Help - upgrading my current set-up; where to start?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

First post on here! Have had this set up for a couple of years now and have the 'upgrade twitch'!!

Cyrus CD8

Cyrus 8

Quad 11L

Firstly, I want to keep my Cyrus gear but am considering several options:

1. Add PSX-R to CD8

2. Upgrade to CD8 SE via Cyrus factory

3. Add Power 8 power amp (can this be done to original Cyrus 8 or will I need to upgrade to 8 vs2)

Which of the above would give the best 'bang for the buck' do you reckon guys?

Secondly, I want to change my speakers to get the best out of the upgraded Cyrus gear. Any suggestions of what would suit the above? Ive looked a Dynaudio's range and have heard some good reviews.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
1. The PSX-R debate all over the net as some say it make sound so much better and some couldn't hear any different at all so try to buy 2nd hand (£250ish) as you can get your money back if it's not an upgrade (FWIW I could hear some different, not sure it's a £450 different though)

2. The SE suppose to be smoother, I haven't got a clue how much Cyrus would charge you for the upgrade? my honest feeling is the CD7Q still the best cyrus disc spinner.

3. The 11L are not too hard to drive although add the power amp can help to drive the gorgeous looking speakers more correctly, again I am not sure adding would be better than changing.

Secondly some Dyn are great with Cyrus, the contoure 1.3 for example, others would be PMC or Totem depending on your music but remember all of them like a lot of power to sing.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I personally would get a power amp and new speakers and leave it at that.

Maybe some ATC, PMC, ProAc, or Dali speakers would be worth an audition. You should really try to listen to some with Cyrus equipment at a local dealer.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
What type of music do you listen to? What size is your room? What's the layout and must you have certain size components, etc? Personally I would sell the Cyrus and the Quads and start again but that's just me. :eek:) Visit your local dealer and audition something else. P.S. I chose MA B2's over Quad 11L's, despite the price difference.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gpi"]What type of music do you listen to? What size is your room? What's the layout and must you have certain size components, etc? Personally I would sell the Cyrus and the Quads and start again but that's just me. :eek:) Visit your local dealer and audition something else. P.S. I chose MA B2's over Quad 11L's, despite the price difference.[/quote]

The MA and Quad speakers will nowhere near do justice to a set up like yours. You need to be spending the same amount on your speakers as the other components, so somewhat nearer £800+ in my opinion.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Just to make it clear, I wasn't suggesting he swops his Quads for the MA's. I was referring to an audition I had years ago and didn't rate the Quads. Nice finish though if that is important to you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts