Help with cables

jlg

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, can you recommend me some speaker cables and interconnect for my Hi-fi.

Components are Marantz PM6004 + Cd6004 and am looking for a balanced sound with smooth highs, not aggressive.

Thanks in advance.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
What is your budget ?

A reasonable option :

Chord Carnival SilverScreen speaker cables

Chrod ChrimsonPlus Interconnects .

jlg

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi Isac, thanks.

60-70€ for rca and speaker (2 x 2m.)

What profile are the Chord cables? Are they balanced and smooth in the treble?

Sorry for my english.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jlg said:
Hi, can you recommend me some speaker cables and interconnect for my Hi-fi.

Components are Marantz PM6004 + Cd6004 and am looking for a balanced sound with smooth highs, not aggressive.

Thanks in advance.

Linn Black I/Cs + Linn K20 S/C from ebay.

abacus

Unless you use cheap and nasty cables then cables will make no difference to the sound, so pop down to your local Professional Musical Instrument and PA retailer and get what the professionals use. (They will also be much cheaper and won’t talk nonsense like some cable manufactures and Hi Fi dealers do)

Hope this helps

Bill

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
jlg said:
Hi Isac, thanks.

60-70€ for rca and speaker (2 x 2m.)

What profile are the Chord cables? Are they balanced and smooth in the treble?

Sorry for my english.

For budget of 60-70 pounds try the entry level speaker cables Van Der Hul Skyline -Hybrid and Monster 250i RCA cable .

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
abacus said:
Unless you use cheap and nasty cables then cables will make no difference to the sound, so pop down to your local Professional Musical Instrument and PA retailer and get what the professionals use. (They will also be much cheaper and won’t talk nonsense like some cable manufactures and Hi Fi dealers do)

Hope this helps

Bill

Most sensible advice on here so far but frequently ignored by people with more money than sense.

If you do go to a pro-audio retailer and ask their advice, for goodness sake don't tell them you want cables that will give you a smooth unaggressive top end or they'll think you're a crackpot. Such silliness doesn't exist as such in the pro-audio world. Just ask them to recommend some well-built RCA->RCA line-cables and speaker-cables. I think you'll come away delighted and with more money left in your pocket. Which surely is a Good Thing.

jlg

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for your advice.

Hi Rick, speakers are Rega Rs3.

I'm currently using some very cheap cables.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm not a rich man, I just think that there are differences between cables sound.

I think 70-80 euros in cables is a reasonable price for my Hi-fi

T

the record spot

I use a mix of cables. Chord Chorus, Atlas Navigator, other cheaper types going down to £8 a set. The difference is very minimal. If you're a believer then there isn't a lot to say but there's no need to overspend here.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Van Damme, either the clear coated, or Studio grade (blue) 2.5mm section should do fine. I/C's from Van damme cable as well, just choose the RCA

plugs you prefer. Even balance, no tonal abboritions, You will find them in pro audio shops, the off hi-fi shop, and e-bay.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
jlg said:
I'm not a rich man, I just think that there are differences between cables sound.

You're right, there are. And the differences are fairly-well explained by commonly-accepted physics. So despite what some people may tell you, beyond a certain qualatitive threshold (which can be reached by a decent well-made €10-€15 interconnect) there is nothing left to improve..

T

the record spot

I'd also add Fisual to that list. I use a Fisual coax and a pair of RCA interconnects and they're excellent. Well built, sturdy and keenly priced. The coax was less than a fiver and the interconnects maybe a tenner delivered.

jlg

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to everyone again.

A friend recommended me the Chord Company Crimson VEE 3 and Chord Company Carnival Silver Screen for speaker.

Do you think it's a good choice?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
jlg said:

You're right, there are. And the differences are fairly-well explained by commonly-accepted physics. So despite what some people may tell you, beyond a certain qualatitive threshold (which can be reached by a decent well-made €10-€15 interconnect) there is nothing left to improve..

Safe to say that QED 79 strand reaches that threshold?

Brentford Bob

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
These guys will make really good interconnects..... www.kablonline.com

I've had two sets - a fairly cheap version using Van Damme cable and Rean Connectors -cost about twenty quid. I also had a pair made up with the Neutrik pro-fi RCA's and Klotz AC110 - about sixty five quid I think.

Both were excellent with the AC110 being a bit more trebly.

Speaker cable? Decent quality 2.5mm mains cable is just the job!

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
jlg said:
Thanks to everyone again.

A friend recommended me the Chord Company Crimson VEE 3 and Chord Company Carnival Silver Screen for speaker.

Do you think it's a good choice?

It's a good option the Chords .

U

unknown

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi jlg

Thanks for your reply.

You might be interested to know that i only use basic interconnects and speaker cables (which cost little money) with all of our components/systems.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

hello Rick

can i ask what is the top of the range / reference system you use plus your experiences when you have tested more costly cables on this system ?

thanks for reply

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts