Nintendo Wii
Samsung HT Z320 Home cinema

I was going to connect it as follows:
SKY+ - TV via Scart
PS3 - TV via HDMi
PS3/Bluray - Z320 via optical
Wii - TV via Component
Z320 - TV via HDMi

I don't want to utilise the TV speakers for anything because quite frankly they are a bit pants. However, I want full 5.1 audio from the PS3 but if I link the PS3 - TV via HDMi and the TV - Z320 via Optical then the TV instruction manual reckons I'll only get 2 channel audio.

If I link the PS3 - Z320 directly via optical then I get it but I'll have to use the TV speakers for the Wii and Sky+ (which may soon be Sky HD and then I'll want 5.1 for that too).

I want to get the best from this setup so what do I need to do?

Thanks in advance guys

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, usually the biggest problems with all-in-one units is their lack of inputs as you're seeing here. Fortunately, I think there's a way round this in this instance. You definitely want to connect the PS3 up to the Z320 via optical to ensure you get surround sound. However, you can also connect the Samsung TV to the Z320 via the standard RCA phono outputs as indicated on page 6 of the TV manual - with connection method number 7. These hook into the Z320 Aux In 2 jacks (as indicated on page 11 of the Z320 manual, number 4 on the rear panel picture and also on page 27 of the Z320 manual) and you can the set this to the D.IN input for the PS3 and the AUX 2 input for everything else.

If you get Sky HD, your only choice then to ensure you get 5.1 for both this and the PS3 is either an optical switcher (like this) which allows you to connect more than one optical input, or you'd need to upgrade the Samsung to a unit with more connectivity - perhaps one with an HDMI input capacble of receiving multichannel PCM so you can take advantage of the HD audio from the PS3...
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Nice one. I have wondered why some kit come with such limited connections. Sky+ for example could really drag itself out of the stone age and at least offer a component connection as well as the trusty old scart. Wouldn't be a prob I guess if the TV just pumped out 5.1 through its optical out.

I'll do what you suggested and when I get Sky HD i'll just upgrade the cinema unit to a decent amp with connections galore.

Thanks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS