Hi Fi stereo music with AV receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

This is my first post in this forum though i have browsed here plenty of times before for advice.
Basically, I have recently moved into a place where I can finally realise my dream of having 5.1 surround sound for movies. However, I have also been putting off getting a new set of hi-fi separates for some time because I had never previously had a room good enough to make the most of a decent hi-fi system. Now that I'm in a position to be able to get a new hi-fi and surround sound system I can't afford to buy both at the standard I would like - at least not yet.
I think I will buy the surround sound system first as it can at least play stereo music and vice versa is obviously not possible.

I'm looking at getting the Monitor Audio RX6 AV12 speaker package as I don't have much space for speakers behind the couch but the rear speakers in this package can be placed to the side thanks to the diffusive dipole setting. To keep me ticking over until I can afford a new hi-fi system I want to make sure the AV receiver I buy will also be reasonable for music. I understand most AV receivers won't produce hi-fi quality to the standard of a stereo amplifier of the same price point but I am willing to compromise for a while (and it should still be better than the separates i've had for 8 years now).

I'm looking to spend up to about £1500 on the AVR and was looking at the Marantz SR7005 as an option as I have heard from some reviews that this is good for music, though others have claimed it could be better. Is this a good choice and do you know of any decent alternatives?

For playing CDs (my primary source of music) I was also wondering whether I would get away with using the new Marantz Blu-ray player the UD7006 (i could also then stream lossless from my itunes) and whether this would be a good match for the SR7005 for stereo? Would I be better off buying something like the Marantz CD6003 (only £250) to feed into the SR7005 for playing cds? Obviously I could use the CD6003 + the PM6003 and use speaker switches for the front RX6s but would this £250 stereo amplifier be better than the stereo channel in the £1300 AV receiver (with a pure direct mode) and make the most of the RX6s?

Sorry for all the questions but this seems to be a difficult thing to answer from any previous threads I have found. Any help you can provide will be much appreciated.

(In case it matters i mainly listen to Metal music so detail, clarity and instrument separation is important and i'm not a bass-head - the bass guitar and double-kick drums need to be tight, precise and have impact without being bloated or or over-whelming the guitars and vocals)

Stu

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My first piece of advice (which should get me brownie points) is to get the WHF mag that comes out on the 10th (I think). It covers some interesting AV amps.

Arcam is usually considered the best choice if 2 channel is important. The AVR400 is "nearish" your budget and just happens to be in the WHF review. Only you can decide if it is good with Metal - might be better than you would think.

There is nothing wrong with the Marantz but I haven't heard a comparison with the Arcam or that speaker package.

Second piece of advice is, take on board what you read here and then start lining up demos.

You might be happy with a cheap AV amp with pre-outs into a good 2 channel one (with ht by-pass) for L & R and stereo duties....hard to know until you try.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
My first piece of advice (which should get me brownie points) is to get the WHF mag that comes out on the 10th (I think). It covers some interesting AV amps. Arcam is usually considered the best choice if 2 channel is important. The AVR400 is "nearish" your budget and just happens to be in the WHF review. Only you can decide if it is good with Metal - might be better than you would think. There is nothing wrong with the Marantz but I haven't heard a comparison with the Arcam or that speaker package. Second piece of advice is, take on board what you read here and then start lining up demos. You might be happy with a cheap AV amp with pre-outs into a good 2 channel one (with ht by-pass) for L & R and stereo duties....hard to know until you try.

I'll definitely check out the mag this month thanks. The Arcam sounds like it could be good (although it doesn't look as nice as the Marantz). I've considered the option of using pre-outs to a good stereo amp though I'm a bit unsure about using the preamp with an AV amp with the power amp of a stereo amp. Surely this wouldn't be as good as using a separate integrated stereo amp and just using speaker switches? Also, given the speaker package I'm looking don't particularly want cheap AV amp - I want to try make the most of these speakers. I want to have my cake and eat it by having good surround sound as well as good stereo sound.
smiley-laughing.gif

I'll certainly be lining up some demos though I'm a bit disappointed that Sevenoaks don't seem to have the Marantz AV receiver to compare with the Arcam.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Have a look at the new Anthem receivers.,Canadian.

The MRX 500 will fit your budget but even better the MRX 700 at approx £2000.

They are awsome with music!!

They have a very powerfull room correction EQ.

They dispense with lots of options other AVR's have ie streaming etc but that can easily be overcome. They just concentrate on sound and pic quality no frills.

Peter Tyson and The Home Cinema centre stock them. Not widely stocked in the UK as they have only recently started to be imported by sim2

Seriously good amps. WHF will be reviewing one soon i believe/hope.

As already stated the Arcam avr 400 is being reviewed this month in WHF and again fantastic with music.

I lean towards the Anthem for its room correction which I think is important, but thats just my view.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
stoneeye said:
CnoEvil said:
My first piece of advice (which should get me brownie points) is to get the WHF mag that comes out on the 10th (I think). It covers some interesting AV amps. Arcam is usually considered the best choice if 2 channel is important. The AVR400 is "nearish" your budget and just happens to be in the WHF review. Only you can decide if it is good with Metal - might be better than you would think. There is nothing wrong with the Marantz but I haven't heard a comparison with the Arcam or that speaker package. Second piece of advice is, take on board what you read here and then start lining up demos. You might be happy with a cheap AV amp with pre-outs into a good 2 channel one (with ht by-pass) for L & R and stereo duties....hard to know until you try.

I'll definitely check out the mag this month thanks. The Arcam sounds like it could be good (although it doesn't look as nice as the Marantz). I've considered the option of using pre-outs to a good stereo amp though I'm a bit unsure about using the preamp with an AV amp with the power amp of a stereo amp. Surely this wouldn't be as good as using a separate integrated stereo amp and just using speaker switches? Also, given the speaker package I'm looking don't particularly want cheap AV amp - I want to try make the most of these speakers. I want to have my cake and eat it by having good surround sound as well as good stereo sound.
smiley-laughing.gif

I'll certainly be lining up some demos though I'm a bit disappointed that Sevenoaks don't seem to have the Marantz AV receiver to compare with the Arcam.

Good advice from Ric71 - I've only heard the dearer Anthems and then only with AV (v.good).

If you go the pre-out route, the stereo source is plugged directly into stereo amp. When listening to two channel, the AV amp is turned off.

Provided the stereo amp has HT bypass, when using for av, it uses its power amps for front left and right (controlled by avr pre). Since 65% or so comes from the centre, this works well.

If the amp doesn't have HT by-pass, there is still a "work around"; it's just that for AV, the signal for L & R channels will have to go through the pre-amps on both of them.

The AVR400 has pre-outs, so my advice would be, that if it was your avr of choice, it might give all you need in one box. If not, plug in a good stereo amp at a later date.

Hope this helps

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts