Home-Cinema Speakers - Large or Small?!

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Happy new year to you all.

I re-calibrated my system over the weekend, using the Denon Audessey thingy and notice that it has decided that my speakers are "small". I read once (probably on here) that you're better to always have your speakers set to "large" unless they're really tiny; my system details are below - I would imagine they're closer to "medium"!.

Does it matter how the amp recognises speakers - i.e. what it is the practical difference between large and small, and secondly - will it throw the calibration all out of sync if I manually re-set them to large?

Cheers

Sony LCD (KDL40W4500), Denon AVR-1909, Sony RDR-HXD870, Humax Foxsat, B&W 685s, B&W 686s, B&W HTM62, Jamo E4 sub, Nintendo Wii, QED Performance HDMI-HDMI, QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Big Aura:

Thanks - does it make a difference whether the amp thinks they are large or small? And does changing manually impact the audessey auto-calibration?

If you want the amp to control your subwoofer, you will need to make your speakers small. I have mine set to small, I don't think it makes any difference to the sound and my receiver controls when my sub kicks in.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks - this is starting to get a bit techy! Will have a bit of a play around tonight. I guess I don't really care if the amp controls the sub levels, but I only use the fronts (without sub) for music in the "pure" setting, so will need to ensure that they auto-select as "large" for those purposes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts