HELP!! What TV to buy based on distance

skularatna

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a HD TV for my room, and the distance between my sweetspot to where the TV goes is approx 2.20-2.30 metres that's 7.2 to 7.5feet. Based on these measurements what would be the best size TV to go for. Looking at this website http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html and entering the values it would appear that the optimal TV size is 48" But my room is only 16sq meters, isn't that a bit too big, also wouldnt I damage my eyes sitting 7.5 feet away from a 48" screen?

Really would appreciate some expert advice. Thanks

skularatna

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
ok just watched the how to on ideal viewing distances and for HD on 32" TV the ideal distance is between 1.3-2.3 metres so looks like a 32inch will be ideal for me. I'm not worried about SD as I wont really be watching many SD movies. Can someone confirm I'm making the right decision. Currently got my eye set on the Sony KDL-32W4000

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Im no expert, but a 48" tv in that size room is a bit off the mark,......

That Sony should be perfect for your needs............got 5* in the recent supplement on best TV's...........

A

Anonymous

It all depends on your budget really, I think you can get the w4000 for about £600 now and that is probably the best TV for your money, if you can afford more then check out the philips pfl9603d. Also at that distance I am sure you could get away with a 37" or even a 40" - the pana 37px80b will come under budget too and is a good one to look at and again if your budget can go up then the sony 40w4500 should not go without an audition (and the cheaper 40w4000). Finally consider spending below budget and spending the savings on a good surround system - the sony 32v4000 is spectacularly cheap and should maybe be considered.

The best thing you could do is get a viewing of all of TV's mentioned and let your eyes tell you which one you want and whether you want to spend the extra on getting the philips or a 40". I have a similar viewing distance and opted for the pana 37px80b - the extra inches will be appreciated and at £250 less than the sony40w4500 I couldn't justify paying the extra to get the sony by what I saw with my own eyes, I thought the sony looked better but not £250 better, you may see it differently. Don't forget to test the sound aswell as the picture, you may find the v4000 a good enough picture and be tempted by an external audio system.

It's your eyes and ears that will tell you answer to your question - make sure you audition before you buy and you won't be dissapointed. good luck

A

Anonymous

I sit the same distance from my TV's and have 37" screens - It's great!

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I went into my local Ets today, with my brother who is looking for a small set, his room is a little bit smaller than yours and we had a few ideas of 32" models, but found the Panny 37px80 to be the perfect size. So i would suggest making a template for both sizes as i feel they will both be suitable, it may depend on your room layout. Then try and view the two sizes, wallmounting and av stands will have a bearing on final viewing distances. We found the Panny on a cantilever stand would allow us a greater viewing distance and also give us enough shelving. Panny for £499 at Hi-Spek last time i looked with 5yr's warranty.It has a great picture ,clean natural colours good sd viewing and will look great with any hd source.

A

Anonymous

go view a 37" and a 40" from 7ft away. I don't think they are too big but SD on a 40" may look too flawed for you - its all about personal taste

skularatna

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
I'm not bothered about SD will mainly we watching full 1080p blu ray movies. Have looked at the 40KDLW4000 at a viewing distance of 7 feet, this may be suitable for my room .

A

Anonymous

sounds like it, if you can afford the w4500 then give it an audition too.

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
just been to a friends house and watched a panasonic 42' plasma screen . Viewing distance from screen to "your ankles" is 2.1m....The picture was not too big at that distance and did not appear grainy...Also it is a 768 set not a 1080p set and dvd's looked great on it.The sound was quite good too far better than i expected it to to sound.

skularatna

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Ahh lol now im in a pickle as to what tv to go for The Phillips 42PFL7603D has been awarded 5 stars by this magazine, an almost every reviewer you can think of. The current lowest price is £768.30.

The Sony KDL-40W4500 has been awarded product of the year and again had an excellent review. However or a 40inch its price is more than the Philips, I would hazard a guess the steep price is due to the Bravia 2 engine. Current lowest I've seen it is for £868.
Comparing the prices... for a £100 less and a larger screen which would allow me to experience the full benefit of 1080p from my viewing distance, the scales seem to be tipping in favor of the Phillips.

A

Anonymous

Looking on BuyDigital.tv for all the best deals. The Samsung LE-40A656 IMO is the best all round buy at the moment allowing for closer than usual viewing. You should be able to find the Sony 40W4000 as well as Panasonic PZ80 all floating around £700. The Panasonic 37" PX80 is the best value at around £500.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts