Hifi for Bedroom

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
> EDIT > System has now been purchased and all setup We would like to get a suitable hifi setup for the bedroom. (thanks to the help on this forum, we already have a great setup in the living room)

The music would be classical, jazz, blues, folk, downtempo ...relaxing.

> EDIT > The budget at the moment is about £600-700 flexible, but no more than £1100 (excluding cables)

> EDIT > The room is about 5x4m and the speakers would probably not be well positioned and likely be in the corner of the room on a tall drawer unit with the amp. on stands aprox 3m apart (and near a roll top radiator).

> EDIT > So far I am considering the following:

Logitech Squeezebox Touch (£230) or, Receiver (£80) with my iPod Touch as remote (sound quality should be equal right?)

with my existing Cambridge Audio DAB radio & Marantz CD (£0)

Marantz PM6003 Amp (£250) 45W

or, I go for a compact:

Marantz M-CR502 DAB (£330) 50W

Speakers need to be small and not too fussy about positioning

Arcaydis DM1 (£275) 30x16x21 87/8 40W

Q Acoustics 2010 (£110) 23x15x20 86/6 75W

I also considered the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (£200) 30x19x28 86/6 100W, but probably too big.

Epoz Aktimate Mini

Quad 9L (active)

Dynaudio MC 15

AVI ADM9.1

Any suggestions? any comments?

A

Anonymous

worth listening to Sonos S5 as well, I have one and am very happy with it.

A

Anonymous

richardw42
I considered the Arcam Solo Mini, but it doesn't leave me any budget for a network music player. Also, I can't find a review of the Monitor Audio BR1 speakers and how they would compare to the others I am looking at.

duff2010 & bigboss
How does the sound quality of the ZonePlayer 120 (£380) compare to a separate hifi amp such as a Marantz PM6003 with a Squeezebox receiver (total £330) I'll look for online reviews later ...a ZonePlayer ZP90 with amp would be too expensive.

The Squeezbox receiver (£80) seems to have a higher spec than the ZonePlayer 90 (£280), eg a good dac capable of 24/96. I will be playing FLAC files, which I understand both can cope with.

I like the idea of the all in one Sonos S5 (£340), but would I be disappointed with the sound compared to a separate amp or micro and speakers? ...considering the location in the bedroom, maybe less of a problem, I could then afford a ZP90 for the Living room. But this doesn't seem like very good value for money on paper.

A

Anonymous

very nice, but I don't really need an ipod dock and would still need to add a network player.

A

Anonymous

arnitect:richardw42
I considered the Arcam Solo Mini, but it doesn't leave me any budget for a network music player. Also, I can't find a review of the Monitor Audio BR1 speakers and how they would compare to the others I am looking at.

duff2010 & bigboss
How does the sound quality of the ZonePlayer 120 (£380) compare to a separate hifi amp such as a Marantz PM6003 with a Squeezebox receiver (total £330) I'll look for online reviews later ...a ZonePlayer ZP90 with amp would be too expensive.

The Squeezbox receiver (£80) seems to have a higher spec than the ZonePlayer 90 (£280), eg a good dac capable of 24/96. I will be playing FLAC files, which I understand both can cope with.

I like the idea of the all in one Sonos S5 (£340), but would I be disappointed with the sound compared to a separate amp or micro and speakers? ...considering the location in the bedroom, maybe less of a problem, I could then afford a ZP90 for the Living room. But this doesn't seem like very good value for money on paper.

Try the ZP120 out for yourself , beleive me you wont be disappointed.

arnitect:richardw42

duff2010 & bigboss

I thought of the same thing when I was looking for a music solution. I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of the Sonos S5. For a bedroom, where you really don't want 3 pieces of music equipment, the S5 is the perfect solution.

You can always build your Sonos over the years as & when your budget permits. The Sonos ZP120 is a very good amplifier & you won't be disappointed by it, although I am expecting Sonos to reduce its price to atleast the cost of the S5.

The main advantage of the Sonos over the Squeezebox is its mesh network, where each zone itself acts as a wireless point, extending the range tremendously. So less chance of signal dropouts. Otherwise, both will serve you well.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
continue from above - after having everything in my bedroom, from a kandy amp/power amp cdp and dali speakers to a full 5.1 using an arcam solo movie to using the arcam as a 3.1 system I actually settled on the above - and actually really enjoy the sound it makes and the gf likes the streamlined bedroom!

i know you said you wanted a squeezbox touch - this has an extra audio input to add one and also output which i have connected to a headphone amp for listening while the gf wants to watch the tv

in my opinion great little box with a foot print about the size of a home cinema amp - prob not as deep - been really really pleased with it - also has a usb drive for a memory stick if you just wanted to say stick your favorite 50 albums on!

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/426797.aspx

A

Anonymous

My wife really likes the look of the Sonos S5 and also that it can be
easily moved about the house. I like the simplicity of the whole system
however, I have a couple of problems:

Problem 1: At the moment I only
have an iPod Touch, which is generally on me most of the day. I plan on
getting the next generation iPhone (announced June 7th?) so this would
eventually free up my iPod to use as a remote control. If I bought a
Squeezebox Touch (or Boom?), this wouldn't be a problem as they can be
controlled directly

Problem 2: It would be nice to expand the choosen system in the future, but at the moment the only other place I need access to my tunes is in the living room and the Sonos system (unlike squeezebox) is not compatible with high resolution files, which I would like to play through my main Hifi. I currently use a PC connected to my Hifi to play High definition files, but requires me to turn my tv and surround amp to play music.

A

Anonymous

Although not our primary hifi, it still needs to be as high fidelity as possible within budget.

I'm going to get the Logitech Squeezebox Touch & receiver to try them out (return with 30days). I will also try out the Sonos ZP90/ZP120/S5 at the shop this friday.

I'm now more likely to get Active speakers, I will try these:

• £245 Audioengine 5 (active, remote)
  • £350 Epoz AktiMate Mini (active, remote)
  • £500 QUAD 9L (active, remote)
  • £500 QUAD 11L (active, remote)
and compare them in the shop to a Marantz PM6003 Amp 45W with Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

...shame the What Hifi group test didn't include the Quads or other pro monitors like Genelec

A

Anonymous

If you are looking at active/powered speakers you may want to add these to your list

http://whathifi.com/Review/BandW-MM-1/

BTW most studio monitors are fully active (crossover included), your list includes primarily powered passive speakers, however I believe the Quad 11L is a fully active design.

Unfortunately few active studio monitors have remote controlled pre-amps.

A

Anonymous

Yes, superfi have those too, so will try. Although, they only have a 3.5mm mini jack for analogue input from a Squeezebox, the main USB connection would not be used.

I'm not too bothered if they are fully active or just powered speakers, as long as they sound great! I assumed the Quad 9L was fully active as the 11L. I won't be able to hear the Quad 11L as they are in short supply, so would be buying these blind.

A

Anonymous

Got my Squeezebox Touch - I will have to learn how to use it this evening as I am auditioning active speakers tomorrow.

My wife would actually now prefer the speakers to be on stands (great!) so we don't
lose any top of furniture surface space. So thats active speakers only now ...and they still need to be small.

I'll be auditioning:
Epoz AktiMate Mini,
Dynaudio MC-15,
AVI ADM 9.1 (Quite a difference in price - I hope I like the Epoz)

The only Quads avalaible for audition are the 12L's and they look too big. Shame, I would like to hear the 9L's.

A

Anonymous

Sorry, 3 posts in a row, this is turning into a blog. On page 2 now, so doubt this will get to many people.

I bought the Dynaudio MC 15's and they are now running directly off my new squeezebox touch.

I'm happy, my wife is happy.

The sound is amazing, very detailed, really fun, fast paced, thrives on complex music.

The size is great for the bedroom, I also purchased a pair of Atacama SE6 stands, which look well suited as they pick up on similar design features in the speakers. ...I need longer power cords.

I compared these first with the Aktimate Mini's (very briefly) and then with the AVI ADM9.1 (at great length). The AVI's were instantly smoother, warmer, more subtle and very easy to listen too. Definately worth the extra £300, but not worth the extra size, which next to the Dynaudio's was significant.

It was a very difficult decision. But at the end of the day, I have a primary Hifi in the living room, which for my tastes neither of these speakers would replace.

I have warmed the Dynaudio's drier sound by adjusting the HF level switch to -1, MF to -2 and LF at 0.

In the store, the source was a Cyrus CD 8 SE for both sets of speakers, the preamp for the Dynaudio's was a Cyrus, but I didn't note which one. At home, my Squeezebox Touch is doing very well as DAC and preamp. It maybe more likely to be my room acoustics, but even with minimal running in of the kit, it actually sounds better than when I tested in store. The vocals sound especially natural. We'll see.

The Squeezebox Touch sits on one of the speakers, I generally use the RF remote for quick things like next track, volume, pause etc, and I use iPeng for searching though albums, radio stations etc. In the future, I may try locating the SB Touch next to the bed, but will need a 10m interconnect cable.

...back to the music.

A

Anonymous

Uh oh.

The speakers still sound great, but I can't get the AVI ADM9.1 out of my head.

I made up some cardboard boxes the size of the AVI's and my wife isn't bothered about them being bigger, although its only me that is now bothered about the sound.

The Dynaudio MC 15 don't really fill the room as much as I'd hoped. Also, the best compromise of speaker locations in the bedroom are each speaker infront of windows and as the speakers are rear ported, the bass is affected depending on wether the windows are open, closed or with curtains drawn across.

The bedroom is also bigger than the shop's listening room and it is likely we'll be moving downstairs into a room with same floor space but higher ceilings in the near future.

I'm thinking of putting down the extra £260 for the AVI's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts