Help to decide - choosing a Cyrus system

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi all!

i want a top quality hifi system alongside my studio setup.

What would you chose:

Cdxtse2 / 8 QX dac

or

Cd8se2 / 8a

i'm not sure if the qx module is superior to the twin dac inside Cd8se, which is considered by many to be something special...

please share your opinions :)

sweety7272

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there, sounds like you'll be making a nice system whatever you end up with... But to try to help, I think it might be worth considering how you will use it wider than just CD replay in the first instance.

Normally people get the CDXT to go with the higher end DAC pre-amp in the Cyrus lineup - ie the DACXP. This then gives the flexibility to add other digital-in components, maybe like a streamer.

If you get the amp with the DAC then this also would be more flexible than the straight 8a, but only if you are going to need those extra inputs for digital devices.

The other thing to consider is your personal nature...are you a born upgrader or will you buy once and then leave it alone for 10 years? Both systems have a potential upgrade route - you could get the DAC module added to the 8 at a later date, or you can add Power supplies to all of those boxes (PSXR).

I've not heard the new 8SE2, but the older variant is a really top quality CD player, you can't go wrong with it.

Other options to chuck into the mix would also be to consider going down the pre-power route, which has various options and is very popular with Cyrus owners. If you are willing to buy second hand, there are lots of well looked after Cyrus power amps available - eg Mono X, X Power etc.

For a fuller discussion and coverage on the DAC modules in Cyrus google the Cyrus Unofficial forum and have a look round there - there is a lot of information already been collated you can read through.

have fun...!

Unpublished - duplicate post

sweety7272

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there, sounds like you'll be making a nice system whatever you end up with... But to try to help, I think it might be worth considering how you will use it wider than just CD replay in the first instance.

Normally people get the CDXT to go with the higher end DAC pre-amp in the Cyrus lineup - ie the DACXP. This then gives the flexibility to add other digital-in components, maybe like a streamer.

If you get the amp with the DAC then this also would be more flexible than the straight 8a, but only if you are going to need those extra inputs for digital devices.

The other thing to consider is your personal nature...are you a born upgrader or will you buy once and then leave it alone for 10 years? Both systems have a potential upgrade route - you could get the DAC module added to the 8 at a later date, or you can add Power supplies to all of those boxes (PSXR).

I've not heard the new 8SE2, but the older variant is a really top quality CD player, you can't go wrong with it.

Other options to chuck into the mix would also be to consider going down the pre-power route, which has various options and is very popular with Cyrus owners. If you are willing to buy second hand, there are lots of well looked after Cyrus power amps available - eg Mono X, X Power etc.

For a fuller discussion and coverage on the DAC modules in Cyrus google the Cyrus Unofficial forum and have a look round there - there is a lot of information already been collated you can read through.

have fun...!

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
ifor, so what do you suggest?

the more expensive - the better?

it might be, but not always the case.. some prefer cd5xs to the cdx2, etc..

what i'd like to hear is what benefits brings qx module over the one in cd8se

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Sweety, tnx :)

i will use it for cd replay only..

what would you choose in that case?

unfortunately i cannot audition cyrus, as our local dealer has stopped working with them because of reliability issues.

i will have to order from UK by myself

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
krolikgena said:
ifor, so what do you suggest?

I have a CD8 SE and it really is excellent, but having not heard the others I would have to trust Cyrus when they say their best bits are the best. If I were you I would definitely not get the Cyrus 8. You say that you will only play CDs, but I would bet that in the future this might change so I would get either the Cyrus 8 DAC or the Cyrus 8 Qx DAC. Then get the best of the CD transports you can afford; it wouldn't need a built in DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts