High pitched buzzing/vibrating noise when outputting low frequency sounds

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a pioneer lx82 and a set of dali fazon's (the complete set with the micro sub 2 thing). When I watch specific scenes of certain movies the front speakers output a metallic vibrating sound. I initially thought this was a characteristic of the movie but the more I listen to it the more I suspect it isn't.

Does anyone have any advice or has anyone had a similar problem; I noticed it a couple of days ago when watching the american and then again today when watching a scene in sin city (where bruce willis punches that yellow guy to death).

Speakers were bought in March, amp probably around July. I've done a recalibration which had no effect, the movies are all 2 channel played using the lx 82's optimum sound setting. The sound is similar to a vibrating noise and it's not constant, only at certain frequencies - when there's low pitched music and high pitched noise together for example. It sounds more like a vibration than a buzz.

Please help me, the speakers are £230 EACH but I'm gonna feel really silly if I send them in to get them checked or ask for a replacement only to find it's normal or there's no obvious problem with the speakers or they aren't screwed into the wall or the source is crap. It's hard enough just finding there the sounds coming from (still not entirely sure its one speaker or all of them).

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
It appears to me that there are two possibilities. One is your speakers resonance with a particular frequency of your room and the other is a fault in your speaker diaphragm and speaker coil.

I suggest you take your two speakers to another room and play your music again and see if you still hear the strange metallic sound from the speakers. If it is still there you better take it back to the dealer for a check.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for this advice; it effects all my speakers (found this by disconnecting each one and still heard the noise). I'm going to try and just upgrade the speakers as I have a tinkering it maybe a characteristic of the speakers or my amp and the speakers combined, sent an email off to sevenoaks asking if they'll let me return the fazons and upgrade to something else with cash to pay the difference, reckon they'll probably say no - in which case I'm stuck with them unless they suspect there's a fault effecting all 5 speakers (seems unlikely to me).

I don't think it's my room, it's kind of a metalic sounding noise, I maybe tempted to record it somehow. I'm still not entirely sure the sauce isn't at fault, seems to only be a few selected movies so far - music sounds fine, 5.1 and higher sounds fine...

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
i wonder could it be ground loop hum? i had this problem with my subwoofer.. if you have any equipment which is plugged in without an earth wire i.e. anything connected with a radio lead type connector.. try unplugging that.. see if it makes any difference.. i have one powerstrip now which everything gets plugged into which makes a difference..

A

Anonymous

That's a good idea (especially given the lack of a ground pin on my amp, lol). However it's not a humming noise and it wouldn't explain why this would occur infrequently. Have previously had issues with grounding and can tell the difference (I think). I'll do as you said though and try unplugging the amp :) I should probably try plugging the speakers into a different amp while I'm at it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts