High-end esoteric audio kit: Sony PS1....?

T

the record spot

Over the last few years, I've read, with no small amount of incredulity, that the PS1 is capable of an impressive turn as a standalone CD player. Can't recall where I first read this but I tihnk it was in some magazine somewhere, someplace and maybe in the summertime.

High end audio? The PS1? The games console? EH?!?

And so it came to pass that, lo, some of the original models (SCPH-1001) are capable of more than just Sonic the Hedgehog and Pro-Evolution Soccer. Some have taken the standard player and fitted it up to their stereos and reckon it's pretty decent, others have gone a step further. This from the Big Ears Audio used CD players page; scroll down about 7/8 of the way to see the PS1 conversion. Yours for around £275...

http://www.bigearsaudio.org.uk/cd_players/used_CD_players.html

This is the first time I'd seen something like this - someone's actually gone out a customised a console - wouldn't buy, but wouldn't mind hearing it. Rumour has it that it's all over the DACMagic by the way...
emotion-5.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The PS1 is a well known audiophile CD player option in some quarters.

Stereophile and 6Moons Some high end review sites have covered this subject and I must admit I was intrigued so obviously I dismissed it as complete nonsense :)

I may actually try this next time I see a used PS1 in a charity shop. It would be insanity to think the PS1 could outperform 'proper' hifi CD players!

Apparently the PS1 majors on a pure and infectious musical sound.

Hype obviously.

T

the record spot

I must admit, I can think of spending £275 on a better used option (Exposure 2010 for one thing). Would still like to hear the fruits of those labours though; if only to know for myself at the end. Wonder how many of those BEA have sold?

T

the record spot

Ah, if you check out the link to the site I put up, it looks a tad different from your bog standard PS1. Customised heavily internally apparently, respray job, kind of like a "Pimp my Console" sort of deal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts