• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

hifi fuse

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

New member
Dec 11, 2008
377
1
0
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
ellisdj said:
Thats not how I feel at all - this amp is the best I have owned by far and its a great amp in my eyes. I love it, it would take a lot for me to part with it.

That doesnt mean it cant be improved, It doesnt mean it wouldnt sound better with better fuses in it, or better rca plugs etc. You dont know these things unless you try them or unless your Trev C of course.

Better = possibly preference only at this stage I would agree - but you get to that point with a system once you get to a point with it.
It makes absolutely no sense to me at all. You love the amp, you wouldn't change it for another, yet you think changing some fuses will make it sound better? I'm lost for words.

Why wouldn't the manufacturers put the best possible fuses into a £5000 amp that has a 20 year warranty?
They also clearly stated in the manual not to power the amp off a mains conditoner until they sold one... could be argued both ways
 

gasolin

Well-known member
Mar 17, 2013
732
118
19,070
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
nopiano said:
I see your point, bbb. However, in practice we cannot switch, and when we did many years ago it was using switch boxes that made more difference than the differences we were trying to determine!

...so we are left with listening... Yes, it is largely subjective, but how we feel about a system in the long term is a very nebulous matter. Some people here seem to fall out of love with their gear if it gets one less star after a few months! Attending live musical events is much the same; no two people will necessarily feel the same. Perception rules, so if you think you hear something then you did (even if you didn't!).

So that you know I'm not to be trusted, I'm sure my car goes better when it has been washed and polished!
When I changed my turntable/cartridge, av receiver and speakers, I couldn't believe the differences I heard, and I didn't need to switch between my old system and new one, because I was hearing things in the recordings that I'd never heard before. I'm not sure which component of the system made the most difference, but I'd guess that all of them made some difference.

Turntables, cartidges, amps and speakers can and will make a massive difference, so why would someone spend money on fuses, that I believe won't make any difference, but even if they do, it won't be audible to the human ear.

If you buy a budget amp, the best way to improve the sound, is to change ot for a better one. If you own an expensive amp, and you think that a fuse will make all the difference to the way it sounds, then it's not as good as you thought it was, so change it.

If I spent £5000 on an av receiver, and I wasn't happy with the sound of it, the last thing I'd think to do to improve the sound, is buy a f***ing fuse.
When i watch youtube videos i often se a big system with different power leads/mains then the original or just a system with a better external phono stage,dac.

Should all these people change there cplayer to a better one then to buy and external dac, the same with amplifiers (phonostage)

If I spent £5000 on an av receiver, and I wasn't happy with the sound of it, the last thing I'd think to do to improve the sound, is buy a f***ing fuse.

Would you have bought such an expensive av receiver in the first place if you didn't liked the sound?
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
ellisdj said:
They also clearly stated in the manual not to power the amp off a mains conditoner until they sold one... could be argued both ways
I'm not sure I get your point.
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
gasolin said:
Would you have bought such an expensive av receiver in the first place if you didn't liked the sound?
He can't be 100% happy with the sound if he want to change it, can he?
 

ellisdj

New member
Dec 11, 2008
377
1
0
Why do you have to not like a sound to want to improve it - if thats how you think it stones me to think what you are actually listening to but I suppose that goes with an attitude of buy boxes plnk them down and accept what you get. I just dont think like that.

Whats wrong with wanting a better version of the same thing?

EDIT - how many people are 100% happy with their sound for all music, not just a select few tracks, does all content sound perfect? From I have heard most systems are no where near this so there is nothing wrong with wanting to improve it. Just buying new boxes does not do this, I have learnt that the hard way over the years
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
gasolin said:
When i watch youtube videos i often se a big system with different power leads/mains then the original or just a system with a better external phono stage,dac.

Should all these people change there cplayer to a better one then to buy and external dac, the same with amplifiers (phonostage)
There's a massive difference between changing a phono stage and a fuse, they're not comparable changes.
 

gasolin

Well-known member
Mar 17, 2013
732
118
19,070
ellisdj said:
Thats not how I feel at all - this amp is the best I have owned by far and its a great amp in my eyes. I love it, it would take a lot for me to part with it.

That doesnt mean it cant be improved, It doesnt mean it wouldnt sound better with better fuses in it, or better rca plugs etc. You dont know these things unless you try them or unless your Trev C of course.

Better = possibly preference only at this stage I would agree - but you get to that point with a system once you get to a point with it.
That's like choosing the stands for your bookshelf speakers,spikes or no spikes for your speaker,s the right rack for your system, if you want to use 1 set of speaker cable and jumpers or 2 set of speaker cable,use stock cartridge on your turntable, record clamp or no record clamp, and to choose the right speaker cable since im shure no speaker and amp comes with speaker cable.

It's a matter personally preferences and what system you have, like someone what a spoiler on there care and some don't, some want blue light others want red it's a matter of personally taste
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
ellisdj said:
Why do you have to not like a sound to want to improve it - if thats how you think it stones me to think what you are actually listening to but I suppose that goes with an attitude of buy boxes plnk them down and accept what you get. I just dont think like that.

Whats wrong with wanting a better version of the same thing?

EDIT - how many people are 100% happy with their sound for all music, not just a select few tracks, does all content sound perfect? From I have heard most systems are no where near this so there is nothing wrong with wanting to improve it. Just buying new boxes does not do this, I have learnt that the hard way over the years
If you think like that, then you'll never be satisfied with the sound you get, so you're carrying out a pointless exercise.

You have good equipment, why not relax and enjoy it?
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
To Ellis

Nothing I can say will make you change your mind, so I hope you enjoy your futile exercise.

To gasolin

Same as above, but next time, don't bother asking for other people's opinions when you've so clearly have already made up your mind, as it waste our time as well as yours.
 

gasolin

Well-known member
Mar 17, 2013
732
118
19,070
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gasolin said:
Would you have bought such an expensive av receiver in the first place if you didn't liked the sound?
He can't be 100% happy with the sound if he want to change it, can he?
Mabye he should have upgraded speakers?

sometimes when you want better sound you either have to upgrade amp or speakers, if you don't both how would you know what to upgrade if you only can upgrade 1 thing, speaker or amp (since you might want to spend alot on 1 thing and there for only can upgrade 1 thing)
 

gasolin

Well-known member
Mar 17, 2013
732
118
19,070
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
To Ellis

Nothing I can say will make you change your mind, so I hope you enjoy your futile exercise.

To gasolin

Same as above, but next time, don't bother asking for other people's opinions when you've so clearly have already made up your mind, as it waste our time as well as yours.
So am i gonna upgrade my fuse to a hifi fuse or not,if so to which am i gonna upgrade?
 

davidvann

New member
Oct 20, 2010
21
0
0
Bbb I put out a question to you ,I know at some point you had a lx508 d like me ,if you could of improved the p/q with a few voltage tweaks ,would you have done it ,or would you said ,what there talking about on that forum is ******** ? Or would you say no if I could improve p/q with a few tweaks I'll give a go,I for one tried it and now my blacks are as good as a un tweaked krp ,my point being is the o/p hasn't got anything to lose by trying a 20 quid fuse ,he can send it back if not for him.
 

ellisdj

New member
Dec 11, 2008
377
1
0
gasolin said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gasolin said:
Would you have bought such an expensive av receiver in the first place if you didn't liked the sound?
He can't be 100% happy with the sound if he want to change it, can he?
Mabye he should have upgraded speakers?
Why would you upgrade the speakers before you have even heard what they are fully capable of - I have made that mistake before. I am confident of what the ceiling is from my current system and I have not hit it yet. Lots of improvements still to make, what a lovely thought that is as well
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
davidvann said:
Bbb I put out a question to you ,I know at some point you had a lx508 d like me ,if you could of improved the p/q with a few voltage tweaks ,would you have done it ,or would you said ,what there talking about on that forum is ******** ? Or would you say no if I could improve p/q with a few tweaks I'll give a go,I for one tried it and now my blacks are as good as a un tweaked krp ,my point being is the o/p hasn't got anything to lose by trying a 20 quid fuse ,he can send it back if not for him.
I loved my LX508D, I loved the picture, and regret selling it. I didn't sell it because I thought the GT50 would have a better picture, I sold it because I was temporarily wowed by 3D, and I was concerned that the warranty was running out, and I might get stuck with an expensive giant mirror if something major went wrong with it. EDIT. If it'd had a 20 year warranty like Ellis's amp, I'd more than likely still have it now.

To answer your question, I never felt the need to change it, I was totally happy with the picture.
 

nopiano

Well-known member
Feb 15, 2009
258
148
19,070
ellisdj said:
How funny

I just recveievd a Russ Andrews Mail shot and it highlighs a HiFi World Review of their SuperFuse lol

Now has old Russ been reading this thread and jumped on the wagon? Cracking me up at the thought :)
. I rather think that the lead time for magazine reviews make this highly improbable. But a great thought!

Interestingly, the website mentions that they've sold 55,000 power cords in the UK, which is an awful lot of people who are imagining an improvement!
 

ellisdj

New member
Dec 11, 2008
377
1
0
This must be whom Trev C thinks has bought them all

""Who thinks Fuses and Power Cables makes a difference to their audio systems???""



""ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!""
 

abacus

Well-known member
Sep 24, 2008
399
154
19,070
Record the output from your system, then change the fuse and record it once again, finally invert one of the recordings and superimpose it on the other (Make sure you match the levels) and you will find that they cancel each other out, which means there is no difference between them. (If they do not cancel each other out then the sound has indeed changed)

It’s such an easy and obvious test, yet nobody who hears a difference ever try’s it, which makes their comments purely their perception and no proof of change.

Still, if people are daft enough to waste money on something that they just imagined made a difference, it’s just their money that they have spent so has no impact any anyone else. (As my Gran used to say “There’s a sucker born every minute”)

Bill
 

ellisdj

New member
Dec 11, 2008
377
1
0
we all knows those tests - same as if you measure freq response of a speaker with 50 different cd players it will always be the same but playback on all 50 wont sound the same
 
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Guest
ellisdj said:
we all knows those tests - same as if you measure freq response of a speaker with 50 different cd players it will always be the same but playback on all 50 wont sound the same
Ellis

If sensitive recording devices register no difference, how on earth is the human ear going to hear a difference?

Answer: The human brain. We perceive differences, because we want to hear them them.

PLEASE!!!! SAVE YOUR MONEY!
 

ellisdj

New member
Dec 11, 2008
377
1
0
Who says the right tests are being done - for example a test of speaker freq response only tells you one thing.

You could put 2 different makes of speaker that share characteristics such as tweeter and 6 inch driver rear ported in the exact same spot in a room and I bet they would measure near identical freq reponse especially in the bass. Would they sound the same if 1 has a ceramic driver and one has a paper? Measuring devices would see no difference would your ears hear a difference?

I read people claiming to hear tighter or even deeper bass in demos by changing pretty much like for like speakers placed in the same spot in the room, even though the measured response would be near identical and I bet the impulse response would be too - and yet the ear is sensitive enough to pick on those differences or is that all in the mind and really everything just sounds the same.
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
Vladimir said:
FFS. Just buy the fuse and review it. We are all curious of the outcome. *drinks*

 
This is all that needs said. Only you lot could argue about Fuses for 150 posts (or more). *dash1*
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS