Question Hi Res streaming via iPhone X

PopeGregoryIX

Nov 14, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to buy a new pair of headphones to truly take advantage of Amazon Music’s new Ultra HD music streaming service on my iPhone X. I have tried to research this question, but just can’t find an answer – will the use of the Apple lightning to 3.5mm adapter stop the music being high resolution in the headphones? Essentially, I am trying to decide between getting the 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with a lightning connector (which I believe would allow me to listen to high res music), and the 1MORE Quad Driver In Ear Headphones with 3.5mm connector (I don’t believe you they a lightning connector) which all reviews suggest sound better (and so would be my preference)…but I wouldn’t get if the use of the adaptor meant that the sound wouldn’t be hi res.

Please can you help and advise if the use of the Apple lightning to 3.5mm adapter with the Quad Drivers will stop the output being hi res?

Many thanks!

Hifinut2

Oct 31, 2019
Visit site
Hi Gregory

Not many replies to this, hey!?

If you're looking to take advantage of hi-res streaming I would go down the headphone amp/DAC route - otherwise you're behold to Apple's Lightning Audio Module or LAM, which tops out at 24bit/48Khz. Also I have found the quality through Apple's own adapter to be sorely lacking - you may as well stick to Bluetooth.

Buy an Apple camera adaptor (from about £10, Amazon or £29 to £39 for the official one) and a small DAC such as Cyrus Soundkey, Audioquest Dragonfly or even up to a Chord Mojo depending on your budget and some price comparable headphones and you'll be able to take full advantage of Amazon HD, Qobuz, or Tidal (the Cyrus and Chord don't decode MQA for Tidal, but the app will go up to 24bit/96Khz anyway).

PopeGregoryIX

Nov 14, 2019
Visit site
Thank you Hifinut2...this is really helpful, and brilliant news as I'm sat at my desk now with an Apple camera adapter and Dragonfly Cobalt in front of me, and some headphones coming from Father Christmas next week (if I'm a good boy), and so came to the same conclusion...which is reassuring!

Love the impact the Dragonfly has had (and indeed my colleague has bought one since), and can't wait to get my new headphones plugged in too!

Reactions: Hifinut2

Hifinut2

Oct 31, 2019
Visit site
Thank you Hifinut2...this is really helpful, and brilliant news as I'm sat at my desk now with an Apple camera adapter and Dragonfly Cobalt in front of me, and some headphones coming from Father Christmas next week (if I'm a good boy), and so came to the same conclusion...which is reassuring!

Love the impact the Dragonfly has had (and indeed my colleague has bought one since), and can't wait to get my new headphones plugged in too!

Very glad you reached the same conclusion!!! Happy listening!

D

Deleted member 188533

I've had the 1More Quad Drivers for about two years now and they're pretty good. In general I prefer over ear headphones to IEMs just for comfort but when I do use the Quads I don't feel like I'm missing out on sound quality at all. They remind me of an HD650 with a larger soundstage. The Dragonfly should pair nicely.

Hopefully you chose the Quad driver... they are brilliant

jcmannem

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi Gregory

Not many replies to this, hey!?

If you're looking to take advantage of hi-res streaming I would go down the headphone amp/DAC route - otherwise you're behold to Apple's Lightning Audio Module or LAM, which tops out at 24bit/48Khz. Also I have found the quality through Apple's own adapter to be sorely lacking - you may as well stick to Bluetooth.

Buy an Apple camera adaptor (from about £10, Amazon or £29 to £39 for the official one) and a small DAC such as Cyrus Soundkey, Audioquest Dragonfly or even up to a Chord Mojo depending on your budget and some price comparable headphones and you'll be able to take full advantage of Amazon HD, Qobuz, or Tidal (the Cyrus and Chord don't decode MQA for Tidal, but the app will go up to 24bit/96Khz anyway).

Apple's Lightning Audio Module or LAM tops out at 24bit/48Khz ?
Do you mean Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter ?

I also saw here https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/how-to-play-hi-res-music-your-iphone-0
that it limits 24bit/48Khz and recommends different other DAC's.

any relevant documentation that confirms this statement ?

AFAIK iphones updated to iOS 11 + with a lightning port adapter using Apple’s A1749 DAC can play audio up to 24/192 KHZ
based on https://kenrockwell.com/apple/lightning-adapter-audio-quality.htm
i think Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter uses A1749 DAC inside.

Jeff6605

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Apple's Lightning Audio Module or LAM tops out at 24bit/48Khz ?
Do you mean Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter ?

I also saw here https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/how-to-play-hi-res-music-your-iphone-0
that it limits 24bit/48Khz and recommends different other DAC's.

any relevant documentation that confirms this statement ?

AFAIK iphones updated to iOS 11 + with a lightning port adapter using Apple’s A1749 DAC can play audio up to 24/192 KHZ
based on https://kenrockwell.com/apple/lightning-adapter-audio-quality.htm
i think Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter uses A1749 DAC inside.
Where can you purchase the A1749 DAC?

I’m using Mojo and can only get 96htz out of MQA.

I like using Tidal and want more depth out of it.

I’m using Westone W80.

I have a Red, too, but it’s punchy and hurts my ears after a while of listening. Mojo is so clean.

jcmannem

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
There’s no DAC in that current part. No way.
It sounds like sh*

well there is.. if you see the output of lightning port, its just like usb c where the data is not certainly Analog. so, something has to convert this digital data from lightning port to Analog used on 3.5mm Aux . so, it has to have a DAC. it’s not the best when compared to some expensive DACs out there. But there is a micro DAC on this which can support 24/192khz bit rate. Although cheap ,some say its great but it may not able to drive large headphones.

Hard to believe but Per this link there’s more to this Adapter.

“This tiny adapter houses a microscopic stereo digital-to-analog converter (DAC), a stereo headphone amplifier, a microphone preamplifier and monophonic analog-to-digital converter (ADC) and power converters to run this all.”

see this Tear down pictures from ifixit

1587489917487.png
1587489938721.png

Other references confirming this Adapter supporting 192Khz :

https://www.qobuz.com/be-nl/info/hi-res-guide/bancs-d-essai/we-ve-tried-it-the-apple-lightning178666

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6ihah5/apples_lightning_to_35mm_adapter_includes_a_dac/

some prove otherwise :
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/01/measurements-apples-lightning-to-35mm.html

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 188533

Yep, looks like it's got a little DAC in it. It's less than $10 though....so I wouldn't expect much.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts