Question Hi I would like to play my large CD library on random shuffle whilst not losing any sound quality, any guidance gratefully received

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Earthrocker69

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Thanks everyone for their help. As mentioned previously sound quality is the only factor here and needs to be at least on a par with my old CD5 so I might need to investigate streamers further.
Has anyone upgraded from the Naim CD5 to a streamer and which machine did you end up with?

Reactions: Gray
D

Deleted member 116933

Thanks everyone for their help. As mentioned previously sound quality is the only factor here and needs to be at least on a par with my old CD5 so I might need to investigate streamers further.
Has anyone upgraded from the Naim CD5 to a streamer and which machine did you end up with?

If your seriously considering streaming, I'm sorry i but wouldn't buy a naim streamer, there expensive for what they are and really only last that gens product cycle before there are no longer supported by them, think Uniti 1-2 though still work, no longer have updates and neither is their an app, ie they are not receiving the new tidal connect to update. and on borrowed time for the app on the phone .

If it where me look for a DAC, maybe one of naims or a Chord Qutest (something with a USB input) and get yourself a base model mac mini M1 with audirvana using the USB output, attach a nice WD black drive to store your music and compile the library and away you go. You can even sign into tidal though the software as well.

Setup auto startup and shutdown, the mac can then be run completely headless (no monitor) from your phone or iPad and left to its own thoughts.

Sound quality-wise no difference and in some case 3-4k cheaper.

Or you can run an Intel NUC running Roon rock (not windows) with an attached hard drive run headless using Roon software on your iPad or iPhone or smart device of your choice basically a Roon Nucleus but 1k cheaper

Just some food for thought.

Gray

One little thing to remember that I have not seen mentioned in the thread. Whatever device you decide to use the USB HDD with must have a powered USB socket. On laptops and PCs they are always powered, on audio equipment they may not be not powered.
Good point.
You probably saw that I asked him if his HDD had its own PSU, but forget to say why that can be important.
Also, depending on the PSU of the streaming device itself (eg RPi), there can be inadequate power from some 'powered' sockets. Self powered HDDs are always a better idea.

Earthrocker69

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Hi all thanks again for feedback. So many abbreviations and information to process for someone who knows absolutely zero about Tech (I barely know how to turn a laptop on)
Sounds like a lot of hassle, I was hoping for a machine to plug in and press a button to select random and away we go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts