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HA All

I am trying to gather as much info as i can on running a home network either NAS or a mediaplayer.
I have read back on all my old copies of WHF mag and found snippets here and there and found a good peice in last months listing all the options which i think confused me more.lol

That got me interested in higher bitrates than my common 128k or 300ish that i have on my spotify premium. So i downloaded a FLAC file of fleetwood mac tango in the night and hooked up my laptop through HDMI to my panny and was absoluted stunned by the quality, once you go FLAC theres no going back.....

Only prob was i have the onk 605 and it would pass picture but no sound, so any ideas on that?

I am hoping to try the new onk 609 as it has spotify built in but am saving for the new tv first which will be the LG 47 550/650. SO NEARLY THERE.....

So back to the point NAS or Media player.
Im leaning towards a NAS as i have PS3 wired in up and downstairs and isnt the new LG's kinda media players.

Any input would be a great help.
Thanx

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i downloaded a 320 spotify track and was very impressed. it was 90% the playback of a cd ripped in eac(flac) so i agree flac is very good but dont dismiss 320 downloads if you need to.

A

Anonymous

Hi smuggs

Played spotify through as well and that sounded so good as well so i will balance between both i think.

Am going to have a listen to the new Onk 609 to replace my 606 so the spotify usage should be easier through my Q Acoustics.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
A media player could be either a standalone piece of kit designed to play such files, or just software. If you are looking at a NAS for storage, be aware that Squeezebox is not all that straight forward to setup on some types. Something like Sonos or Squeezebox when fully implemented though, will allow you to access and play a large amount of data from a fairly unobtrusive setup.

As for FLAC, it rocks!

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
may not be of any help but i just got a lp and had a wav download with it. squeezebox hated it loads of artwork problems so i converted it to flac and now problems. used media monkey to convert and i have keep the wav orignal in a wav folder so alls good. i find flac eay to tag 300cds takes up 94gb how good is that. if money lets you get a sonos. but if like me you only have £200spare the squeezebox duet is very impressed when setup. please post how you found the onyko 609 and be keen to see if the shops demo spotify working on it

TRENDING THREADS