High output MC or stick with one or the other?

• Thread starter Deleted member 116933
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 116933

Hi there, I'm looking to upgrading the cartridge on my 1500c and looking at getting a dynavector 105 mk2.
What are your thoughts on High out put MC carts or should one just stick with normal MM and /or MC carts?

In my personal experience I would avoid high output moving coils like the plague.
The same does not apply to low output MCs but these often require more equipment and tend to be expensive.
I haven't hear yet a high output moving coil that will better an equivalent moving magnet or moving iron design.
The other thing to consider is most moving magnets can be 'renewed' by a simple stylus replacement, you cannot do this on most moving coil designs

D

Deleted member 116933

On another point I would like to know why you picked on that particular Dynavector and how much you would have to pay for it.
Purely from a review standpoint at the moment, have yet to hear it in situ. It seemed to embody what looking for in regards to sound. around the £500 mark i believe

Purely from a review standpoint at the moment, have yet to hear it in situ. It seemed to embody what looking for in regards to sound. around the £500 mark i believe
Understood. That's a good amount of money to spend however, from a long term investment point of view and the ability to replace the stylus, I'd still be looking at moving magnets from Nagoaka , Audio Technica and the like.
What have you got that turntable plugged into?

D

Deleted member 116933

The technics is currently using its built in phono stage, which believe it or not is pretty dam good,
but planning on auditioning a chord huie as my first port of call as it will match the qutest on the shelf, purely a vanity thing for me for the Huie. Might not end up sound the way i want it to. All that is plumbed into a sugden a21sig As also looking at the sugden stage 2 phono stage, and thats supposed to be pretty good. is £300 cheaper but doesn't have the adjustability of the huie.

Also as a side not i got the 1500c because i liked the look better over the 1200gr loved the sound of both. and really wasn't anything in it. Not a £400 difference any how

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts