Help with Denon AVC3700h and B&W PV1 Sub

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 196519

All the Blu Ray Audio discs i have Gel are only Stereo (2.0), Not seen one that has a 5.1 track on these discs.
2.0 Master Audio then, it still sounds a lot different than stereo though.

D

Deleted member 196519

Has anyone else got any idea's on how to get my amp to sound better or should I just return it?
The PV1 is fiddly but if you roll it over on the side it’s the first dial on the sub which adjusts the sound. Turn this round with a coin and see if the sound turns up. Let us know how you get on.

Big_AL

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
The PV1 is fiddly but if you roll it over on the side it’s the first dial on the sub which adjusts the sound. Turn this round with a coin and see if the sound turns up. Let us know how you get on.
Hi Gel, I did that last night and I could hear more of a rumble from the sub, but the problem is the sound is very bright and seems to lack bass, which is not how it sounded with my Denon 2310

D

Deleted member 196519

Hi Gel, I did that last night and I could hear more of a rumble from the sub, but the problem is the sound is very bright and seems to lack bass, which is not how it sounded with my Denon 2310
I would return it and keep with your Denon 2310. Do you need any of the new features though?

Big_AL

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
I would return it and keep with your Denon 2310. Do you need any of the new features though?
I got the amp so that I could connect everything to it, as my Denon 2310 isn't 4k compatible, plus I thought as I bought my 2310 in 2009 that there would have been big improvements in sound since then. The 3700 got brilliant reviews and that's what made me go for that model.

D

Deleted member 196519

I got the amp so that I could connect everything to it, as my Denon 2310 isn't 4k compatible, plus I thought as I bought my 2310 in 2009 that there would have been big improvements in sound since then. The 3700 got brilliant reviews and that's what made me go for that model.
My amp is from 2008 and it’s brilliant! I have 4K Blu-ray player connected to it, I have also had the new Xbox Series S and PlayStation 5 console connected to it. I have also had a projector connected to it too. If you don’t have speakers for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X soundtracks I still can’t find a reason to upgrade even though I have tried.

Big_AL

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
My amp is from 2008 and it’s brilliant! I have 4K Blu-ray player connected to it, I have also had the new Xbox Series S and PlayStation 5 console connected to it. I have also had a projector connected to it too. If you don’t have speakers for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X soundtracks I still can’t find a reason to upgrade even though I have tried.
The only way I could get my 2310 to work with my new 4k oled tv, was to connect the tv directly to my SKYQ box and then an optical cable from my SKYQ to the amp

D

Deleted member 196519

The only way I could get my 2310 to work with my new 4k oled tv, was to connect the tv directly to my SKYQ box and then an optical cable from my SKYQ to the amp
That’s what I do to my Sky HD box. I also have a 4K OLED too.

michael hoy

May i suggest the following:
Set the volume to 12 O'clock
Phase to +
EQ to 1
Hz to 140

And re run Audyssey.

Also it is well worth paying £20.00 for the Audyssey app if you have an iPad. But try the above first.

Big_AL

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
May i suggest the following:
Set the volume to 12 O'clock
Phase to +
EQ to 1
Hz to 140

And re run Audyssey.

Also it is well worth paying £20.00 for the Audyssey app if you have an iPad. But try the above first.
Hi Michael, The Phase is currently at the 12 o'clock, should I turn it more to the right, also do you mean the Hz on the PV1, or on the amp menu for the sub?

The PV1 is currently at 80hz, but the amp has it set to 120hz

Big_AL

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
To begin with, copy the sub settings of the 2310 into your new amp. Also, check the connections and make sure the subwoofer has been connected to subwoofer 1 port.

I am confident it is not an issue with the amp. Just need to get the settings right.
I double checked the sub, it's connected to port 1, I have copied the channel levels from the 2310, but I am not sure what Hz each of the speakers and sub were set to.

michael hoy

Hi Michael, The Phase is currently at the 12 o'clock, should I turn it more to the right, also do you mean the Hz on the PV1, or on the amp menu for the sub?

The PV1 is currently at 80hz, but the amp has it set to 120hz
On the PV1 all the way to the right. Once you have done all the suggestions i had, you will need to re run Audyssey.

michael hoy

He needs to change the settings on the sub and re run audyssey. These speakers are very small and the best place to start with the sub is at it's highest setting 120Hz. Then check that the speakers are set to small.
Check the crossovers are not set to something daft like 40Hz and change then if needed.
He can't keep making had hoc changes without running audyssey again after changing the sub setting.
This will then become the base point to tweak.

jordanfx

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
i found setting all speakers to large and sub crossover to 110hz works best for me and i have monitor audio silver 6 floorstanders.when i set to small there is something missing.much prefer setting large.apart from that why buy speakers and set to small.

michael hoy

i found setting all speakers to large and sub crossover to 110hz works best for me and i have monitor audio silver 6 floorstanders.when i set to small there is something missing.much prefer setting large.apart from that why buy speakers and set to small.
By running them set to large you are putting more strain on them and taking away bass from the sub. Let the sub do what it is designed for. They only go down to 35Hz at best.
I have floor standers and they are set to small for movies and set to large for music with no sub.

Last edited:
As Michael says, setting the speakers to large means your sub isn't getting much work to do. "Large" simply means the speakers will deal with full range of sound, including bass. Setting them to "small" will mean they'll let the sub do its job. The only time you should set your speakers to "large" is if you don't have a subwoofer, regardless of the size of the speakers.

Check this:

Last edited:
Reactions: michael hoy
What's happening in your case is, you've set the speakers to "large" and also have a crossover frequency set. So sound below the crossover point is being lost as they're going to the speakers who aren't processing it. And the subwoofer has been made redundant.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts