Home cinema issue.

I tend to avoid issues with the main focus being things that don't interest me at all (vinyl) or at present (streamers), but thought I'd buy one that was HC focussed.

I was a little disappointed to see that it is fairly uneven in coverage - five soundbars, each with two pages of coverage, a similar number of short-throw projectors, again each with two pages as well as a two-page 'explainer piece. But just a double page spread about amps and similar for speaker packages - six on each, warranting just a couple of paragraphs.

But I guess it's where the market is going - soundbars at present, and short-throw projectors will probably become a mainstream way of getting a huge (but compromised) picture.

Gray

I used to get my Uncle's Hi-Fi News when he'd finished with them.
He could always check back on old reviews, as he knew I'd store them forever.

Always preferred Choice. The last 9 of those I bought, were 3 for £1 delivered.
Not sure how they did it- dead sure they won't again.
Currently £5.75 per issue.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Gave up my sub to the mag after years of reading it.. Sadly either the products are becoming obsolete (large separate systems). Sound bars and smart speakers don’t really interest me.

Adverts in the mag and generally a lack of content saw it come to an end for me sadly.

Think everything has moved on sadly. If you watch Darko on Youtube look at the systems he reviews? More minimalist systems SEEM to be becoming the norm? I still have my system in my signature. Doesn’t really get used though If I am being honest. The way we consume media has changed with streaming and tablets. (For better or worse?). I do like the idea of the Buchardt powered speakers and my Node 2i though!

Everyone‘s reviewing more ‘modern’, simpler systems now, as they’re more popular and will bring more traffic to up their stats. You won’t see many of them reviewing a monster power amplifier the size of a small family car. This is why mags are struggling, as they tend to review more old school product, ‘proper’ hi-fi as such.

The way we consume media is shaping what gets coverage. I’m hoping that one day, people will wake up and realise just how compressed streamed movies are. I really don’t see much point in spending a fortune on a state of the art TV (or anywhere near it) when the likes of Netflix are the source, with video bandwidths that are marginally higher than DVD. Sadly, I think it’ll be too late by then.

And music streaming. I understand the convenience, but you’re forced to listen to the latest version of any album you choose to listen to, and they’re usually “remasters”, ie, jacked up levels and compression. And in some cases, they can be quite different albums, like Roger Waters’ Amused To Death - you can’t listen to the original release on streaming.

Reactions: michael hoy

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
Gave up my sub to the mag after years of reading it.. Sadly either the products are becoming obsolete (large separate systems). Sound bars and smart speakers don’t really interest me.

Adverts in the mag and generally a lack of content saw it come to an end for me sadly.

Think everything has moved on sadly. If you watch Darko on Youtube look at the systems he reviews? More minimalist systems SEEM to be becoming the norm? I still have my system in my signature. Doesn’t really get used though If I am being honest. The way we consume media has changed with streaming and tablets. (For better or worse?). I do like the idea of the Buchardt powered speakers and my Node 2i though!
You have a very nice system too. I don’t use mine anymore either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts