hifi fuse

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Exactly that the fuse in the plug on a mains lead protects that lead. Otherwise there would be no need for a fuse in any device.

Why have 13 amp fuse in the lead and a 1.6amp fuse on the inlet of a device for example the 13 will never blow the kit obviously would

As above, thanks for the clarfication.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
hammill said:
This is as ridiculous as hifi ethernet cables.

Please tell me that's a wind up and such things aren't really made. Are they?

[/https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/6568/qed-performance-graphite-ethernet-cable-1-5m&source=Froogle&utm_source=Froogle&utm_campaign=Froogle&utm_content=QED-QE6801?gclid=Cj0KEQiA6vS2BRDH8dq06YDHz_IBEiQAzNdBmQ-cnZ6KssEGmgXb9YO9ZUYF8hIB_o-ptxIBLKZjMl0aAtvJ8P8HAQ]

No joke I am afraid

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
hammill said:

[/https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/6568/qed-performance-graphite-ethernet-cable-1-5m&source=Froogle&utm_source=Froogle&utm_campaign=Froogle&utm_content=QED-QE6801?gclid=Cj0KEQiA6vS2BRDH8dq06YDHz_IBEiQAzNdBmQ-cnZ6KssEGmgXb9YO9ZUYF8hIB_o-ptxIBLKZjMl0aAtvJ8P8HAQ]

No joke I am afraid

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
hammill said:
I doubt that hifi fuses are much of a safety hazard, but not as much as I doubt that anyone would be able to hear the difference. Still, we can have a laugh in the office tomorrow about the latest stupid thing I read on this forum.This is as ridiculous as hifi ethernet cables.

You tell people you work with that you read this forum? Brave man! ;-)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
hammill said:
MajorFubar said:
hammill said:

[/https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/6568/qed-performance-graphit...

No joke I am afraid

To be fair I'm not seeing anything about it improving SQ, just that its decent construction minimizes data dropouts and transmission errors, which I guess is possible. Though with a length of only 1.5m it would have to be made pretty useless naff cable for it not to work to spec to start with.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
It's the expectation bias effect...buy a special fuse for your amp..your going to expect a improvement! And im sure you will hear one..cool! If spending money on a special fuse makes you happy? That's great...more power to your elbow pardon the pun..just make sure you take plug out before you proceed...make sure you have made a will...wear wellington boots..think gel kneepads might be a good idea...hope it goes ok...your a brave man...

You have never changed a fuse? :)

K

keeper of the quays

Er...i was being facetious! This is a reply to #107

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Please, please, please explain how fitting a different fuse can alter the sound of an amp. I'm all ears.

And still I wait.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
OrJ3DWd.png

Anything wrong with this picture?

Y37bFUZ.png

K

keeper of the quays

They say 'it all comes to him that waits ' in the meantime? Can I get you a cup of tea? It's lunchtime! I have a spare sausage and mash microwave meal? Lol

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Please, please, please explain how fitting a different fuse can alter the sound of an amp. I'm all ears.

And still I wait.

The same way changing a mains plug, mains lead and power conditioner do - but you wont have it they do either

When budget allows I hope to install 10 Synergistic Black fuses into my Bryston and | will let you know the results.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

ellisdj said:
When budget allows I hope to install 10 Synergistic Black fuses into my Bryston and | will let you know the results.

You'll be judging the results from memory, as you won't be able to flick directly from one to the other, so any results are fundamentally flawed.

Just because people convince themselves that they can hear differences, doesn't mean they do.

The only item I've ever bought like this is a Tacima mains conditioner. Do I think it works? No, it made no difference to sound or vision.

Do I still use it? Yes, because it's a good solid piece of kit, and it does have surge protection, which is always a good thing.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
ellisdj said:

You'll be judging the results from memory, as you won't be able to flick directly from one to the other, so any results are fundamentally flawed.

Just because people convince themselves that they can hear differences, doesn't mean they do.

The only item I've ever bought like this is a Tacima mains conditioner. Do I think it works? No, it made no difference to sound or vision.

Do I still use it? Yes, because it's a good solid piece of kit, and it does have surge protection, which is always a good thing.
I see your point, bbb. However, in practice we cannot switch, and when we did many years ago it was using switch boxes that made more difference than the differences we were trying to determine!

...so we are left with listening... Yes, it is largely subjective, but how we feel about a system in the long term is a very nebulous matter. Some people here seem to fall out of love with their gear if it gets one less star after a few months! Attending live musical events is much the same; no two people will necessarily feel the same. Perception rules, so if you think you hear something then you did (even if you didn't!).

So that you know I'm not to be trusted, I'm sure my car goes better when it has been washed and polished!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

nopiano said:
I see your point, bbb. However, in practice we cannot switch, and when we did many years ago it was using switch boxes that made more difference than the differences we were trying to determine!

...so we are left with listening... Yes, it is largely subjective, but how we feel about a system in the long term is a very nebulous matter. Some people here seem to fall out of love with their gear if it gets one less star after a few months! Attending live musical events is much the same; no two people will necessarily feel the same. Perception rules, so if you think you hear something then you did (even if you didn't!).

So that you know I'm not to be trusted, I'm sure my car goes better when it has been washed and polished!

When I changed my turntable/cartridge, av receiver and speakers, I couldn't believe the differences I heard, and I didn't need to switch between my old system and new one, because I was hearing things in the recordings that I'd never heard before. I'm not sure which component of the system made the most difference, but I'd guess that all of them made some difference.

Turntables, cartidges, amps and speakers can and will make a massive difference, so why would someone spend money on fuses, that I believe won't make any difference, but even if they do, it won't be audible to the human ear.

If you buy a budget amp, the best way to improve the sound, is to change ot for a better one. If you own an expensive amp, and you think that a fuse will make all the difference to the way it sounds, then it's not as good as you thought it was, so change it.

If I spent £5000 on an av receiver, and I wasn't happy with the sound of it, the last thing I'd think to do to improve the sound, is buy a f***ing fuse.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
ellisdj said:

Judging your whole view on mains products based on only trying a tacima is like saying you dont like cheese after only trying a very mild cheddar. But that has been your experience fair play even though a lot of mild cheddar users have had a very positive result from it.

Yes you can only judge the sound from memory and I am very aware that this is unreliable and open to bias but its the measuring system thats most important to me anyway

TrevC

ellisdj said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

And still I wait.

The same way changing a mains plug, mains lead and power conditioner do - but you wont have it they do either

Nothing on the mains affects sound quality. As long as voltage is delivered to the amp to make it work the mains quality is irrelevant, because you don't listen to the mains. Inside the amplifier the power is dropped to the correct voltage by a transformer and rectified by a bridge rectifier. The resulting 100Hz pulses are then smoothed out by large capacitors. Not a trace of the original mains input remains in the amplifier DC supply, if it did it would hum, so how on earth can changing anything on the mains affect sound quality?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

ellisdj said:
Judging your whole view on mains products based on only trying a tacima is like saying you dont like cheese after only trying a very mild cheddar. But that has been your experience fair play even though a lot of mild cheddar users have had a very positive result from it.

Yes you can only judge the sound from memory and I am very aware that this is unreliable and open to bias but its the measuring system thats most important to me anyway

I've alluded to it above, but I'll put my point directly to you as it concerns you.

Why would you spend over £5000 on a multi channel amp and think that some fuses would improve the sound? If you're not happy with it, why did you spend so much on it, and why didn't you change it when you realised it wasn't as good as you thought it was?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Thats not how I feel at all - this amp is the best I have owned by far and its a great amp in my eyes. I love it, it would take a lot for me to part with it.

That doesnt mean it cant be improved, It doesnt mean it wouldnt sound better with better fuses in it, or better rca plugs etc. You dont know these things unless you try them or unless your Trev C of course.

Better = possibly preference only at this stage I would agree - but you get to that point with a system once you get to a point with it.

TrevC

ellisdj said:
Thats not how I feel at all - this amp is the best I have owned by far and its a great amp in my eyes. I love it, it would take a lot for me to part with it.

That doesnt mean it cant be improved, It doesnt mean it wouldnt sound better with better fuses in it, or better rca plugs etc. You dont know these things unless you try them or unless your Trev C of course.

Better = possibly preference only at this stage I would agree - but you get to that point with a system once you get to a point with it.

Have you tried having a proper think? You can't know what thinking is like until you try it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

ellisdj said:

It makes absolutely no sense to me at all. You love the amp, you wouldn't change it for another, yet you think changing some fuses will make it sound better? I'm lost for words.

Why wouldn't the manufacturers put the best possible fuses into a £5000 amp that has a 20 year warranty?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts