Hiss from speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
On some songs eg. Adele's Hometown Glory the tweeter is hissing, is this my speakers? I have used balance to listen to each speaker individually and both are identical.

Is the hissing to do with the recording of the track? Most electronic songs dont seem to have a hiss when I play them.

I have also noticed that when I change the treble settings on my amp this effects the hiss?

Anyone have this problem with 685's or any other speaker?

A

Anonymous

A light hiss from the tweeters (when amps are powered on) is normal and usually should not be picked up from recording distance

However, as soon as you start playing music you should not be hearing any unwanted noise....

A

Anonymous

I am 99% sure this is your amp, and if there is no music being played and you get the hiss, there is something wrong (unless it's a seriously rubbish set up). The problem can be ignored, but should be fixable. I had something similar and was told it could be an earthing problem.

Good luck

A

Anonymous

This is very strange, as i said it is mainly only on tracks with piano and vocals, drum and bass sounds fine.

there is no hiss when nothing is playing, i really dont know where to go from here though. :(

Cliff1

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I have a similar problemwith my MS 902i speakers,it's intermitent & usually a female singer when hitting the high notes.Mine sound harsh or shrill.From what i've read on here the treble in 902s can be a problem.

It annoys me even though it's not always there,i've been looking to change mine,been thinking about the Lector1s & 2s ,MA BR2s & the 10.1 Wharfdales.I had also thought about the 685s but might now give them a miss.

How long have you had them,if new can you change them.

A

Anonymous

i've only had them about a month or two, i think im covered for a year. i dont think you should be put off the 685's they are incredible speakers, (i listened to many other speakers and found them no where near as nice on my ear). The hiss is not only present when either an instrument or vocal is not playing, which is what made me initially believe it was the recording.

Where to start on the speakers though, do i contact Superfi or B&W directly?

matthewpiano

Manchesto:
i've only had them about a month or two, i think im covered for a year. i dont think you should be put off the 685's they are incredible speakers, (i listened to many other speakers and found them no where near as nice on my ear). The hiss is not only present when either an instrument or vocal is not playing, which is what made me initially believe it was the recording.

Where to start on the speakers though, do i contact Superfi or B&W directly?

I really doubt there is anything wrong with your equipment. What sort of volume levels are we talking about and how old are the recordings?

A

Anonymous

Well in superfi they stocked my amp and had paired it with my speakers and i was told never to take it past 12, i rarely if only once have ever touched 11, usually about the 9/10 during the day and about 7 during the night. I have only ever noticed the hiss on music past 2000, eg. Antony and the johnstons, Bjork, Adele, Bon Iver etc...I only really notice it when i stand very close to my speakers. the hissing stops between songs and it only noticable when there is (should be) silence or occasionaly on a solo vocal or instument.

A

Anonymous

Well then, thankyou for putting my mind at ease. Music never sounded so good!

Cliff1

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Sorry,can't help but if you do think it's the speakers i'd probably contact Superfi before B & W to let them know that you may have a problem.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Its part of the recordings you're listening to and nothing wrong with your gear at all. I would just relax and carry on enjoying your music.

Yep agree. I also get it on certain tracks. If there is no loud hiss without music, you're fine :)

Wightknight

Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
I think matthewpiano is right.

I only have 19 in Mp3, but it seems the same hiss is present in the MP3 version of Hometown Glory as well.

If you want to put it beyond doubt, take the CD into Superfi and ask them to play it on one of their demo systems. I am sure they will be happy to oblige and I am equally sure you will hear the same hiss on that system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts