Help to improve sound on my Arcam AVR250, Arcam DV79 and Monitor Audio RS6

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

This is my first post on here!!

As above I want to know what I can do to improve my sound.

I currently only use 2.1 as I have no money for the other speakers and the DV79 is used for both CD and DVD.

At the moment I feel when i'm listening to my music there is alot more top end and the top end can be a little harsh when played loudly and also i would like more bass in the mix.

So basically, less top more bottom.

However, when I play DVDs the mix is really good.

I have heard the speaker cable I currently have QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire which from writes up are good when you want to add more treble to a system.

First question: Bi wire or single wire???

Alot more people have said with my setup get a good quality single speaker cable.

I have look into getting Atlas Hyper 3.0 as this will enhance the bass alot more? Anyone experienced these cables before? I know the Atlas Hyper 2.0 has good write up but doesn't bring out the bass as much.

For interconnect cables I might go for Atlas Equator Superior and the Atlas Compass Coaxial.

Will all this improvements make a big difference? Do i go for bi wire or single wire?

To top it off I have been recommended to get an Arcam rDAC which will boost the DV79 and turn it into the same quality as a Arcam cd37!!! only £400 too.

How does all this sound? I was going to go down the whole route of replacing the 250 and dv79 but everyone has said they are good pieces of kit and to get better you have to spend alot of money.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks in advanced,

Dean

scene

Welcome to the forums Dean
emotion-1.gif

As you can see from my sig, my kit is not so dissimilar to yours. I was using my avr250 with the dv79 and the kef eggs, but Mrs. Scene found the centre channel a little muffled, so I got an MA RS-LCR to give better clarity and oomph. Then I tried the silver 8is I was using with my DV88 and that sounded better...
With avr250 I'm using QED silver anniversary, single wire and find the 8is sound pretty fine on CDs, but I find that it sounds better when using a co-ax or RCA connection and with the 250 in stereo direct mode. Are you feeding CDs in digital or analogue? If the former, I'd recommend trying the analogue / stereo direct set up before anything else.

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Thank you for your response. So are you using the centre speaker when playing CD's too. Some people have said about using a sub in conjuction with the RS6's. I'm new to all this so you say about using co-ax and RCA connection... is that on the speaker wires?? (sorry if it was a silly question) I'm in stereo mode when playing CD's but again how do i make sure i'm feeding CD's analogue?

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Dean:

Welcome. I can understand your plight regarding sound getting more harsh and not enough bass with RS6 and the QED SA XT cables, coz I too had the same problem with QED Qunex2 IC and SA XT cables. But, after changing my speaker cables to Van Damme UP-OFC (6mm) speaker cables and Merlin Mozart IC, sound is a lot more smooth, weighty bass, and not a single hint of harshness!!
The VD is quite cheap, why not give it a try? - all IMO.

scene

Dean Morris:
Hi,

Thank you for your response. So are you using the centre speaker when playing CD's too. Some people have said about using a sub in conjuction with the RS6's. I'm new to all this so you say about using co-ax and RCA connection... is that on the speaker wires?? (sorry if it was a silly question) I'm in stereo mode when playing CD's but again how do i make sure i'm feeding CD's analogue?

No, sorry for the confusion. I've got the sub for surround sound / cinema duties. When listening to CDs, I click the "Stereo Direct" button on the amp. If the source is digital, you'll get no sound. If you get sound, you've got an analogue feed.

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I see. I have just Bi amped the speakers to amp. The results are so much better. I have more bass coming through and its more balanced! I really want to try out the arcam rDAC to bring my source DV79 up to the same spec as a CD37. Then I should have a good setup! Have you tried Bi amping???

scene

Dean Morris:
I see. I have just Bi amped the speakers to amp. The results are so much better. I have more bass coming through and its more balanced! I really want to try out the arcam rDAC to bring my source DV79 up to the same spec as a CD37. Then I should have a good setup! Have you tried Bi amping???

Dean, see my reply to your post about bi-amping
emotion-1.gif
The simple answer is yes, but with inconclusive results, which I now realise were because my amp had an issue (major, major issue - back to Arcam for whole new insides!) I'd love to hear how you get on, because I'm thinking about giving another try, once all my other projects have finished...
emotion-5.gif

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
It has improved the sound alot! It seems logical when you think about it. I do believe in good cables to and as I have learnt the tweeters in MA silve 6's are metal domed...teamed up with silver cable (QED silver anniversary which i have) will give an added treble sound... hence why I think getting a good quality cooper cable would be a good idea.

I'm going to wait and get 4 lengths of good quality single cable (Hyper 2.0 or 3.0) this sound give it for detail in bass and treble.

I think firstly however I will get the Arcam rDAC. If i don't like it or think it doesn't improve it much then i'll just send it back

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i cant say you are wrong but how can you want more bass than the rs6's i have to cut a demo short cause of a few things.
I think they are great but it took an amp double the price to control the bottom end and add a touch of smoothness to the top.
in the end funds made me drop down to the bronze range as i changed from a stereo to 5.1. I would add that i really think the ma ranges these days are geared up for home cinema and the metal tweeter is a bit of a nightmare at high volumes. very detailed but harsh at times. I would consider going standmounts with a nice tweeter and getting a sub know for music. You must be a dance/rock guy to want series bass so i feel a top sub and some top standmounts could be for you. The problem is that may be a touch over budget. good luck hope you get the sound your after. please demo loads before you choose

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
After setting the amp up and bi amping the speakers I have a great sound coming from the speakers now. It's a funny game. You might have the product but you learn your equipment over time and improve on what is already there.

I think the AVR250 is a great piece of kit and is well match with the RS6. The AVR250 was £1500+ when it first came out so it was expensive! I did try out the bronze range, gold range and standmounts etc when I got the package. I can definaltey say that the combo I heard was the best out of all of them. The gold speakers did need a bigger amp, the standmounts speakers where good but the RS6 where a clear winner.

It has taken a while to get the right sound. What you hear in the demo room in the shop does and will sound different to what you setup at home.

I have positioned the speakers a bit differently this evening and just trying to find the sweet spot. Know at times it can be quite bassy!!!

TRENDING THREADS