Hi-Fi racks, moving the equipment about changes sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Moving the amp and cd player onto the bottom 2 shelves of my 4 shelf support greatly improves the sound. (Perhaps this is obvious because the bottom shelves are more stable)

I've also noticed that even small changes in the position on a shelf also has an effect. The best sound from the amp comes from being somewhere in between the centre and front facing edge. The ideal position for the cd player is pushed up to the front edge where the glass plates rests on the beam.

Should this be, is the equipment support I'm using is less than effective, or has anyone else noticed?

So maybe the larger the support (with more shelves) the better, and the most critical source and amplification components should be placed near the bottom.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You must have ears of a bat or listen at window rattling volume. I don't even notice any difference between racks at low to normal levels and rarely push volume for long enough periods to find out. I recently even placed some stuff on the floor (!) without any noticeable detriment to sq. Speaker stands and de-coupling floorstanders is a different matter but as for hifi racks, good looking, sturdy supports are enough for me. If someone comes up with one that dusts itself I'll buy one.

regards

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:If someone comes up with one that dusts itself I'll buy one.

I'll second that. Dragon's Den'ers get going.

But to answer the OP, I don't notice that much difference either. My turntable benefits from a decent support (but again only comparing a reasonable hifi stand versus a dodgy bookcase) as it's a non-suspended design, but the rest of the electronics don't seem bothered by placement...

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I've noticed the sound of turntables changing when moved to a different rack.

My pre amp is prone to RFI and moving that away from other components helps (as do ferrites).

I'm currently building a pair of new racks using the cabinets from an old pair of PA speakers. I'm going for rigidity and mass as my main weapons. I don't expect I'll notice any sonic difference over the Target table and office desk frame I'm currently using.

Wow, I just weighhed one. 25Kg without shelves or equipment. Heavy.

A

Anonymous

We find that higher quality Hifi racks like the Spectral AV Furniture gives a superior sound quality than the low budget option, the ultra thick glass simply reduces resonance and unwanted vibrations which ends up producing a higher quality sound. Atacama produce some excellent quality racks for people with medium budgets, but I think it is well worth investing in a quality rack if you are serious about hifi.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Good unbiased opinion that
emotion-5.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Big AV:We find that higher quality Hifi racks like the Spectral AV Furniture gives a superior sound quality than the low budget option, the ultra thick glass simply reduces resonance and unwanted vibrations which ends up producing a higher quality sound. Atacama produce some excellent quality racks for people with medium budgets, but I think it is well worth investing in a quality rack if you are serious about hifi.

Welcome to the Forums, Big AV, but - as per no9 of our House Rules -please disclose your details in your signature and bio.

idc

Captain Destructo:

Moving the amp and cd player onto the bottom 2 shelves of my 4 shelf support greatly improves the sound. (Perhaps this is obvious because the bottom shelves are more stable) .......

.......So maybe the larger the support (with more shelves) the better, and the most critical source and amplification components should be placed near the bottom.

I found this as well. But I think it had more to do with easier/better cable management and improved ventilation for the amp, since the rack had no discernable difference between shelves.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Captain Destructo:

Moving the amp and cd player onto the bottom 2 shelves of my 4 shelf support greatly improves the sound. (Perhaps this is obvious because the bottom shelves are more stable)

I've also noticed that even small changes in the position on a shelf also has an effect. The best sound from the amp comes from being somewhere in between the centre and front facing edge. The ideal position for the cd player is pushed up to the front edge where the glass plates rests on the beam.

Should this be, is the equipment support I'm using is less than effective, or has anyone else noticed?

So maybe the larger the support (with more shelves) the better, and the most critical source and amplification components should be placed near the bottom.

It does sound that your support is less than sturdy. I'm a big advocate of racks as mine made a world of difference to the sound, far more tight rhythmn in the bassline. As for positioning I don;t know as my CDP is at the top and my amps are at the bottom and always have been. Heaviest lower to lower the centre of gravity works for me.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:As for positioning I don;t know as my CDP is at the top and my amps are at the bottom and always have been. Heaviest lower to lower the centre of gravity works for me.

Lunch%20on%20a%20Skyscraper.jpg

"Eh, waddya say? Now he wants the CD at the top AND the amp is gonna change? Okay boys, we gotta start this thing again!"

A

Anonymous

When I changed from my old Target rack to an Optimum AV rack I was amazed with the improvement. I'm not sure whether it is more rigid, glass shelves, isolated shelves or lack of rocking on spikes but it tightend up the sound considerably.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts