Highres audio to take over CD

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Classical is about 3% of the total so a small part of the whole. It is declining slowly.

Chris

Cheers for this. Shame to see it decline though, not sure why, but I thought it was getting more popular!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
ellisdj said:
No company seems to have the balls to say here is the new High Res CD - obviously fearing it wont sell

but they already have - SACD - and it tanked. Hence they won't in the future unless they know it's a certain. Companies are out there to make money.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see better quality, but first they need to sort out the loudness wars before they start trying to shove another format down people's throats.

We don't need a new format.

It is "possible" to fit 70 minutes of the highest quality perceivable to humans on a CD. The fact that it's rarely the case is the problem, not the format.

...and in reply to a previous post, yes, Blue Ray audio is fantastic, but ONLY because it is recorded to a higher dynamic range. It still does not require any more than 16/44.1 or 16/48 to sound equally good. Where Blue Ray does come in is for surround sound encoding...that wouldn't fit on a CD :)

The problem is down to mass consumption, the drive for loudness and playback in not so suitable environments (car, commuting etc)

I simply want to see an "audiophile" release of the CD (or download), not pointlessly higher bitrates and samplng frequencies that simply make files bigger for no reason.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
What is the majority?

Wikipedia said:
"A majority[/b] is a subset of a set consisting of more than half of the set's elements. This can be compared to a prurality, which is a subset larger than any other subset considered; i.e. a plurality is not necessarily a majority as the largest subset considered may consist of less than half the set's elements."

Seems straightforward enough...

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
fr0g said:
Blackdawn said:
Tape and minidisc were better than MP3 imo.

Except they weren't. Quite clearly and demonstrably. Unless you mean DAT. And Minidisc was a fairly pointless gap-filler destined to failure. (I loved it at the time and had portable, Hifi and car units, but MP3 is clearly better if you do it right. The Atrac encoding was okay and better still in the later guise that was and still is used on the Playstation. Trouble is it's propriatary, typical of Sony. MP3 or AAC are just fine and work on most players. Either way, tape was audibly terrible compared to MP3 and Atrac is probably indistinguishable.

And I challenge anyone here to do a proper ABX test (Foobar and plugin) of an EAC ripped 320 Kbps MP3 vs the CD (or any HiRes track of your choosing). You won't pass. But in true WHF style you probably won't even try it even though it takes but a few minutes.

I don't know what eac ripped is, but I could pass a blind test between 320 kbps on google all access, vs CD every time on my choice of albums. This could be due to the different DACs,and numbers of DACs in my tablet and CD player, I don't know.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
pauln said:
ellisdj said:
What is the majority?

Wikipedia said:
"A majority is a subset of a set consisting of more than half of the set's elements. This can be compared to a prurality, which is a subset larger than any other subset considered; i.e. a plurality is not necessarily a majority as the largest subset considered may consist of less than half the set's elements."

Was this a joke?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
radiorog said:
fr0g said:
Blackdawn said:
Tape and minidisc were better than MP3 imo.

Except they weren't. Quite clearly and demonstrably. Unless you mean DAT. And Minidisc was a fairly pointless gap-filler destined to failure. (I loved it at the time and had portable, Hifi and car units, but MP3 is clearly better if you do it right. The Atrac encoding was okay and better still in the later guise that was and still is used on the Playstation. Trouble is it's propriatary, typical of Sony. MP3 or AAC are just fine and work on most players. Either way, tape was audibly terrible compared to MP3 and Atrac is probably indistinguishable.

And I challenge anyone here to do a proper ABX test (Foobar and plugin) of an EAC ripped 320 Kbps MP3 vs the CD (or any HiRes track of your choosing). You won't pass. But in true WHF style you probably won't even try it even though it takes but a few minutes.

I don't know what eac ripped is, but I could pass a blind test between 320 kbps on google all access, vs CD every time on my choice of albums. This could be due to the different DACs,and numbers of DACs in my tablet and CD player, I don't know.

I could pass a test such as that.

They are different. Not necessarily in quality, but different enough that there are audio cues which make them different.

The real test is when you make your own, from the same source.

I have tried it and posted lots of data.

Hires to CD quality...the difference is zero. And tested using a null test creates silence.

CD to lossy codecs at high bitrate. Also inaudible, but hard to null test.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
pauln said:
ellisdj said:
What is the majority?

Wikipedia said:
"A majority is a subset of a set consisting of more than half of the set's elements. This can be compared to a prurality, which is a subset larger than any other subset considered; i.e. a plurality is not necessarily a majority as the largest subset considered may consist of less than half the set's elements."

Was this a joke?

Not really, you asked a question, I gave you an answer. I assumed you were referring to the Majors post a page or two back. Thought most people would know what a majority was though.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
pauln said:
ellisdj said:
pauln said:
ellisdj said:
What is the majority?

Wikipedia said:

Was this a joke?

Not really, you asked a question, I gave you an answer. I assumed you were referring to the Majors post a page or two back. Thought most people would know what a majority was though.

I would imagine he meant majority of what people listen to, compared to the small minority that listen to classical apparently.

And at a guess, that would be what constitutes (pop)ular music. The charts might be full of dross, but they don't lie. :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
pauln said:
ellisdj said:
pauln said:
ellisdj said:
What is the majority?

Wikipedia said:

Was this a joke?

You clearly didnt read the post above where it was said classical is 3% of the music market - so I asked what is the majority ?

i.e. what music style makes up the majority not what is a majority. Maybe the question was worded poorly but it seemed like it you was having a dig / joke with your answer - not been alive this long without knowing a few basic things

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
pauln said:
ellisdj said:
pauln said:
ellisdj said:
What is the majority?

Wikipedia said:

Was this a joke?

You clearly didnt read the post above where it was said classical is 3% of the music market - so I asked what is the majority ?

i.e. what music style makes up the majority not what is a majority. Maybe the question was worded poorly but it seemed like it you was having a dig / joke with your answer - not been alive this long without knowing a few basic things

Yes, it was a dig; it's because I disagree with you so profoundly on almost everything that I can't resist. It's not vindictive. My apologies. I did actually read the post above yours; if you'd quoted it or asked what the other 97% was I would have known what you meant.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
It was a cheap dig you must admit, normally I get better digs from people on here but its one noted,

I didnt write clearly what I was asking but it was a continuing chat so I didnt think it was necessary - that was a mistake, a ruished post

I am happy for you to disagree with everything I think - thats not an issue to me at all - I go with my experiences you go with yours - its what we all do anyway. I dont mind speaking up, and I dont mind being wrong either - happy to admit that as well

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If the Major was a girl (s)he would be Majority?

Sorry, my english no good. Holla!
dance.gif

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
pauln said:
ellisdj said:
pauln said:
ellisdj said:
What is the majority?

Wikipedia said:

Was this a joke?

Pop is the largest genre 30.6%, then rock 26.1%. Then country, dance, R&B, Rap/HipHop have about 5-6% of the market, each. Classical 4.9% and Jazz 1.8%.

This is by global worldwide sales.

utomo

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Any reference URL BigH ?

I find this
https://infogr.am/Percentage-of-Music-Genre

US http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2015/01/nielson-study-reveals-rock-prevails-as-most-popular-genre-in-the-us-.html

Old data https://musicandcopyright.wordpress.com/2010/08/11/pop-is-still-king-of-the-world%E2%80%99s-music-genres/

Thank you

Pop is the largest genre 30.6%, then rock 26.1%. Then country, dance, R&B, Rap/HipHop have about 5-6% of the market, each. Classical 4.9% and Jazz 1.8%.

[/quote]

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Vladimir said:
Listening music on bits of plastic? How archaic!

Through electro-mechanical devices using decades old technology too. Pfft!

If the people who provide 90 percent of my preferred content on CD (BBC Physical Audio / BBC Worldwide) actually bothered to have a decent quality download facility - not 'Audible' on Amazon - then I would spend out on those instead.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
utomo said:
Any reference URL BigH ?

I find this http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2015/01/nielson-study-reveals-rock-prevai...

Old data https://musicandcopyright.wordpress.com/2010/08/11/pop-is-still-king-of-...

Thank you

[/quote]

https://musicandcopyright.wordpress.com/2014/07/15/pop-still-the-biggest-music-genre-but-retail-sales-slide-7-6-in-2013/

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
utomo said:
Any reference URL BigH ?

I find this http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2015/01/nielson-study-reveals-rock-prevai...

Old data https://musicandcopyright.wordpress.com/2010/08/11/pop-is-still-king-of-...

Thank you

[/quote]

https://musicandcopyright.wordpress.com/2014/07/15/pop-still-the-biggest-music-genre-but-retail-sales-slide-7-6-in-2013/

TRENDING THREADS