High-Res downloads

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I have a load of CD rips and "hi-Res" downloads but I have to say these days I mostly use the Tidal streaming service for everyday music as the quality is kind of CD level , IMHO much better than Spotify, and there is a lot of choice on new stuff. I realise the OP was not asking about streaming services but just to throw that in to the mix :)

SteveR750

kmlav said:
I have a load of CD rips and "hi-Res" downloads but I have to say these days I mostly use the Tidal streaming service for everyday music as the quality is kind of CD level , IMHO much better than Spotify, and there is a lot of choice on new stuff. I realise the OP was not asking about streaming services but just to throw that in to the mix :)

How does Tidal range compare to spotify (which to be fair is excellent)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
You don't need "hi-fi" to enjoy music. The point being is that in theory the more you spend the less you take away. It's clear that ultrasonics ate detectable. Remove them and it's not a true reproduction. If that's important to you, ymmv.

Audiophiles listen to bookshelf speakers that can't go lower than 80Hz without producing 10% THD (concert piano goes down to 27Hz), and they worry about ultrasonic information above 20kHz. *biggrin*

SteveR750

Vladimir said:
SteveR750 said:
You don't need "hi-fi" to enjoy music. The point being is that in theory the more you spend the less you take away. It's clear that ultrasonics ate detectable. Remove them and it's not a true reproduction. If that's important to you, ymmv.

Audiophiles listen to bookshelf speakers that can't go lower than 80Hz without producing 10% THD (concert piano goes down to 27Hz), and they worry about ultrasonic information above 20kHz. *biggrin*

Good for them ;)

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
kmlav said:

from a range point of view I don't think there is much in it however spotify has the edge on the collections and the discover section on spotify is better. Also tidal is £20 PCM so it's more expensive. Not wanting to start a tedious debate on the fact that nobody car hear any difference in music I would make the bold claim that it sounds better , but I'm probably just imagining that :)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Why would you need Hi-Res audio in the first place if the microhones (or the engineer) never recorded anything beyond 20kHz and your adult male homo sapiens ears can't hear anything beyond 16kHz? *scratch_one-s_head*

Well if it makes you warm and fuzzy inside, then why not. *pardon*

Why would I listen to music where microphones have been involved in the first place? A significant portion of my music collection would have no microphones involved at all and is either strictly in the digital domain or undergoes AD conversion straight from analogue equipment onto DAT.

I'm surprised I can still clearly hear 18kHz at middle age, but it's still short of 20kHz which my ears roll off significantly.

I've never bothered going through the double blind testing of hi-rez and downsampled tracks. I know I have various SACDs and other hi rez format tracks that sound better than the CD versions, but I'm also sure that they are different masters (SHM SACD of Beggar's Banquet is glorious compared to the CD version I have). There are also others that sound no different to me (Daft Punk Random Access Memories).

As far as my understanding goes, the argument against HD is that Nyquist theorem tells us that the CD standard is sufficient for reproducing the dynamic range and frequency spectrum of human hearing.

Like with cables, those who are for HRA argue that they hear the differences do so on a subjective basis. The claims are usually more spacial information, "air" around the instruments, more natural sounding, smoother. basically more resolution and details.

I think that, even assuming there is a difference, the mastering makes a bigger difference, and the differences are rather subtle.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/gizmodos-garbage-dump-pono

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
There is only one recording I have in hi-res that sounds markedly different (and it's not just louder) and that is Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, which was downloaded from HD Tracks. There is also a subtle improvement, but again it's noticeable on Porcupine Tree's tracks off their own website.

Yep that's because it was a brand new master taken straight from the original master tape, not intrinsically because it's hi-res. Feel free to downsample it yourself to 16/44 and you'll find it still sounds the same. In fact downsample it to a 320k mp3 or 256k aac and you'll still be hard pushed to hear a difference unless you do an A-B comparison (and you still might struggle).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
kmlav said:
SteveR750 said:
kmlav said:

from a range point of view I don't think there is much in it however spotify has the edge on the collections and the discover section on spotify is better. Also tidal is £20 PCM so it's more expensive. Not wanting to start a tedious debate on the fact that nobody car hear any difference in music I would make the bold claim that it sounds better , but I'm probably just imagining that :)

Maybe, maybe not. I find appraisels of this time interesting and helpful, if not exacrly conclusive.

If you can still compare the two services, try adding a very slight amount of treble lift to Spotify Premium. When I did similar (sighted) tests between Spotify and Qobus uncompressed, I found the bigest difference was that Spotify sounded very slightly 'dull' compared to Qobus but by adding the tiniest bit of hf lift made differences virtually impossible to pick.

Do try if you can and let us know how you get on, there is nothing wrong with swapping subjective experiences provided we remember exactly what they are.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
Why would I listen to music where microphones have been involved in the first place? A significant portion of my music collection would have no microphones involved at all and is either strictly in the digital domain or undergoes AD conversion straight from analogue equipment onto DAT.

That is not audiophile music!

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:

as you get older, you stop trying to enjoy music that is just wierd sounds with no rythym ... just because you read somewhere or someone told you that it's been excellently recorded and is 'audiophile' quality.

it's all about the music and if it makes your foot tap, good music sounds good on any system irrespective of price (even on a laptop with 2 cheap pc speakers)

on hifi, if you enjoy the music, the soundstage/imaging plays the 2nd most important part for me ... if you have a good system, well produced cd or vinyl pressing, .... the speakers are set up proper, and the room acoustics are good, ......it's like being at a live concert

nothing beats that

regular_smile.gif

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
kmlav said:
SteveR750 said:
kmlav said:

Maybe, maybe not. I find appraisels of this time interesting and helpful, if not exacrly conclusive.

If you can still compare the two services, try adding a very slight amount of treble lift to Spotify Premium. When I did similar (sighted) tests between Spotify and Qobus uncompressed, I found the bigest difference was that Spotify sounded very slightly 'dull' compared to Qobus but by adding the tiniest bit of hf lift made differences virtually impossible to pick.

Do try if you can and let us know how you get on, there is nothing wrong with swapping subjective experiences provided we remember exactly what they are.

Sadly I dont have a terble or bass adjustment on my system. Tidal do a one month trial so before I tool the plunge with the more expensive service I had a evening , there was wine!, where using the same laptop to the same system I switched between all my fav tunes and decided that the Tidal was better. Some tracks you could not really tell as the recordings are not that great but on most it was clear.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
kmlav said:
davedotco said:
kmlav said:
SteveR750 said:
kmlav said:

Sadly I dont have a terble or bass adjustment on my system. Tidal do a one month trial so before I tool the plunge with the more expensive service I had a evening , there was wine!, where using the same laptop to the same system I switched between all my fav tunes and decided that the Tidal was better. Some tracks you could not really tell as the recordings are not that great but on most it was clear.

If you can listen to Spotify premium on a mobile device, an iThing for example, it has an equaliser.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
dim_span said:
Vladimir said:
ID. said:

as you get older, you stop trying to enjoy music that is just wierd sounds with no rythym

But that's my favourite kind of music... Why you no like Aphex Twin?

Although I think there had to be mics involved in his latest release. As well a plinky plonky audiophile stuff and arrhythmic compositions, etc.

Clicky

And yes, I did get the 24 bit download. Just knowing that I didn't have the highest resolution available would've preyed on my mind.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have a few early Aphex Twin albums, which he recorded using old analog tape decks. The sound quality is shite, but if you like the music you don't really care. However no matter if it's 24/192 or a 16/44.1 will it sound any better.

However if it's a well recorded album, I can hear differences between 16/44.1 , 24/92 and even DSD. You don't even have to have some $1million hi-fi system to hear.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:

Although I think there had to be mics involved in his latest release. As well a plinky plonky audiophile stuff and arrhythmic compositions, etc.

Clicky

And yes, I did get the 24 bit download. Just knowing that I didn't have the highest resolution available would've preyed on my mind.

I grew up with Aphex Twin, Wagon Christ, Underworld, Plastikman, Josh Wink, Orbital, Laurent Garnier, Armand Van Helden, Detroit Techno, Tech House, Acid House, LTJ Bukem, Amon Tobin, the UK gang (Terry Francis, Evil Eddie Richards, Dave Mothersole, Nathan Coles...). I also DJ-ed, organized parties, promoted artists, made flyers, produced, mixed tapes for radio etc. during late 90's and early 00's. I worked with DJ CDPs, SL-1200 mkIIs and regular CDPs with no pitch control in cafes when nothing else was available. Here is a mix of mine that survived from the years. Mind you it is bass heavy and modulated, made for cheap headphones on the go.

Now... That is not audiophile music. There are no complex harmonics and PRaT to help you listen to your system. You don't foot tap, you actually dance with dance music.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
Vladimir said:
Now... That is not audiophile music.

ahhh audiophile music, a hitherto unheard of classificaion of music that exists in some mythical ether that obviously only a select few are privvy to ;) :)

From.... "The davedotco library of hi-fi."

'Audiophile music.' A musical recording so devoid of musical interest that you may as well listen to the equipment. (See entries for Dire Straits, Daft Punk, etc)

SteveR750

davedotco said:
cheeseboy said:
Vladimir said:

ahhh audiophile music, a hitherto unheard of classificaion of music that exists in some mythical ether that obviously only a select few are privvy to ;) :)

'Audiophile music.' A musical recording so devoid of musical interest that you may as well listen to the equipment. (See entries for Dire Straits, Daft Punk, etc)

I fail toi understand how a musician with Knopfler's talent can be dismissed so casually, unless it's still cool to diss them as a housewives choice? You'll be telling us that Abba are talentless popsters next.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
davedotco said:
cheeseboy said:
Vladimir said:

I fail toi understand how a musician with Knopfler's talent can be dismissed so casually, unless it's still cool to diss them as a housewives choice? You'll be telling us that Abba are talentless popsters next.

Gotcha.

I was going to add a few others to the list, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Diana Krall, just to see what I could catch......*diablo*

SteveR750

davedotco said:
SteveR750 said:
davedotco said:
cheeseboy said:
Vladimir said:

Gotcha.

I was going to add a few others to the list, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Diana Krall, just to see what I could catch......*diablo*

Some of the last post made more sense ;)

You simply cannot joke about MK, despite playing a red strat...*nea*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
davedotco said:
SteveR750 said:
davedotco said:
cheeseboy said:
Vladimir said:

Gotcha.

You are right, about as funny as a f@rt in a hot bath.

Actually his talent is immense, the ability to make that much money out of the dross that is BIA, is quite awsome.

Actually, sorry to everyone, attempting to wind people up about their musical taste is very poor form.

So I will give you all a freebie, I love the Greatful Dead........*dirol*

SteveR750

davedotco said:
SteveR750 said:
davedotco said:
SteveR750 said:
davedotco said:
cheeseboy said:
Vladimir said:

Gotcha.

Actually his talent is immense, the ability to make that much money out of the dross that is BIA, is quite awsome.

Actually, sorry to everyone, attempting to wind people up about their musical taste is very poor form.

Aah, BIA (and Picture Book). Songs that launched a million NAD/Marantz/Rotel etc systems in the 80s

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
davedotco said:
SteveR750 said:
davedotco said:
SteveR750 said:
davedotco said:
cheeseboy said:
Vladimir said:

Gotcha.

Aah, BIA (and Picture Book). Songs that launched a million NAD/Marantz/Rotel etc systems in the 80s

And a hell of a lot of Linn/Naim systems too. Sometimes recordings become so overused that I am sure this causes an adverse reation. I went to an 'organised' demonstration recently, Stevie Nicks and Daft bl**dy punk, I could barely stop giggling.

They asked if we had any requests, I asked for "Love will tear us apart", live at Les Bains Douches, Paris 1979. Naturally they didn't have it, so I offered to play it from my laptop. They didn't much like this idea so played Lorde instead.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Dommer said:
I have a few early Aphex Twin albums, which he recorded using old analog tape decks. The sound quality is shite, but if you like the music you don't really care. However no matter if it's 24/192 or a 16/44.1 will it sound any better.

However if it's a well recorded album, I can hear differences between 16/44.1 , 24/92 and even DSD. You don't even have to have some $1million hi-fi system to hear.

The quality on some of his early stuff is really shocking, but I still like the sound of his analogue synths. People also write off the sound quality of Selected Ambient Works 85-92, but I kind of like the effect it gets from the tape.

Vladimir said:
ID. said:

Clicky

I grew up with Aphex Twin, Wagon Christ, Underworld, Plastikman, Josh Wink, Orbital, Laurent Garnier, Armand Van Helden, Detroit Techno, Tech House, Acid House, LTJ Bukem, Amon Tobin, the UK gang (Terry Francis, Evil Eddie Richards, Dave Mothersole, Nathan Coles...). I also DJ-ed, organized parties, promoted artists, made flyers, produced, mixed tapes for radio etc. during late 90's and early 00's. I worked with DJ CDPs, SL-1200 mkIIs and regular CDPs with no pitch control in cafes when nothing else was available. Here is a mix of mine that survived from the years. Mind you it is bass heavy and modulated, made for cheap headphones on the go.

Now... That is not audiophile music. There are no complex harmonics and PRaT to help you listen to your system. You don't foot tap, you actually dance with dance music.

Listening now. Cheers. Although much Aphex's work veered into pretty much undanceable stuff as he got more into a D&B sound. I could never work out what PRaT was supposed to sound like. Maybe I just haven't listened to the right systems or I'm listening to the wrong music. It usually veers somewhere between headbanging and outright dancing, rather than tapping my feet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts