Help with AV Receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
With a number of similarly specified AV receivers in my price range to choose from, deciding on the one for me has been difficult. I have chosen the Yamaha RXV765 at £299. However, one thing worries me; the comment in the review on WHSV:

"The problem is the same one that hinders its sibling. The '765 won't let you assign an optical digital input with an HDMI input, preventing you from enjoying Dolby Digital surround sound from Apple TV or a Sky+ HD box."

I am about to have Sky HD installed and Dolby Digital is essential. Did Yamaha rectify this anomaly? I would have thought that Sky HD boxes have HDMI 1.3a negating the need for optical?

Your help would be much appreciated

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
There was a firmware upgrade to cure this problem: a unit bought now shouldn't have this problem, or if it does (for example should it be old stock, which is unlikely), the dealer should be able to upgrade the firmware to solve it.

And I'm afraid the HDMI version isn't the limiting factor with the Sky+HD boxes: Sky just chooses not to make DD5.1 available on HDMI.

Andrew Everard:

There was a firmware upgrade to cure this problem: a unit bought now shouldn't have this problem, or if it does (for example should it be old stock, which is unlikely), the dealer should be able to upgrade the firmware to solve it.

Jinx!

Andrew Everard: And I'm afraid the HDMI version isn't the limiting factor with the Sky+HD boxes: Sky just chooses not to make DD5.1 available on HDMI.

I would've thought that Sky would have done something about it by now. Yet, looking into their FAQs, they don't even mention the fact that you need more than an HDMI cable for DD 5.1

"How can I get Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound with HD?

Many HD programmes are broadcast in stunning Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, delivering top quality audio to accompany your HD picture. In order to immerse yourself in surround sound, you'll need a compatible home cinema system. Don't worry if you don't have one - you'll still experience the same amazing picture quality of high definition and stereo sound."

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply all, guess we should lobby Sky use HDMI.

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS