hifi fuse

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TrevC

ellisdj said:
Who says the right tests are being done - for example a test of speaker freq response only tells you one thing.

You could put 2 different makes of speaker that share characteristics such as tweeter and 6 inch driver rear ported in the exact same spot in a room and I bet they would measure near identical freq reponse especially in the bass. Would they sound the same if 1 has a ceramic driver and one has a paper? Measuring devices would see no difference would your ears hear a difference?

I read people claiming to hear tighter or even deeper bass in demos by changing pretty much like for like speakers placed in the same spot in the room, even though the measured response would be near identical and I bet the impulse response would be too - and yet the ear is sensitive enough to pick on those differences or is that all in the mind and really everything just sounds the same.

Wibble.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
abacus said:
Record the output from your system, then change the fuse and record it once again, finally invert one of the recordings and superimpose it on the other (Make sure you match the levels) and you will find that they cancel each other out, which means there is no difference between them. (If they do not cancel each other out then the sound has indeed changed)

It’s such an easy and obvious test, yet nobody who hears a difference ever try’s it, which makes their comments purely their perception and no proof of change.

Still, if people are daft enough to waste money on something that they just imagined made a difference, it’s just their money that they have spent so has no impact any anyone else. (As my Gran used to say “There’s a sucker born every minute”)

Bill

IIRC, it's not that simple. Might work better if you record the signal being output by the amp, but I recall reading that it's actually almost impossible to get exactly the same response, even if one changes nothing.

Now am I imagining that I read this? Can anyone else verify whether that's right? Sorry, I don't recall where I heard that, so it may be total BS. Maybe it only applies to the average listening room rather than a studio, etc. that is properly set up to eliminate reflections, etc.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If your talking about measuring freq response of a speaker then yes there is slight variations so it's suggested to measure 3 times and take an average.

In reality the differences are tiny and non existent in the bass region.

However surely everyone who is strongly opinionated listening room is studio equivalent ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts