Hmmm . . . little confused (and perhaps naive?)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm also looking for a new TV 37-42 inch (i.e. girlfriend thinks 37" is way big enough but I'm trying to argue for more!!!) and will probably plump for the new Sony 40w4500, based on all the rave reviews.

However, having just visited a Curry's store just to see what some of them looked like, in the flesh as it were, my girlfriend . . . and then reluctantly I, had to confess the LG5010 37" looked by a long way the best picture in the shop. Unfortunately they didn't have any of the Sony's, but it looked way better than all the WHSV 5 * Panasonics, Samsungs and anything else. In fact we both agreed that, despite being supposedly great buys based on the reviews, sets like the PX80 and LZD85, looked really fuzzy etc (and significantly worse than my current 28" Loewe CRT set).

Is it just that the LG5010 is an updated and better version of the 5000 series (and so is a contender - and at about £550, quite an attractive one) or is there something I'm missing? I've learnt from prior experience that what you see in front of your eyes has to be a better judge than endless reviews - No? After all, what's the point of feeling you have bought a set that's supposed to be a '5 Star' for £1000, if someone who knows little about AV equipment, comes round and says "My £500 LG looks a lot better than that!".

So, what am I missing??

Cheers

Tim

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi Tim

As we've said here before, I'd be extremely wary of judging any TV in one of the multiple stores. For starters, the picture is often turned up way too bright to impress in the shop, but that won't be ideal at home. And the signal for in-store TV displays is often split between numerous sets, degrading the picture even further.

Of course your own preference is paramount, but remember - we test more TVs than most in proper test conditions and we take the time to calibrate them properly as well as feed them a proper diet of Freeview, DVD, HD TV, DVD and Blu-ray.

By all means use your own eyes, but sets like the PX80 and LZD85 looking really fuzzy? Mmm, I suspect that's far more to do with the screens not being properly calibrated and fed a dodgy signal. And remember, a lot of digital TV broadcasts (particularly ITV) are less-than-perfect quality. So I'd still recommend you read our reviews as a guideline, then draw up a shortlist before you buy.

I'm not saying the LG 5010 is bad, but if you want to see what an LCD screen can really do, you have to see the Sony KDL-40W4500 in action. Maybe a trip to a Sony or Panasonic store is in order?

A

Anonymous

Hi Andy

Many thanks for your advice and I'll certainly check out the Sony (and probably buy it as well!)

Cheers

Tim

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I'd echo everything Andy has said but also ask you to return to the shop and fiddle with the settings of the LG to take it off 'Dynamic' and get the brightness etc to reasonable levels - then do the same when and if you get a chance to look at any other tv, regardless of where you test it out. Most dealerships should be OK about letting you have the remote (even if the other half doesn't).

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS