Help with upgrade choice please

Ashley

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Hello, my current system is a Sony DN610, Tannoy SFX5.1, 40NX713, and bdps370 I'm looking to upgrade the blu ray player as load times for films are killing me. My problem is with no real budget I've picked 3 that cover a range of prices, but don't really understand the offers ces between them. Musical capabilities will become more important so that is one factor, also I don't play DVDs so am not interested in up scaling capabilities. I don't know which have 4K up sampling but imagine that will become more important as the years go by. My choices are BDPS490 (£90), BDPS790 (£200), or the UD5007 (£350). So can you help me with this choice, I like the marantz most and the BDPS490 least, but don't know what extra you get as you move up the price scale.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Also consider the Panasonic DMP BDT-500, at about £250.

Surely if you put the model names and numbers into google you will find several links giving reviews and specifications of all these machines, no? Several have been reviewed right here in What Hi-Fi, it really is not too hard to find out their features and what the reviewers thought of them.

Have you updated the firmware in your Sony S370? Also, try playing a blu ray disc with a 1GB flash drive inserted in one of the USB ports. If the player's slow as it's trying to access BD live, the flash drive often speeds things up.

1) I have not seen any difference in blu ray playback between players at different price points.

2) Your surround system is modest & will struggle to bring out the audio difference between players. Demo to confirm the same.

I would suggest to look for a player with fastest loading time. Bear in mind that blu ray discs will be slow to load as compared to DVDs, whatever player you buy.

Ashley

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, BB if there is no difference in play back quality why the price difference? Apart from 4K I imagine most extras are relatively similar. As for musical abilities I'd guess the marantz would win, but again doubt a great deal of difference. I would always be more tempted by marantz over Sony, but was just curious as to differences for each price point. I've read th reviews but didn't find them overly useful for comparisons. They both it five stars so what is it that makes the 790 worth twice the price?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Slightly off topic and no offence intended, but why are people so bothered about load times?

If you’re happy with everything else and don’t need all the connectivity stuff, why can’t you wait a few moments for it to load if you’re happy with everything else? My BDP-S360 was hardly quick to load but I was more than happy with the PQ and I only changed it because it was so chunky (vain I know!)

I considered upgrading my 380 to the 790 purely because of it’s reputed DVD upscaling capabilities, but I finally decided against it as I realised that most of my future purchases were going to be Blu-ray discs in any case so decided not to waste the cash.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts