Hi-Fi Newbie: Used Marantz Amplifiers

calingrigore

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello Audiophiles,

I am kindly asking for your opinions about the sound of Marantz 22xx amplifiers compared to the newer Marantz PM 3x, PM 4x.

I am just starting to discover the world of HiFi and I'll replace my 5.1 system with a stereo system. I recently orderded a pair of bookshelf speakers, the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR (http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker), (http://www.stereophile.com/content/surpassing-expectations-pioneers-andrew-jones) and they are on their way.

For the amplifier, I am looking for a used amplifier and I am attracted to Marantz amps - I like what I read about their sound and the history of Marantz. I have the option to take my speakers to the used equipment store and try them out: Marantz PM 32, PM 35 II, PM 40, PM 510 DC, PM 64/

However, I can also order older models, Marantz 2220, 2215B, 1050 within' my budget. These ones I am not sure I can try before I buy. The Marantz 2270 is about 200 GBP, double what I'd like to start with.

I am aware it limits my options, but I'd exclude buying on eBay, as I would not want to take the risk of having the amplifier damaged during shipping.

Please note that right now, most of my audio sources are not Hi-Fi:

- MP3, although some at 320 kbps, they are still MP3, played via a Creative Audigy 2 ZS soundcard

- Radio stations via my iPhone 4, like "Radio Paradise" or US NPR's "All Songs Considered"

- a non-brand turntable and some vinyls

- CDs, but few that I actually listen to (I might buy a CD player, as Marantz CD 36 and CD 43 are about 20-25 GBP, and I can also bring CDs to try them out).

Thank you in advance,

Calin

calingrigore

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Maybe my message was too long, maybe not straighforward enough, as I received no replies.

However, browsing through the What Hi-Fi forum gives me the simple answer: I'll go to the strore with my speakers and try out the amplifiers. It will also shorten my list to what is in the store.

Thank you all and Happy Holidays everyone!

Calin

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
probably no one has had a listen to the products you mention. If it was one the major popular names probably got so much replies by now. Also did you audition the pioneer speakers or just goin by reviews?.. Never buy without listening!! Would like to see what others say.

calingrigore

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Native_bon, thank you for the reply and a happy 2014! :cheers:

This will be my first audio system other than computer speakers, and I picked the speakers only by reviews, they are very acclaimed in the US. I live in Romania, so for the rest of the equipment I can procure whatever is also on the UK market both new or used. The same goes if I exclude this particular pair of speakers. My thinking was that I pick a good value pair of speakers, take them for tests in one or two shops and then pick with which amp they will sound best.

Doing some research in the last month, I noticed the speakers have a sensitity of 85dB. The room will be quite small, about 4 x 4 meters.

I do have one more question, if you can please advise? I am not sure if a low sensitivity means the speakers require a powerful amplifier to be played at high volumes, or does it mean that at any volume, to sound at their best, they need a powerful amplifier. I am looking for a clear warm sound, not for high volumes. Basically, I am not sure if I need to exclude 30-35 wpc amps from my search, considering my criteria of good sound, but not necessarily at high volume.

Native_bon, your input is very valuable here and I will browse online for "brick and mortar" shops with components in stock where I can listen to some speaker and amplifier combinations. After that I will re-consider if I make the order for the same SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speaker or if I stick to an amplifier and speaker combination I will have actually heard.

If I decide I stick with these speakers, I will definetely extend my tests for the amp to other brands and a few new models, like the Pioneer A-10, maybe the Marantz PM5004 and PM6003/PM6004/PM6005. I would like to start with a smaller budget, 100-150 GBP for the amp, that is why the new Marantz amps are with a "maybe".

Cheers,

Calin

Edit: I ordered on Saturday a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s and the Marantz PM5004 amp from Superfi and arranged for a delivery to me.

I prefered to order without listening as a search online revealed the two are a good match. I did some research and I cannot really make listenig tests locally, as very few HiFi equipment is on display, mostly basic home theatre sets or components. Also, buying online with the right to return would be complicated and prices here are a bit higher. Just the Marantz PM5004 is the equivalent of about 300 GBP here locally, which is more than I paid for both the amp and the speakers. Even with the delivery I will be a bit under 300 GBP.

Anyway, I am quite happy with what I read on this forum in other thread, both generally and in particular about products, for example the Wharfedales.

Thanks for reading this, thatnk you Native_bon for the reply! I can't wait for my start in the world of HiFi. :wave:

Cheers,

T

the record spot

Good call on those Pioneer speakers. Andrew Jones designed, cheap as chips, but sky high performance by all accounts. The PM3)-odd ones were okay, I'd be looking at PM44SE upwards. The 2270 was a nice old piece and still should sound good if in good condition today. If you happen to see one in your price range, check out the PM80SE. Pretty rare though, but you never know. The PM44SE though was a popular amp in its day (20 years back) so there are plenty around. Just make sure it's in good condition!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts