Help with building first stereo setup (budget £2000)

nimano45

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I want to get myself my first stereo setup and I need a little help deciding what to buy.

I need the following equipment:

- Speakers (big standmounts or small/medium floorstanders)

- Amplifier that works well with the speakers (needs to be compatible with the NAD Dac2)

- NAD Dac2 for music playback via PC

- "Nothing-fancy" speaker cables and other necessary accessories

My budget is around £2000. Under £1500 is prefereable, but £2000 and a little more is possible if it's worth the extra quid. I will be listening in a 3 x 3m (9,8 x 9,8 feet) with some acoustic treatment. I plan to move to a more adequate location in a few years, and I plan to keep this setup longer than that. Some of the speakers I've been demoing have a smaller amount of low end than I prefer (B&W 684 S2's, various standmounters). I have no room for a sub, so all the low end has to come from the speaker. I listened to the Dali Zensor 5 and I liked the sound signature, but I would like some with better details (the Zensor's are below my budget anyway). I don't find the Zensor's bass to be too powerful, but it doesn't need to be that powerful. I listen to Hip-Hop and various types of electronic music, so the bass is really important. Any suggestions? Several alternatives would be the best.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I would personally be looking at NVA amplification if I was in your position. In fact I do eventually intend to go down the NVA route myself when I can afford to upgrade. I will probably be the only person to point you in this direction as they are not a commonly recommended company. They have a very modular upgrade path and their cables are also very good value. If you don't like what you hear when you get your amp then you can send back for a full refund. Can't really argue with that! You will find NVA on ebay as they are a direct sell company.

James

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I think that a lot rather depends on how you feel about the functionality.

If you are comfortable using the volume control on your computer, then I feel the best route, given your musucal preferences would be to go active.

My personel choice would be either the rather elegant Adam Artist 6 floorstander or the rather 'chunkier' A7x standmount studio monitor.

Both speakers have fine tight and very controlled bass and will be absolutely in their element with electronic and similar types of music. Price wise, they are well within budget and keep the setup very simple indeed. If you need more flexibility then this may not be your best option.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_artist_6_hochglanz_schwarz.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_a7x_glossy_black.htm

TRENDING THREADS