Hi all would the Marantz pm6007 be enough of an upgrade over the pm6006uk?

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi, thinking of purchasing the pm6007 but not sure if it’s worth it, as already have the pm6006uk version. Tempted to save more and try and get hold of a second hand rega brio 2017. It will be paired with p2 and q acoustics 3030i. My budget is limited but do have the hiring upgrade itch lol. Would love some advice. Cheers all.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Hi, thinking of purchasing the pm6007 but not sure if it’s worth it, as already have the pm6006uk version. Tempted to save more and try and get hold of a second hand rega brio 2017. It will be paired with p2 and q acoustics 3030i. My budget is limited but do have the hiring upgrade itch lol. Would love some advice. Cheers all.
Go and listen. I have worked in the television and audio manufacturing sector and the reason why new models are introduced is to lower manufacturing costs by, for example, lowering the component count on circuit boards and newer integrated circuits. This makes the product cheaper to make while pushing to raise prices. This practice is more benefit to the manufacturer than the consumer and often the performance remains the same or degrade. Newer is not necessarily better.

Reactions: shadders

Basso

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
I think you will be swapping boxes instead of improving anything. Only you can decide if there is an improvement and it is worth the outlay. I think that you would be looking at the £1000+ range of amp to upgrade. My opinion is that the Marantz is a great amp.

What are you unhappy about with the sound you currently have? I would look at potential cartridge upgrade first, are speakers optimised etc. if you are happy with your current sound and set up then just enjoy the music until you identify something that needs changed but let the sound tell you what needs changed then look at the equipment to rectify that.

As a general rule of thumb you need to wait for 2-3 generations later before improvements are enough for an upgrade.

Bill
Pehaps, in the past, I would have agreed with you but now the current pace of development of DACs especially mean that the next generation could be seen to be a big enough upgrade to warrant investment.
However, in this instance, it is not the case.

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
I think you will be swapping boxes instead of improving anything. Only you can decide if there is an improvement and it is worth the outlay. I think that you would be looking at the £1000+ range of amp to upgrade. My opinion is that the Marantz is a great amp.

What are you unhappy about with the sound you currently have? I would look at potential cartridge upgrade first, are speakers optimised etc. if you are happy with your current sound and set up then just enjoy the music until you identify something that needs changed but let the sound tell you what needs changed then look at the equipment to rectify that.
Hi thanks for that, the cartridge I have is the at vm95sh and quite happy with that…just looking for a bit more clarity and oomph sound wise, a bit more of an engaging listen to be honest.

shadders

Hi,
Unless the later model Marantz has significant changes, then there is no real upgrade as others have said. Again, as others have said, spend the money on a new cartridge, as that will have the biggest impact, if you keep the same speakers.

Regards,
Shadders.

robdmarsh

Try a Denon pma 800ne if you can find one. I had the Marantz 6006uk for a bit and I didn't like it much, too soft and unexciting. The Denon really surprised me. Here in the UK it's £429 new and can be found used for quite a lot less. I think you might find it to be quite a lot better than your 6006.

matthewpianist

Having had both I'd say the Brio is significantly better than the PM6007 but, as others have said, you'll make a more significant upgrade by either saving for longer or looking at the second hand market.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts