High Gain Projector Screen - pros and cons?

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've managed to get domestic approval to rearrange my living room, which means that (at last) I can ceiling-mount a projector screen.

My projector is a Sony HW15, and the throw is approx 3.8m to a 1.8m width screen (16:9). Films are watched in blackout conditions.

I've been recommended by my local CEDIA installer that I should go for a high-gain (1.5) screen as the projector is at the limit of its optimum throw. I had only seen screens up to 1.2 gain before now.

Can anyone tell me if this will be worthwhile, or will I be compromising picture quality/viewing angle limitation etc ?

Thanks.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Tumbleweed rolling down this thread, but if anyone interested, I've gone for a 1.3 gain screen from here

http://www.kenthomecinema.co.uk/Vutec-Lectric-1-Electric-Screen.htm

These guys are also fitting it and wiring it in.

I'm going to link it by 12v trigger to my Pioneer LX53 receiver.

I'll post pics etc when complete and installed.

The 1.3 gain screen is a compromise, and hopefully will help increase screen brightness without hot spot or too-narrow as the projector is close to its distance limit.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The main issue I have with high gain screens is that some (like the Black Diamond) have a 'sparkly' look to them, which look like it's adding grain to the picture - it doesn't look clean. Whenever you see a light, sunny blue sky, or a whiteout (which surprisingly happens a lot in films), you can see it blatantly. I can't watch it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts