hifi fuse

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Last year I had frequent issues with electrical failures around the house since I live in a rural area. So I did a lot of research and consulted and hired electricians about solving things. In the process I learned a thing or two about fuses, digital multimeters and RCDs.

The fuses mentioned in this thread are all a major POS I would not trust a human life and equipment on their reliability, regardless how they painted and packaged them. If you want better fuses, you buy Cooper-Bussmann and SIBA HRC (High Rupturing Capacity) ceramic fuses. Any ignorant cottage business can call China and order POS fuses with custom paint for pennies per boatload. If you think those hi-fi shack operations have the facilities to produce anything on their own or afford the volume to order custom made fuses based on new R&D from reputable manufacturers, you are completely wrong.

The fuses inside the NAD amp are cheap POS glass fuses of the worst kind. If you want to upgrade them for safety reasons or whatever reasons, you buy reputable brands that professionals trust their lives with everyday.

Good call. We must have read the same powermeter tests.

You can get (BS certified) silvered 'for audio' ceramic Bussmann fuses in multi packs for not much money.

Probably a good 'upgrade'.

I may just order some today.

I will then 'Bernhardinerbiggerthanwhatever' tell whether they 'work' or not.

See, thats the kind of guy I am. Putting my own safety and fortune on the line for the greater good.

TrevC

Vladimir said:
The fuses inside the NAD amp are cheap POS glass fuses of the worst kind. If you want to upgrade them for safety reasons or whatever reasons, you buy reputable brands that professionals trust their lives with everyday.

Why would the supplied NAD fuses be of low quality if the rest of the amplifier is not? Or are you saying NAD amplifiers are cheap POS?

TrevC

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
If you put more expensive fuses in a coffee machine, would it make better coffee?

If you put more expensive fuses into a washing machine, would it make your clothes cleaner?

Of course it wouldn't, and just because someone says it will, and they will give me a refund if it doesn't, doesn't mean I'm going to try it just in case. It's the same for a fuse in an amp, and it cannot make a difference to the sound, and anyone who says it can, is quite simply, stupid.

Unfortunately you can't fix stupid, even with education.

gasolin

TrevC said:
gasolin said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gasolin said:
Those of you who don't think they make a difference, have you tried one (or 2 or 3)? (i havn't tried one, that's why i ask)

If not, isn't it like saying i don't like this food even when you havn't tried it?

Explain to me how you think it CAN make a difference?

The people who make these products make money out of people trying them, convincing themselves that they DO make a difference, then after a while realising that they don't, but can't return them because it's past the 60 day cooling off period.

If you want an improved sound, change your amp or speakers, but DON'T waste your money on **** like this.

I'm not saying it works, alot of people say it does.

In my last link http://singaporehifi.blogspot.dk/2014/01/aftermarket-fuses-synergistic-research.html you can get cheap hif fuse like the Schurter Gold Plated Ceramic Body Fuse http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLD-PLATED-FUSE-5X20mm-Audio-Grade-AUDIOPHILE-SCHURTER-/181646345332

If we read alot on hifi fuses and alot of people say it works, theres a cheap way to try it, buy the Schurter Gold Plated Ceramic Body Fuse from ebay, sometimes you have to try it to know if it makes a difference, like food, if you don't try it you don't know if you like it,you can't just say i don't like it,it doesn't work unlees you have tried it.

I'm not saying I don't like it, I'm saying it doesn't make a difference because it just isn't possible that it could. If you can find an explanation that sets out how it could work perhaps you could provide a link.

Im not interested in finding an article that tells me how a hifi fuse makes an improvements on the sound (if it does make a difference).

Theres alot of people who notices a difference with hifi fuses to make me wonder, if i want better sound should i buy one (or 2-3 if theres more then one fuse in my amp), since one good hifi fuse can be bought for less then a mac donalds menu or a big beer costs, it's not that expensive to try it, then you get to know if it makes a difference,if you can hear a difference and not just think it might or might not make a difference, you also as you try more "tweaks" get to know what works and what doesn't

Trying is often more effective then reading about it and is the best way to know if some tweaks have a possitive effect on you hifisystem. Hifi fuses is something many say works, it's not like im gonna rub my cables in snake oil *crazy*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

drummerman said:

You can get (BS certified) silvered 'for audio' ceramic Bussmann fuses in multi packs for not much money.

I'm sure they'll work, they just won't improve the sound. Please buy them though, and feel free to tell us how they've changed your life immeasureably.

gasolin

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
drummerman said:
What a lot of bxxxxxxs, as usual from you.

As pleasant as always, but atleast this time you're not spouting some xenophobic or sexist nonsense, it's just simple stupidity.

drummerman said:
What else do you want? A years return guarantee?

Try before you judge.

As I explained, people convince themselves that they make a difference to justify the foolish expense, and when they realise how stupid they are, it's too late, so they sell them on at a much reduced price on ebay. Have a look on ebay for all the Russ Andrews ****.

A budget amp isn't going to sound like a world beater with a different fuse, is it? Surely it would make more sense to save the money and buy a better amp, or better speakers.

was disapoited only 2 pages on ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Russ%20Andrews&ssPageName=GSTL

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

TrevC said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
If you put more expensive fuses in a coffee machine, would it make better coffee?

If you put more expensive fuses into a washing machine, would it make your clothes cleaner?

Of course it wouldn't, and just because someone says it will, and they will give me a refund if it doesn't, doesn't mean I'm going to try it just in case. It's the same for a fuse in an amp, and it cannot make a difference to the sound, and anyone who says it can, is quite simply, stupid.

I'm starting to feel that the more we call the people who believe in these products, stupid, the more likely they are to buy them. If they want to waste their money, let them.

To the OP. Buy a **** load, they'll improve your life immeasureably, they'll make your tea taste like the best tea you've ever drunk, your toast taste like it was made by angels, your tv will be like a lifelike window to the wonders of the universe, and your amp will make even Ollie Murs sound like a singer, rather than a complete ****.

Go On! BUY LOADS!!!!!!!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:

See, thats the kind of guy I am. Putting my own safety and fortune on the line for the greater good.

Those would be great.

The Furutech ones may have came from a name brand fuse manufacturer, but best to check. If the name is worth disclosing, Furutech will disclose it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gasolin said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
drummerman said:
What a lot of bxxxxxxs, as usual from you.

As pleasant as always, but atleast this time you're not spouting some xenophobic or sexist nonsense, it's just simple stupidity.

drummerman said:
What else do you want? A years return guarantee?

Try before you judge.

As I explained, people convince themselves that they make a difference to justify the foolish expense, and when they realise how stupid they are, it's too late, so they sell them on at a much reduced price on ebay. Have a look on ebay for all the Russ Andrews ****.

A budget amp isn't going to sound like a world beater with a different fuse, is it? Surely it would make more sense to save the money and buy a better amp, or better speakers.

was disapoited only 2 pages on ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Russ%20Andrews&ssPageName=GSTL

2 pages of very disappointed, less well off people, who failed to return their wonder goods before the cooling off period finished, but now realise that they wasted their money.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
TrevC said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I'm starting to feel that the more we call the people who believe in these products, stupid, the more likely they are to buy them. If they want to waste their money, let them.

To the OP. Buy a **** load, they'll improve your life immeasureably, they'll make your tea taste like the best tea you've ever drunk, your toast taste like it was made by angels, your tv will be like a lifelike window to the wonders of the universe, and your amp will make even Ollie Murs sound like a singer, rather than a complete ****.

Go On! BUY LOADS!!!!!!!

Sigh ...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Please, please, please explain how fitting a different fuse can alter the sound of an amp. I'm all ears.

I'm still waiting.

And the wait continues.

skeleton-still-waiting-2.jpg

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Men do the same to their cars constantly. Mufflers, air filters, fuel filters etc. etc. The constant need to tweak and improve. Milions of companies manufacture and sell products that make zero improvements except in the buyer's mind. But how is a dentist supposed to know what matters and what doesn't? Just gulp in the marketing and polish that Porsche.

abacus

Reading this thread it’s not surprising that most Hi Fi Nuts are classed as one of the most gullible people on the planet. (On the upside it gives everybody else something to laugh at, which is always a good thing)

Bill

abacus

Vladimir said:
Men do the same to their cars constantly. Mufflers, air filters, fuel filters etc. etc. The constant need to tweak and improve. Milions of companies manufacture and sell products that make zero improvements except in the buyer's mind. But how is a dentist supposed to know what matters and what doesn't? Just gulp in the marketing and polish that Porsche.

Not a good analogy, as these types of mechanical modifications to cars do make a difference, and are easily measured. (NOTE incorrect modification of the combustion system can make things worse)

Bill

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
What makes me laugh is that us audio foo lovers is that we don't dismiss anything before we give a go,ok that worked that didn't work ,if doesn't we send it back ,but what makes me laugh is even if nah sayers gave go and it did make an improvement on the sound,they wouldn't have the balls to say it did work in fear of being called a idiot.whats to lose by trying something before you make judgment .

TrevC

davidvann said:
What makes me laugh is that us audio foo lovers is that we don't dismiss anything before we give a go

Tried jumping in boiling water? Putting your fingers in a light socket with the power on? Eating dog poo? The suggestion that I should 'try' a silly overpriced foo fuse is just as ridiculous to me.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

davidvann said:
whats to lose by trying something before you make judgment .

As I've said several times, people who spend large amounts of money on these products convince themselves that they can hear differences, and when it finally dawns on them that they have been taken for a fool, they have missed the cooling off period, and they sell them on on ebay.

Why does ebay have a constant stream of nearly new Russ Andrews products if they work as well as he claims?

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
And trev c you must have the best sounding hifi on the planet ,talking about eating dog poo sounds like you had more than your fair share ,do you know it not good for you.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
davidvann said:
whats to lose by trying something before you make judgment .

As I've said several times, people who spend large amounts of money on these products convince themselves that they can hear differences, and when it finally dawns on them that they have been taken for a fool, they have missed the cooling off period, and they sell them on on ebay.

Why does ebay have a constant stream of nearly new Russ Andrews products if they work as well as he claims?

I disagree - it depends on what you think is a lot of money - £20 - £80 is not a lot in my book for this hobby and it has no reflection on what I think I will think.

I know the SQ I am trying to achieve / believe is Spot On and I will go any mile to get to that - far more miles thas most

If something makes the sound go backwards it goes simple as that - if it helps move it forward it stays

Nothing else matters - words of Metalica

TrevC

davidvann said:
And trev c you must have the best sounding hifi on the planet ,talking about eating dog poo sounds like you had more than your fair share ,do you know it not good for you.

Have you tried it? If not, how do you know what it tastes like?

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi Bbb , dose it really matter,I have enjoyed this hobbie for many years now ,I am guilty of buying this audio foo as people like to call it ,but the money I spend comes out of my pocket ,I don't understand why it should bother others what us fools decided what to spend are money on ,at the end of the day if the o/p wants to give a go that down to him ,only he can decide if its for him or not .

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
davidvann said:

Have you tried it? If not, how do you know what it tastes like?

Dog Poo for dinner it is then - who wants to join me.....

Taste is 90% smell - can you smell that a hifi fuse wont make a difference??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts