hi fi

Gray

That's an interesting hi-fi system Daisie. But unfortunately it's not designed to accept an input from a turntable (or any external source other than the audio from a VCR or TV).
There might just be a workaround solution though.
Have you got the turntable yet and if so what model is it?

Last edited:

insider9

There would be a really long winded possibility. You'd need a phono stage which you'd then need to connect to your hifi via scart. In order to do that you would need a RCA to scart lead/converter. With the complexity and cost of external phono stage you might as well change your setup.

Gray

There would be a really long winded possibility. You'd need a phono stage which you'd then need to connect to your hifi via scart. In order to do that you would need a RCA to scart lead/converter. With the complexity and cost of external phono stage you might as well change your setup.
As you probably guessed Insider, that was the workaround I had in mind. It's hardly that much more long-winded than telling someone with a line only amp to use a phono pre is it? As you can see, I'm just waiting to hear what TT it is. In the event it was one of the ever increasing ones that include the pre, then a <£3 connection lead is all that's required.
Otherwise, The Behringer PP400 will be more than adequate....<£25 including the lead.
Put yourself in this person's position with their little hi-fi system, would you want to change your setup?
If it turns out they've spent >£600 on the TT, I'll go with your idea.

Last edited:

daisie

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
As you probably guessed Insider, that was the workaround I had in mind. It's hardly that much more long-winded than telling someone with a line only amp to use a phono pre is it? As you can see, I'm just waiting to hear what TT it is. In the event it was one of the ever increasing ones that include the pre, then a <£3 connection lead is all that's required.
Otherwise, The Behringer PP400 will be more than adequate....<£25 including the lead.
Put yourself in this person's position with their little hi-fi system, would you want to change your setup?
If it turns out they've spent >£600 on the TT, I'll go with your idea.
Hi Gray the tt is a aiwa-pxe860 as i want to keep retro so to speak . have loads of records that i cant listen to so any help or suggestions would be great ok .

Gray

Hi Daisie
It's going to cost you £2.49 to start listening to your records again.
Set your turntable's switch to 'equalizer on'
Buy this and plug it in the (top) 'VCR Input' on your hi-fi:
Ignore its yellow socket. Connect your red and white turntable plugs to it.
From then on 'VCR' on your source selector will be your turntable (so you might want to re-label it).
Any problems, get back here.
Otherwise, enjoy your vinyl.

daisie

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
Hi Daisie
It's going to cost you £2.49 to start listening to your records again.
Set your turntable's switch to 'equalizer on'
Buy this and plug it in the (top) 'VCR Input' on your hi-fi:
Ignore its yellow socket. Connect your red and white turntable plugs to it.
From then on 'VCR' on your source selector will be your turntable (so you might want to re-label it).
Any problems, get back here.
Otherwise, enjoy your vinyl.
when you say switch equalizer switch to on cant find one on tt but see where you are coming from with plug to scart. Just puzzled with switch??so will get plug and try thanks for info

Gray

when you say switch equalizer switch to on cant find one on tt but see where you are coming from with plug to scart. Just puzzled with switch??so will get plug and try thanks for info
From where the arrow is pointing in your instruction manual, it looks like you will need to remove the platter to see it (at the back).
It does need to be 'on'.
Let us know how you get on.

D

Deleted member 108165

And start saving for a better turntable daisie :)

Gray

found switch and scart on order will let you know what happens ,thanks for your imput.
Great, nice to think £2.49 might do the trick - I will say this though Daisie.
You've probably seen the advice to get a better system / turntable.
Without wishing to give you the upgrade bug, I think you might be amazed how much better your music could sound - depends how much importance you give your music.
You could be content with what you've got, in which case you could teach us all a lesson!

daisie

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
Great, nice to think £2.49 might do the trick - I will say this though Daisie.
You've probably seen the advice to get a better system / turntable.
Without wishing to give you the upgrade bug, I think you might be amazed how much better your music could sound - depends how much importance you give your music.
You could be content with what you've got, in which case you could teach us all a lesson!
assuming this fix works i will be looking for a better tt but price is a problem as being an old wrinkly . So as one is aging wuld like advise as to a tt that would suit me as i think once this fix is ok basicly any tt will suffice if it has line in &out . Been collecting records since late fifties ,just like to hear my old records again so we will see what happens. Will let you know next week when item arrives ok all the best Daisie

D

Deleted member 108165

Daisie, give us a budget you could comfortably afford and where in the country you reside and let us do the keyboard work for you. I'm sure it would be our pleasure to assist you when you are ready.

Reactions: insider9 and Gray
D

Deleted member 108165

I would have suggested this, but the cost of the necessary cartridge would make it a bit pricey :)
They are rather nice Gray. Don't really need all the DJ slider stuff, wonder if the SL1500C is of similar build quality? Probably not at £900 compared to the 1200G at £3500.

daisie

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
Daisie, give us a budget you could comfortably afford and where in the country you reside and let us do the keyboard work for you. I'm sure it would be our pleasure to assist you when you are ready.
I live in hampshire [fareham]i could go up to £200 or get a good used one ,running on a tight buget[pension]. So might get a good one second hand at the right price ok thanks for all your help Daisie

daisie

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
Gray the item you gave me info on works a treat thankyou so much just need to research a new turntable .
I am assuming i would have to have same cabling as the present turntable red &white only??ok many thanks Dave

Gray

Gray the item you gave me info on works a treat thankyou so much just need to research a new turntable .
I am assuming i would have to have same cabling as the present turntable red &white only??ok many thanks Dave
That's great news Daisie (or Dave as you signed off above :)).
See how you go with what you've got, before rushing into any new turntable.
Here's a tip: Compare the sound of CD and vinyl on your system (the same track if possible).
Does the vinyl sound as good as CD? Is it worse? If so what is it about the sound that's worse?
These are important questions before you spend any money - you need to know whether spending money (on just a turntable) is likely to give you a worthwhile benefit through your current system.

Last edited:

daisie

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
That's great news Daisie (or Dave as you signed off above :)).
See how you go with what you've got, before rushing into any new turntable.
Here's a tip: Compare the sound of CD and vinyl on your system (the same track if possible).
Does the vinyl sound as good as CD? Is it worse? If so what is it about the sound that's worse?
These are important questions before you spend any money - you need to know whether spending money (on just a turntable) is likely to give you a worthwhile benefit through your current system.
Many thanks for all your imputand did not notice any change between cd and vinyl but that could be my age.So yet again thankyou such a simple fix. I will how we get on will try a new stylus first ok thanks

Reactions: insider9

Gray

did not notice any change between cd and vinyl ........will try a new stylus first.
From what you've said, you wouldn't benefit from a new turntable, a new stylus is a good idea though (if only to protect your precious vinyl).
If you've still got it, check your instruction manual to see if there's anything about correctly setting the tracking force - around 2 grams is about right.
To avoid vibration pickup issues, try to make sure your turntable is not placed on the same surface as your speakers, which work best spaced apart and preferably on their own stands.
I'm pleased to have helped. Best wishes

daisie

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
From what you've said, you wouldn't benefit from a new turntable, a new stylus is a good idea though (if only to protect your precious vinyl).
If you've still got it, check your instruction manual to see if there's anything about correctly setting the tracking force - around 2 grams is about right.
To avoid vibration pickup issues, try to make sure your turntable is not placed on the same surface as your speakers, which work best spaced apart and preferably on their own stands.
I'm pleased to have helped. Best wishes
its nice to have people like yourself to give info like you have just great thanks. Now going through my vinyl needs cleaning but will get there ,have new stylus on order so thanks again and daisie is my nickname by the way, DAVE

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts