Question Hi-fi usb cable

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

.. .for me it made a difference.
I never doubt it when people say they perceive a difference.
However, I will respectfully ask you the same question that I've asked others here.
Without seeing them, could you identify whether you were connected with the stock or ifi USB cable?
(Someone here said he could with an analogue cable - that would be impressive. If you can do it with a USB cable, you're in genuine miracle territory 👍).

Are we getting personal here? Are you the one defining who can have a valid opinion on a public forum, so that you can keep running your business? "I heard their cables in the early 90s " - does this argument have any relevant connection with the subject?
I have 2 AQ HDMI cables and 1 optical cable. I have had couple of USB cables, currently have 3. 2 QED, 1 Wireworld. In case my HDMI cables all the generic ones with the right specification can keep up with AQ.
Between a printer cable and the QED New Reference High-Resolution USB anyone could hear a difference. Between my cheaper QED and the more expensive one I am not so sure, since both have decent wire and shielding. And I think my systems are quite revealing. Yes, you need a well designed and crafted cable. No, you do not have to buy 1,5 m for 689 pound :eek:
Considering the measurment history of AQ on ASR, I am pretty certain we would be all suprised by the greatness of DBS...
If you want to put 100% faith in ARSe‘s measurements, be my guest. After his bungled measurement of a certain integrated amplifier, he’s proven he’s not fully competent in properly measuring equipment. His disciples show their intelligence with the comments that follow.

If you quote me, quote the whole sentence, not just a section of it, taking it out of context. I said that ever since I heard their cables in the 90s, I’ve generally liked what they’ve done.

Anyone can have an opinion, but whether it is worth anything depends on the knowledge the opinionee has about the subject. Most people don’t even know what DBS does. And most people listen to cables rather than measure them.

shadders

Anyone can have an opinion, but whether it is worth anything depends on the knowledge the opinionee has about the subject. Most people don’t even know what DBS does. And most people listen to cables rather than measure them.
Hi,
For anyone who does not know what DBS is, it is a invention (Patented ?) by Audioquest. Review here by Audio Science Review :
Regards,
Shadders.

podknocker

It doesn't matter, how great the materials are, or how technical the specification, there's nothing in the cable that can change the data, travelling through it. You can't add sound quality to binary information. The sender and receiver have the same data, assuming error correction is in place and the cable is unbroken etc. Here's more overpriced nonsense, that sadly, many people with deep pockets, but little understanding of electricity and physics, will pay for. I thought this was an April fools joke, when I saw it:

Thankfully, it comes with EEDS External Earth Drain System, so that should make it better. Lots of facts, about the product, but no details of how it actually makes a difference. No technical measurements, explaining why it would be beneficial to buy this thing. I bet the trade descriptions people, would have a field day, with products like this, if they actually tried to tell people why it's better. Never happen, because they know they can't justify why it's so expensive. It's all made up nonsense. Harry Enfield's 'I saw you coming', springs to mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr
Hi,
For anyone who does not know what DBS is, it is a invention (Patented ?) by Audioquest. Review here by Audio Science Review :
Regards,
Shadders.
Good job we all listen to test tones then isn’t it… :)

shadders

Good job we all listen to test tones then isn’t it… :)
Hi,
Actually we do listen to tones. You can take the fourier transform of a signal which breaks it down into specific frequencies. As long as the system (amplifier, DAC etc) is linear and time invariant, then test tones are a perfect test for determining the distortion (non linearity) of the target system.

In engineering, signal systems analysis is very powerful in analysing a system such as an amplifier. The results it produces will far exceed the human ear in terms of understanding how things work. It will not tell someone whether they prefer an amplifier or speaker. This seems to be the constant misconception about measurements by subjectivists.

Anyway, USB cables do not have a sound. They may change the sound of a target system if the source (laptop example) has a very noisy ground and the DAC has design issues.

Regards,
Shadders.

It doesn’t really matter how ARSe tests things anyway. The overly negative nature of the dialogue in his “reviews” directly contradicts the given reason for the forum existing, and it doesn’t look like he does it for fun. He should be presenting his findings objectively, but his tone creates a witch hunt by his followers with pages and pages of slagging off products and manufacturers.

shadders

It doesn’t really matter how ARSe tests things anyway. The overly negative nature of the dialogue in his “reviews” directly contradicts the given reason for the forum existing, and it doesn’t look like he does it for fun. He should be presenting his findings objectively, but his tone creates a witch hunt by his followers with pages and pages of slagging off products and manufacturers.
Hi,
From an engineering perspective, then that is what people do. They are analysing the product and the measurements, and discussing the details on why it works or it does not, as per the marketing literature, or the results.

You may interpret as negative, but what is happening is that they are seeing through the marketing claims. Some kit gets very good responses - generally those that measure well and are relatively cheap. This is the general approach to engineering, criticising the entity, to see where it could be improved. There is no perfect product, so everything will in general, get criticised.

Audio Science Review is an invaluable resource. for detailed information. I am glad it exists, else we would only have Hifi mags and subjectivity for USB cables.

Regards,
Shadders.

I disagree. You can measure and objectively state the results, without snarky comments or snide remarks about the manufacturer, the product, and the aspect under discussion, which is blatantly obvious within the opening lines - doesn’t happen when he likes the measurements.

I’m sure most people can make their own mind up about USB cables, and other cables for that matter, as many people seem to do without personal experience (and at the recommendation of others). But there are those who aren’t convinced by the “measures the same, sounds the same” mantra from those who only measure. Personal experience seems to be less important nowadays.

I always find it amusing when people take the time to chime in with their negativity on posts on Facebook that hold absolutely zero interest for them - if someone believes cables make zero difference, why are they reading cables posts? And why are they wasting their life commenting? I’ll tell you why - because they’re sad. Sad, bitter, lonely people who want to spread their negativity far and wide, probably because it’s the only human interaction they get due to their nature. Some forums and Facebook groups are just full of it, draining the last drop of enjoyment out of the hobby that remains in its frail grasp. No wonder there’s less and less people getting into this hobby when they read shite like that.

I think I’ve said all I need to say, so over and out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

Gray

if someone believes cables make zero difference, why are they reading cables posts? And why are they wasting their life commenting?
From what I've seen, a higher proportion of Newbies read this forum than any other hi-fi forum.
If cable threads, were an echo chamber, filled with only one point of view, such people could be set up for spending far too much money and being very disappointed.
Of course, those people will end up with their own opinions - but I'm glad that, if this is their first stop, they get a balance of opinions....and facts.
Thank goodness for those 'wasting their lives' commenting (a bit like Brexiteers, they ain't all vindictive, horrible people, just people with different opinions, that's all 👍).

shadders

I always find it amusing when people take the time to chime in with their negativity on posts on Facebook that hold absolutely zero interest for them - if someone believes cables make zero difference, why are they reading cables posts? And why are they wasting their life commenting? I’ll tell you why - because they’re sad. Sad, bitter, lonely people who want to spread their negativity far and wide, probably because it’s the only human interaction they get due to their nature. Some forums and Facebook groups are just full of it, draining the last drop of enjoyment out of the hobby that remains in its frail grasp. No wonder there’s less and less people getting into this hobby when they read shite like that.
Hi,
People who have a different point of view, is just that, different in their approach. Forums are not a safe space for people with only one approach. There are hifi forums where only subjectivity is allowed, but i don't see objectivists complaining about those.

Don't let other peoples different opinions bother you so much. Here, people will get opinions from all angles, which makes it so much better than other forums.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: abacus

podknocker

Ricky Gervais once said 'You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts. Truth is not a democracy. It doesn't give a s*it what you believe' The truth is, fancy USB cables cannot and do not, improve sound quality.

Reactions: shadders

Vincent Kars

The truth is, fancy USB cables cannot and do not, improve sound quality.
This is what a entry level ($1400) USB cable can do:

shadders

Hi,
For the OP, here is a test by Audio Science review on a $1,400 USB cable and an Amazon basic - result is that there is no difference.
Regards,
Shadders

podknocker

Nordost cable $1400 and Amazon basic cable $14? and no technical difference? No difference to sound anyway. It's truly incredible that someone will pay that much, for some silver/copper wire, covered in a bit of durable plastic. Some companies are making a fortune with this stuff. I'm beginning to think many of them do have a 'department for the gullible' to see what they can get away with. It doesn't cost them a great deal to make this stuff, so just see what happens. They can't lose out really.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr and TrevC

TrevC

I disagree. You can measure and objectively state the results, without snarky comments or snide remarks about the manufacturer, the product, and the aspect under discussion, which is blatantly obvious within the opening lines - doesn’t happen when he likes the measurements.

I’m sure most people can make their own mind up about USB cables, and other cables for that matter, as many people seem to do without personal experience (and at the recommendation of others). But there are those who aren’t convinced by the “measures the same, sounds the same” mantra from those who only measure. Personal experience seems to be less important nowadays.

I think I’ve said all I need to say, so over and out.
The truth is important. That's why.

Reactions: mgmasterv2

mgmasterv2

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
I h
The truth is there is no verifiable evidence that different USB cables make a difference to the sound. (If there was there would be no need USB cable threads)
Do USB cables vary in quality? Yes, however it will only alter how long they will last and the length you can use before dropouts occur. (They cannot affect the analogue sound that reaches your ears, as they are digital signals and thus need converting to analogue before you listen to them, hence the better (And usually more expensive) design of DAC gives an improvement over a lessor one)
If you believe the above to be a lie, then provide verifiable evidence, as just saying I heard a difference is not fact, just your opinion, which everyone is entitled to.

Bill
Unfortunately a lot of time engineers,mds and so called experts think they are gods and they know everything, it's like they can't be wrong because they know everything and there is nothing new that can be discovered.
Near my home town after a lot of research experts reached the conclusion to build a dam ,10 years later the dam made our city unlivable.
I know the sience , but more than that I tust what i can hear.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts