Help with phono preamp for nad C356 BEE please.

Viking

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I bought a nad C356BEE amp a year ago and would like to connect it up to my old Dual CS 505-4 (Audiophile Concept) turntable. After trying to connect it, I soon realised that the amp had no phono inputs. I tried to connect it to other inputs but the volume was nearly non existent. Now I found out that I need a phono preamp module to use the turntable. Typical! My question is this...should I buy the NAD pp375 phono module which is made for this amp and fits nicely inside, (if so, is it a good one)? Or is there a better alternative? I'm using the amp with a pair of B&W 683's.

I have just come back from Amsterdam where I went to a fantastic record shop and I'd really love to get my old albums out and playing again.

Thanks for your help.

I'd pretty much suggest it would all hinge on cost. You do not say what your cartridge is but I'm guessing it is a Moving Magnet type in which case you would be OK with the module.

Have not heard it but generally there is nothing wrong with NAD phono stages that they used to fit to their amps in the past. Nothing brilliant of course but good enough for the cost of the amp itself.

Can you fit this module yourself? If so what sort of price would it be?

Viking

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your answer. I'm using an Ortofon 10 stylus but have no idea if that means it's a moving magnet type or not. I've seen the phono module for the NAD for sale on eBay for around £100, but I think it usually costs about £200.

I don't see why I couldn't fit the nad module myself. Looks pretty straight forward and does eliminate any additional leads out the back of the amp.

Thanks again for your advice.

iMark

The Ortofon OM 10 is an entry level moving magnet cartridge and a very common fit with Dual record players.

I wouldn't spend too much on a phono module with your kit. It's nice enough as it is, but the phono preamp is not the weakest link in the chain. The problem with record players is that you have to spend a lot of money to get much better results once you're at the level of your Dual CS 505-4.

In your case the neatest option is the NAD module. It gets good reviews here in NL and is for sale for EUR 129 (around GBP 95). It's got interesting features like being able to switch between MM and MC.

I'm not exactly sure how you plug in the module to the amp but I'm sure it's not difficult.

Viking

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your help. I think it's probably the best solution for this level of equipment as well. Just looking forward to hearing some of my old and some rare albums again.

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts