Hi Fi Amps intergrated with AV recievers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've done some searching around over the past few weeks (online only), looking for Hi Fi amps which have a unity gain function. This allows the hi fi amp to effectively act as a power amp for the front L & R channels, and the reciever powering the centre and rear channels, whist in 5.1 operation. I apperciate that theortically any hi fi amp can be used with an intergrated reciever, as long as the reciever has pre outs for the front L & R Channels but i specifically want the intergrated hi fi amps pre amp phase to be bypassed, allowing the AV amp to control volume levels. Although this is a rather long winded opening (my bad) it does lead to my question.
If anyone knows of hi fi amps which fits this criteria could you please list them for me? 
I'm looking to spend around £1500  on the hi fi, and i've been considering a pre/power amp combo if possible so i can biamp my speakers (B & W 684). As they are power hungry i'd like the amp to have a fair amount of power behind it.
I have found it difficult to find definative information on this. Official websites seem vague to me, listing specifications such as "AV compatable inputs" or "fixed level input" or just no imformation at all, even though i've read on certain forums that the amp is capable of this function. Which seems odd, as for me this is a major selling point. Perhaps i'm in a niche market.
Many thanks to everyone that has taken the time to read this, and forgive me if the question seems rather banal.

A

Anonymous

I've just spotted your signature.. why not a Naim Nait 5i?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the speedy reply Octopo.
Do all of the naim and cyrus amps feature this function? I have considered the nait 5i as i love my cd5i, but i'm worried that it won't quite have the power to drive the 684s to true to life volumes for symphonies. Have you had any experience with the nait 684 combo?ÿ

A

Anonymous

No but I'm watching Eastender's through a 5i in unity gain feeding B&W 805s now and I've never heard the cockney accent sound so dynamic.

A

Anonymous

I have a Cyrus 8vs2 integrated amp connected to pre outs from an Onkyo 875. As far as I'm aware all of the Cyrus amps have this function, although they don't seem to advertise it. To get it to work, with the mains power off, press and hold the 'av' button on the face and turn the mains power on. You'll know it's worked because the lights on the front do a little dance for a couple of seconds.

A

Anonymous

Thanks MV.
I haven't heard any of the cyrus amps yet but i believe that they are excellent. I'll have to sort an audition with my nearest dealer.

A

Anonymous

The Cyrus is a great amp, however I think you will achieve better results with the Naim combo than Cyrus/Naim.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hogman:Thanks for the speedy reply Octopo.
Do all of the naim and cyrus amps feature this function? I have considered the nait 5i as i love my cd5i, but i'm worried that it won't quite have the power to drive the 684s to true to life volumes for symphonies. Have you had any experience with the nait 684 combo?ÿ

My Cambridge Audio 840 has all that you need and a bit more in my opinion. It's a very powerful amp and it offers fixed level inputs so that once you have calibrated your receiver with all your speakers, you cannot alter the volume on the stereo amp when using it with the receiver. The V2 of my amp is £750 and a bit of a steal at that price.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hogman:Thanks MV.
I haven't heard any of the cyrus amps yet but i believe that they are excellent. I'll have to sort an audition with my nearest dealer.

I've just noticed a problem. You won't be able to connect any stereo amp in the way you want with your current receiver. The Onkyo 605 does not have front left and right pre outs. Neither does the 606 or the Denon 1909.

A

Anonymous

A reciever upgrade is definetly in order (i wondered myself when posting the thread if anyone would notice :-o). I've been waiting to see what the new onkyo and yamaha recievers have to offer before upgrading. Been close on a couple of occasions to buying the onkyo 905.

John Duncan

Octopo:No but I'm watching Eastender's through a 5i in unity gain feeding B&W 805s now and I've never heard the cockney accent sound so dynamic.

Is this a legitimate excuse for getting an A30.2?

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Octopo:No but I'm watching Eastender's through a 5i in unity gain feeding B&W 805s now and I've never heard the cockney accent sound so dynamic.Is this a legitimate excuse for getting an A30.2?

How does Patsy sound through that?ÿ

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Stupid.(realism - tick)

Great I thought the 5i might be a bit coloured, this is a relief.

daveh75

Hogman:I've done some searching around over the past few weeks (online only), looking for Hi Fi amps which have a unity gain function. This allows the hi fi amp to effectively act as a power amp for the front L & R channels, and the reciever powering the centre and rear channels, whist in 5.1 operation. I apperciate that theortically any hi fi amp can be used with an intergrated reciever, as long as the reciever has pre outs for the front L & R Channels but i specifically want the intergrated hi fi amps pre amp phase to be bypassed, allowing the AV amp to control volume levels. Although this is a rather long winded opening (my bad) it does lead to my question.

If anyone knows of hi fi amps which fits this criteria could you please list them for me?

I'm looking to spend around £1500 on the hi fi, and i've been considering a pre/power amp combo if possible so i can biamp my speakers (B & W 684). As they are power hungry i'd like the amp to have a fair amount of power behind it.

I have found it difficult to find definative information on this. Official websites seem vague to me, listing specifications such as "AV compatable inputs" or "fixed level input" or just no imformation at all, even though i've read on certain forums that the amp is capable of this function. Which seems odd, as for me this is a major selling point. Perhaps i'm in a niche market.

Many thanks to everyone that has taken the time to read this, and forgive me if the question seems rather banal.

newer arcams have this function

A

Anonymous

These are all great.
Thanks Gerardasnails. I have a richer sounds just a few hundred yards froom my door so i'll go and check out the cambridge amp. Hopefully they'll let me test it at home as i don't fancy lugging my cdp and floorstanders to the shop. From what i've read it seems to have the power i'm looking for with the option of an additional power amp.
Cheers Daveh75. I've given my cd5i a test run with an arcam amp and it seemed very smooth and relaxed. Infact it almost lead to a rather embarrassing moment in the hi fi store (original sound-york). I become so lost and relaxed in its sound i was on the verge of drifting off. Lol.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hogman:These are all great.
Thanks Gerardasnails. I have a richer sounds just a few hundred yards froom my door so i'll go and check out the cambridge amp. Hopefully they'll let me test it at home as i don't fancy lugging my cdp and floorstanders to the shop. From what i've read it seems to have the power i'm looking for with the option of an additional power amp.
Cheers Daveh75. I've given my cd5i a test run with an arcam amp and it seemed very smooth and relaxed. Infact it almost lead to a rather embarrassing moment in the hi fi store (original sound-york). I become so lost and relaxed in its sound i was on the verge of drifting off. Lol.

I believe that Richer Sounds offer a very good option for you then.

"We're confident that you're buying a great product, however we also understand that buying audio equipment online, or even in a purpose built dem room in one of our stores, is totally different to hearing the equipment in your very own home with your favourite music.

We strive to get you the very best result to suit your room and your budget. Therefore, if you're not completely satisfied, and we mean, "completely satisfied", you can return your purchase within 30 days and we'll refund your money in full."

Satisfaction Guarantee only available on Cambridge Audio 740A, 740C, 840A, 840A V2and 840C. You must repack the products with all original packaging and please make sure that everything the units came with is included. We will inspect it to ensure it has been returned back to us in its original condition. Upon a satisfactory inspection, we'll issue a full refund.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts