Question Hi I would like to play my large CD library on random shuffle whilst not losing any sound quality, any guidance gratefully received

Earthrocker69

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Hi I would like to play my large CD library on random shuffle whilst not losing any sound quality, any guidance gratefully received. Are there many / any options? My current system is Naim CD5si, Hicap Nap250, Nac72 through Monitor audio Silver 10.

Gray

Hi I would like to play my large CD library on random shuffle whilst not losing any sound quality, any guidance gratefully received. Are there many / any options? My current system is Naim CD5si, Hicap Nap250, Nac72 through Monitor audio Silver 10.
Hi Earthrocker
Best way would be to store all your music as FLAC files, then there are many options for playing your entire collection in random order - with no loss of sound quality.
How many CDs have you got?

insider9

I thought about a multidisc player.......but as he's done the hard work of ripping to FLAC.....
I've noticed this as I was typing. Should teach me to read entire sentences.

Only trouble I forsee is that CD5si is a mighty fine CD player. So not losing sound quality will mean a DAC purchase. And to really not lose sound quality it won't be cheap.

Earthrocker69

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
MP3 only used when doing gardening, cleaning the car etc but still played as Flac files.
Budget is what it is as long as quality is on a par at least as my Cd player

insider9

OP, where do you want to store the files? PC/laptop/server/streamer? And how do you want to interact with the streamer? Mouse, keyboard, phone, remote, etc.? Alexa play my favourite tunes? 😁

Earthrocker69

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Sorry I haven't kept up-to-date with current trends so I don't know anything about streaming. As I live in area with extremely poor internet connections will that make a difference?

Earthrocker69

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
How does streaming from local storage work, what would I need, would the quality be as good and could I randomly shuffle any song from any of the stored discs?

Gray

How does the streamer connect to my system and can I use my existing hard drive?
It connects to your amplifier with the same type of lead as your CD player does (in your case a twin RCA to 5-pin DIN lead?).
Your hard drive would plug into its USB socket.

It is available in black or white.
Note that occasionally, when on sale, you can get it £100 cheaper - though that may not be too important to you.

Last edited:

Earthrocker69

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Thanks. Would the sound quality be as good or very close to my current cd player?
How would shuffling the tracks work and controlled?
Sorry for so many questions but have not kept abreast of current trends and not at all a techophobe.

Gray

Thanks. Would the sound quality be as good or very close to my current cd player?
How would shuffling the tracks work and controlled?
Sorry for so many questions but have not kept abreast of current trends and not at all a techophobe.
Don't worry about too many questions.
By all accounts your CD player is very good. But plenty of accounts say this streamer is too.
The streamer has the option of connecting to an external DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) which means you always have the option to upgrade its sound quality in the future - if you found its sound to be lacking.

You can see that on the top of the unit there are basic play / pause / next / previous controls.
To set into random play mode would (almost certainly) require you do that from your phone / tablet / laptop using Bluesound's dedicated control app (which users say is very good).

The unit also has 2 way Bluetooth. This means that it can send its sound to a pair of wireless headphones (might even reach you while you're gardening).

It would appear to be a good value product. It does things that you may never use but importantly, I think it would do what you want very well.

However, if money is no object to you, then you might want to look into the option of a Naim streamer. At £2,400 their ND5 XS 2 might be right up your street, audibly and visually.

Have a look down this list for Naim and other options. Any one of them would do what you want (as well as plenty that you may never need):

Last edited:

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I think your most cost effective method here would be to buy a dac for about 100 euros/pounds and put some good music player software on your laptop. You then connect one to the other and control from your laptop.

Edit- another option, I've just checked on my phone, you could buy a usb dac, again good ones can be got from about 60 quid. Buy an android tablet that takes a memory card,download usb audio player pro (it's about 5 pounds) and plug android tablet into dac (obviously you've copied your music to the memory card and it's installed in your tablet).

There is a menu with a shuffle option that shuffles whole library. It's a dedicated flac player that gives sound quality as good as the dac, just another option.

Finally (from me) you could get a tablet as above or a phone (not used as a phone) that has aptx hd bluetooth and invest in an ifi zen blue and you'd get cd quality over bluetooth hd aptx

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts