Help - Unwanted 3D effect

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

Have just purchased a Samsung LE26R87DBX and find some programms I watch seem to have this nauseating almost 3D effect. I was wandering if anyone else has experienced this and if anything can be done?

I gone through the manual and played with settings to no effect.

Any advice on this subject will be much appreciated.

Thanks

The Gib

A

Anonymous

We get this on our Pioneer PDP507XDE but as I am generally the only one that seems to notice it and get annoyed by it, both my Daughters and Wife put it down to my getting old and regularly suggest a visit to Specsavers!

Although having said that, my eyes were only tested a couple of weeks ago and I can still see it on a regular basis!

A

Anonymous

Sorry I realise I may of not explained the effect very well. The easiest way to describe this is as if people (and objects) have been superimposed on to the image, they stand out from the background, hence creating the 3D effect though in an artificial looking way.

This appears to be with DVD's aswell as Freeview.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I think what you're seeing is better definition, created by high resolution and a larger screen, which makes differential focus between foreground and background at the shooting/studio camera stage more apparent.

This is often mistakenly referred to as a 'depth of field' effect, but in fact is usually to do with less digital noise, which can tend to mask such camera effects by blurring the overall picture, along with decent resolution and contrast, plus enhanced colour handling, which again gives more differentiation.

You'll find it's even more striking with true HD material.

A

Anonymous

That's not what I was actually referring to and probably my experience is with ghosting.

When trying to decide whether to change my awesome 37" Sony CRT for a Pioneer Plasma, I was given the advice that terrestrial would look pretty grim, Sky would be OK and Digital would be even better.

Whilst this has probably been my experience since having the Plasma I didn't perhaps fully appreciate just how bad most transmitted stuff was going to be!

Don't get me wrong, if I play a top DVD through the Plasma it is absolutely stunning and blows everyone that views it away, but with all other content you tend to get the response of "I couldn't live with that" or "Don't think I'll bother"

Play something through it that was perhaps originally broadcast in the 70's/80's and it is grimmer than grim, with ghosting, green tinges around the subjects etc.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Is this on analogue TV or digital? If it's analogue it could be down to aerial problems, otherwise it's probably artefacts caused by the conversion of the old TV programme to digital, compression being applied for digital transmission, and then the screen upscaling the picture to fit its resolution.

As you say, a lot of it's down to the low bitrates used on many terrestrial digital TV channels - I share your pain, having paid my dues testing TVs in the office when all there is to watch is Cash In The Flog It Under The Hammer Booty, which look like they're shot by a hungover work-experience person on a camcorder. The TVs can only do their best with such transmissions, and as is clear with DVDs, these screens are capable of so much more.

It's a case of not shooting the messenger, and arguably the better the screen and its built-in tuner, the worse the pictures look.

Blame this little devil, pray the analogue switch-off might give the broadcasters a bit more spectrum to play with, and that they don't just use it to cram in more iffy channels...

A

Anonymous

i'm looking at a pana 37 plasma, does what u say mean apart from dvd's , the picture is going to look terrible otherwise?

A

Anonymous

Shouldn't do. Don't forget he's using a Samsung LCD.

I have a 50inch Samsung plasma and it looks great with Freeview. Fab picture. No issues at all. So don't worry about the 37 inch Panasonic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts