hifi fuse

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TrevC

davidvann said:
Hi Bbb , dose it really matter,I have enjoyed this hobbie for many years now ,I am guilty of buying this audio foo as people like to call it ,but the money I spend comes out of my pocket ,I don't understand why it should bother others what us fools decided what to spend are money on ,at the end of the day if the o/p wants to give a go that down to him ,only he can decide if its for him or not .

Look what happened with gods. Too many people believe in that nonsense and look what a divisive mess it all is.

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Trev c ,I think dog poo like amps it all tastes the same,except the dogs that eat pedigree chum ,maybe you should try that ,it might change your mind on fuses.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
davidvann said:
Trev c ,I think dog poo like amps it all tastes the same,except the dogs that eat pedigree chum ,maybe you should try that ,it might change your mind on fuses.

This is going increasingly off-topic. I can smell something foul.

Can we please just return to throwing insults at each other, its more comfortable.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
Look what happened with gods. Too many people believe in that nonsense and look what a divisive mess it all is.

TrevC believes in only one supreme being. And a little self-belief goes a very long way. ;-)

TrevC

spiny norman said:
TrevC said:

TrevC believes in only one supreme being. And a little self-belief goes a very long way. ;-)

Not so. I believe all men are equal, with a few exceptions. Weirdly most of those are on here, they buy hifi fuses or talk nonsense / gibberish like UXB. It's hard to claim we are the most intelligent life around with people like those around, but I do still claim that. There is no evidence of a higher intelligence.

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
There will no point o/p posting his results, because if post backs says didn't improve anything the naysayers will comeback with told you its was b/s ,waist of money foo ,but if his posting says has improved s/q the naysayers will says b/s his hearing things ,He shouldn't trust ears ,so what's the point ,he's only going to get shot down anyway.

TrevC

davidvann said:
There will no point o/p posting his results, because if post backs says didn't improve anything the naysayers will comeback with told you its was b/s ,waist of money foo ,but if his posting says has improved s/q the naysayers will says b/s his hearing things ,He shouldn't trust ears ,so what's the point ,he's only going to get shot down anyway.

He will, of course, be hearing things, because fuses and mains foo can have no effect. That doesn't stop WHF magazine posting ******** reviews.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
davidvann said:

He will, of course, be hearing things, because fuses and mains foo can have no effect. That doesn't stop WHF magazine posting ******** reviews.

No one can accuse you of not being consistent ...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
drummerman said:
TrevC said:
davidvann said:
There will no point o/p posting his results, because if post backs says didn't improve anything the naysayers will comeback with told you its was b/s ,waist of money foo ,but if his posting  says has improved  s/q  the naysayers will says b/s his hearing things ,He shouldn't trust ears ,so what's the point ,he's only going to get shot down anyway.

No one can accuse you of not being consistent ...
That's a Double Negative....which I suppose is very appropriate. *smile*

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
As a general rule, enthusiasts fiddling around with their HiFi is a harmless exercise, and if a few buy nonsense products that make them feel better, but have no effect on the sound, then there isn't much harm in that.

Fuses are different. They perform a crucial safety function, and all fuses are not equal. Putting to one side whether 'HiFi' fuses meet any sort of spec, even fuses of apparently the same rating from reputable manufacturers perform very differently according to their specific design. Slow blow, quick blow, motor start, cable protection - there is much more going on in a fuse than just a bit of wire in a glass tube. Googling will bring up mountains of information on fuse specification.

I would strongly recommend against replacing either the fuse in the plug, or an internal fuse in an amp (or any mains powered equipment come to that) with a fuse that isn't exactly as the equipment manufacturer specified.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
What again a load of over protective rubbish - its like saying dont ever wire up a plug or change a fuse in anything. Ridiculous its a simple system designed to be simple and doable by everyone

A fuse in a plug of a mains lead is only there to protect the lead not the device.

Why are hifi fuses unsafe - you dont know that at all - as long as you get the right one which is very easy your fine

2 important safety tips
1. Make sure you unplug the device first
2. Don't do it in the bath

K

keeper of the quays

It's the expectation bias effect...buy a special fuse for your amp..your going to expect a improvement! And im sure you will hear one..cool! If spending money on a special fuse makes you happy? That's great...more power to your elbow pardon the pun..just make sure you take plug out before you proceed...make sure you have made a will...wear wellington boots..think gel kneepads might be a good idea...hope it goes ok...your a brave man...

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I doubt that hifi fuses are much of a safety hazard, but not as much as I doubt that anyone would be able to hear the difference. Still, we can have a laugh in the office tomorrow about the latest stupid thing I read on this forum.This is as ridiculous as hifi ethernet cables.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I haven't said anything in this thread yet, been far too entertaining just to read it, but:

ellisdj said:
A fuse in a plug of a mains lead is only there to protect the lead not the device.

Say what??

Much as I hate to agree with ellisdj he is right about that. If you buy the same equipment in the rest of europe there will be no fuse in the plug, because the cable will be protected by the consumer unit and the equipment by internals fuse(s). We have ring mains, hence fused plugs.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I haven't said anything in this thread yet, been far too entertaining just to read it, but:

ellisdj said:

Say what??

Exactly that the fuse in the plug on a mains lead protects that lead.
Otherwise there would be no need for a fuse in any device.

Why have 13 amp fuse in the lead and a 1.6amp fuse on the inlet of a device for example the 13 will never blow the kit obviously would

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
hammill said:
MajorFubar said:

ellisdj said:

Say what??

Much as I hate to agree with ellisdj he is right about that. If you buy the same equipment in the rest of europe there will be no fuse in the plug, because the cable will be protected by the consumer unit and the equipment by internals fuse(s). We have ring mains, hence fused plugs.

Right I get it. To be fair I wasn't calling BS on this occasion, actually just for clarification about something I'm not amazingly hot on tbh.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts