home cinema v hifi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i have the current audio lab models 8000 cd 2x 8000 m 8000 q monitor audio rs1s i want a home cinema system thats good with music too without spending a fortune. i think the music quality will be sacrificed compared to my present system though this is to bee expected, any ideas ???

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO an AV system will never be as good as a stereo system for music

BUT

If you want to integrated an AV set-up and use it for music too then there are decent AV amps out there can give you best of both worlds; more or less.

With your current set-up (speakers in particular) you could go for some M/A RS6's as fronts and then at a later date add a centre and/or sub.

M/A RS6's and even the RS8's can be bought 2nd hand on eBay for good money (i should know as ive just sold my RS6's).

Using the RS1's as rears i'd say your on your way to a decent AV system.

You could always look to buy a dedicated AV amp and keep one of the Audiolab amps to power the front speakers so you have a dedicated stereo set-up as well.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
For the best of both worlds I would keep your current setup for music and buy an av amp with multi channel pre outs. That way the av amp would drive the centre and rears, and your current setup would drive the front left/right speakers. All you need to do is connect the front left/right pre outs to one of the inputs on your pre-amp using a phono cable, and connect the centre and rear speakers to the av amp.

To set it up initially you set the volume on your pre-amp to say 12 o'clock (or whatever is easy to remember) and then the av amp will set up the rest of the speakers to match during the auto setup. If you want to watch a film you would need both amps on, set your pre-amp to 12 o'clock and then you can just use the remote control for the av amp to adjust the volume as normal.

For stereo duty you would only need your current set up on.

You wouldn't need to spend a fortune either, £400 will buy you an amazing bang for your buck these days. Look at Sony and Denon (maybe others...) as they tend to come with multi channel pre outs. Or even last years models may be heavily discounted.

Try and get the same make/series of speakers all round if you can, but especially for the fronts and centre.Anything from the RS series will be tonally matched. For the sub you can go for whatever manufacturer you wish. Lots of options and prices.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts