home cinema receiver says 4 ohms

A

Anonymous

As far as I know, it is depndant on the receiver which should be able to power speakers within a range (4-16ohms).

Which amp is it? The manual should dictate what rated speakers you can use, and the manual should be available online from the manufacturer's site.

Some amps can not power speakers that are 4 ohm, although I would have though if it states 4ohm on the receiver, this is likely the minimum that it can power. If you give me the model I'll check it out for you.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
yes very low budget denver electronics amp.the manual says "use 4 ohm speaker" . yes I know on better brands it is 4 ohm and hhigher that can be used.Does that apply to every amp?

A

Anonymous

ear:but would it be ok to use 8 ohm speaker?

Very odd that it states 4 ohms. 8 is the norm, are you looking at continuous output power @ 4 ohms, in the spec?

A

Anonymous

You could possible damage your kit if your amp is only rated for 4ohms, although this is strange. I wouldn't want to say without looking for it. Do you have a model number?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
it only mentions 4 ohm at 1 khz 10% thd.it came with speakers.home cinema in a box...4 ohm speakers it came with.currrently I am using 4-8 ohm speakers.but I am about to buy some 8 ohm sony speakers and I don't want it to blow up

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I read other budget home cinema in a box manuals and all of them come with 4 ohm or 3 ohm speakers.none of the manuals refers to using superior ohm number.mine is the same.

A

Anonymous

By changing the speakers from 4 ohms to 8 will effectively make the amplifier work harder to produce the same level of output, I'm not sure if this is a good idea changing the speakers with a system designed to work with what you have. I don't think they are designed to be upgraded. If you already have got some speakers then it seems you need to start with a new av receiver, depends on what speakers you have etc..

TRENDING THREADS