Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, am a bit new here. I consider myself a slight audiophile but not largley informed. I'm a college student so my budget is little however, I am insterested in getting a High Res Audio Player/DAP thats portable. I have an iPhone and really crave beefier, more discript sound - I have hungry ears for quality and detail. I have reserached a few brands and models from Fiio, IBasso, Sony, iRiver etc and I'm not sure which is the best choice for the price. ALSO - headphones - Do I need a High Res set of phones to really get everything outta my player? If so what are the best choices for a college budget? Thanks for an imput!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi-Res would take up a lot of space on a portable product. It is also doubtful whether you would hear much difference on a budget system (and you would be paying handsomely for the music).

IME Mastering has a bigger effect than going 24 bit, so I wouldn't get hung up on going Hi-Res for your current use.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Hi-Res would take up a lot of space on a portable product. It is also doubtful whether you would hear much difference on a budget system (and you would be paying handsomely for the music).

IME Mastering has a bigger effect than going 24 bit, so I wouldn't get hung up on going Hi-Res for your current use.

+1 Mastering is how the track is laid down and presented to you. Good mastering/production may make a bigger difference than 24bit and as a result people will seek out the work of certain producers and sound engineers.

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_631679810 said:
thank you but what is ime mastering?

IME = in my experience. The poster's view is that the way the music is mastered has more effect on sound quality than any high-resolution delivery. He'll be trying to tell you 320kbps MP3 is more than good enough next!

FWIW (for what it's worth), based on some very good reviews I bought a Fiio X3, and find it a very good player of high-res. It can also double as a DAC for a computer into a hi-fi system, and handles everything up to DSD file formats, which is the same technology used on SACDs. As an all-rounder, it takes some beating, whether you use it with headphones or into a hi-fi system or amplifier.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
tinkywinkydipsylalapo said:

IME = in my experience. The poster's view is that the way the music is mastered has more effect on sound quality than any high-resolution delivery. He'll be trying to tell you 320kbps MP3 is more than good enough next!

FWIW (for what it's worth), based on some very good reviews I bought a Fiio X3, and find it a very good player of high-res. It can also double as a DAC for a computer into a hi-fi system, and handles everything up to DSD file formats, which is the same technology used on SACDs. As an all-rounder, it takes some beating, whether you use it with headphones or into a hi-fi system or amplifier.

I bet he won't. Although he might say that some people find it perfectly acceptable for them. I wonder if he will say that, hearing scientists would tell you that the ear and brain only needs 16bit? But that 24bit is very useful when recording.

Captain Sensible

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
relocated said:
CnoEvil said:

+1 Mastering is how the track is laid down and presented to you. Good mastering/production may make a bigger difference than 24bit and as a result people will seek out the work of certain producers and sound engineers.
That's what I call sound advice, well done sir. +1

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site

As you have been told above, the mastering is "the way it sounds" . It can be thin and bright, where the Dynamic Range has been compressed; or it can be clean, with the dynamics left intact and have a deep bass with a smooth soaring treble.

I have 24 bit that sounds worse than 16 bit, and I have some Linn 320 kbps stuff which sounds better than some of my badly mastered CDs.

Where possible, I would advocate using 16 bit, in case you end up climbing the hifi ladder.

Here is some reading on computer audio: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/

Captain Sensible

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

As you have been told above, the mastering is "the way it sounds" . It can be thin and bright, where the Dynamic Range has been compressed; or it can be clean, with the dynamics left intact and have a deep bass with a smooth soaring treble.

I have 24 bit that sounds worse than 16 bit, and I have some Linn 320 kbps stuff which sounds better than some of my badly mastered CDs.

Where possible, I would advocate using 16 bit, in case you end up climbing the hifi ladder.

Here is some reading on computer audio: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/

Consider my system highend with a streamer and turntable. Like you I have 16bit much better than 24bit recordings. Vinly recordings better than 16bit , but also 16bit better than vinyl recordings. Take the last album from Muse , downloaded it in 24bit which I liked. Then bought the same album on vinyl which sounded better than the 24bit copy. Don't ask me why. So production and mastering are a very important part of a recording , first the musicians mind.

There litterly a coulpe of thousand albums been streamed ( paid for ) on my NAZ but have stopped downloading now. More often than not you get a free digital download when buying an album in vinyl. Don't take this as vinyl is the best , the best is what you enjoy each and everyone of us.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Captain Sensible said:
Consider my system highend with a streamer and turntable.

Can you remind me of what your system is...it's hard to keep track.

I totally agree with your sentiment - "...the best is what you enjoy each and everyone of us."

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
For the record. I did some extensive testing of 24 bit, 96 and above KHz etc. When downsampled to 16 bit 44.1 KHz (CD quality) there is no audible difference. Doing a null test and saving the resulting file ends up in a track of silence. In every case. (A null test is taking 2 recordings, inverting the waveform of 1, and combining to create an audio file that contains only the differences).

However, many HD recordings ARE better. But not because they are 24 bit or 96 KHz, but because of what has already been mentioned, the mastering.

So. You, nor indeed anyone, needs a high definition playback device.

By all means pay through the nose for the better quality HD recordings, then immediately downsample them to CD quality... then any player can play them. You will retain the same quality.

Captain Sensible

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Captain Sensible said:

I totally agree with your sentiment - "...the best is what you enjoy each and everyone of us."

SME Turntable and a linn akurate aktiv system , well it's highend to me wont be going any higher up the scale equipment wise. Next on the line is cables. Have orderd a chord sarum tuned tonearm cablewithout hearing it but can't get one on audition so here is hoping. Should say I started out years ago with arcam gear.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Captain Sensible said:
CnoEvil said:
Captain Sensible said:

SME Turntable and a linn akurate aktiv system , well it's highend to me wont be going any higher up the scale equipment wise. Next on the line is cables. Have orderd a chord sarum tuned tonearm cablewithout hearing it but can't get one on audition so here is hoping. Should say I started out years ago with arcam gear.

Thank you.

That is pretty highend.

Please report back on the Sarum....I'm not a fan of Chord cables, but did like the Sarum, which I heard on one of their cable dems.

Captain Sensible

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Captain Sensible said:
CnoEvil said:
Captain Sensible said:

Thank you.

That is pretty highend.

Please report back on the Sarum....I'm not a fan of Chord cables, but did like the Sarum, which I heard on one of their cable dems.

I will , just orderd the cable so will take a couple of weeks. Chord were excilant because I read it takes 100 hours to run in so I sent an e-mail pleading for Chord to burn it in. They agreed and for free.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I agree with what seems to be the general sentiment here. I have the free version of Spotify, and I have to say that some of the offerings sound way better than some of my CD's. Of course, I'm not saying that the Spotify version sounds better than the CD equivalent, but just pointing out that so much is dependant on the production.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree the mastering is the biggest factor, in tests can hear the difference between 24 and 16 bit. For better sound I would look at better headphones first of all.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The sensible approach is a decent player, I use an ipod touch, you make your own choice. store your music files in ALAC or FLAC depending on your choice of hardware, derived from CD standard or better recordings.

Buy a good pair of headphones that work for you and are known to be well driven by the output of your choice of player.

If you really want better, depending on your usage, look into portable headphone amps and better phones.

I use cheap but high performance Soundmagic in ear phones for the gym, Superlux over ear phones for home use. Both are well under £40 and as good as anything under £100 and better than you might reasonably expect.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Captain Sensible said:
I will , just orderd the cable so will take a couple of weeks. Chord were excilant because I read it takes 100 hours to run in so I sent an e-mail pleading for Chord to burn it in. They agreed and for free.

Burning it in for free. Quite some service.

andyjm said:
Captain Sensible said:

. Not that you will ever know...! I wonder if they burn it in with the microvolts of a cartridge, or stick mains down it, or jump start a few buses!

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
nopiano said:
andyjm said:
Captain Sensible said:

. Not that you will ever know...! I wonder if they burn it in with the microvolts of a cartridge, or stick mains down it, or jump start a few buses!

Well if I'd got the T/T set-up that Sensible has and it was recommended that the new cable is best 'run in' and would be done for nowt; I'd have it done for me. Mains, microvolts or captured static gleaned from mermaids combing their hair.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Captain Sensible said:
CnoEvil said:
Captain Sensible said:
CnoEvil said:
Captain Sensible said:

Thank you.

That is pretty highend.

Well I think burning-in is a load of nonsense, it just makes people less likely to return them straight away and then charging people for burning-in, hmmm.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts