Where to add a psx-r to my Cyrus system

Roman Totale

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi all

I have a Cyrus system consisting of CDXTse2, DAC XP and two SmartPower Plus (used as monoblocks).

I am thinking of adding a PSX-R, is it worth it and where is the best place to put it?

Thanks

I'm no expert on Cyrus kit but would have thought your most critical point on the power supply front would be a CD player.

However as yours is purely a transport then I would say you need it on the DAC preamp.

No doubt more knowledgeable advice will be coming along soon. :)

Roman Totale

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Alears for the prompt post.

That chimes with a view I have heard elsewhere, that given the DAC XP is both a DAC and a pre amp it might have most benefit there.

Keen to hear how the views stack up.

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Alears said:
I'm no expert on Cyrus kit but would have thought your most critical point on the power supply front would be a CD player.

However as yours is purely a transport then I would say you need it on the DAC preamp.

No doubt more knowledgeable advice will be coming along soon. :)

+1

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
my only psxr is on my pre amp. it does not make as big a difference as it did on my old 8sv2 amp but since i already owned one it went on the new pre amp. if your amps drive your speakers properly then i would not bother for them as i think it just adds power.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I went from Pre XPDQX and 4 MonoX's straight to DAC XP sig and MonoX 300 sig. - so can't really comment on individual pereformance. Overall a big step up in detail, bass and sound stage.

Roman Totale

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks ngibbs, bluebrazil, and Crossie.

Looks like a clear view towards the DAC XP, so far...

As it happens I found a section on the Cyrus web site about how the PSX-R helps the different components. Interestingly it does not even mention CD transports, but states the advantages for pre-amps, DACs and this for DAC XP Signature (presumably would apply equally to DAC XP):

"DAC XP Signature[/b]

[/b]
Like the DAC X Signature, the PSX-R powers the filter stages of the DAC XP Signature, further separating the DAC and pre-amp power supplies to make the DAC XP Signature the highest performance preamp in the Cyrus range. The PSX-R furthers boosts the quality of this audiophile digital component".

Looking forward to more thoughts on this.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
If only one psx-r, then I'd put it on the DAC XP, then try a second on the CD transport (and return or sell on if you don't hear much difference).

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
+1 for putting the first PSX-R on the DAC-XP then the next on the CD transport, IF you have one, or have gotten hold of one half price, that is. Otherwise I'd save the cash towards new power amps.

I can't see a so-say cleaner more stable power source doing much to the 1's and 0's coming out of the CD transport, and in my experience (PSX-Rs on the CD-XT, the Pre-X, and the twin X-powers in my system), I can't honestly say I noticed much difference, except, perhaps in the dynamics of the power amps, but there you go. A certain popular internet auction site, ahem, seems to be a rich source of PSX-Rs at about half price, so I don't think I'm the only one wondering about the merits of PSX-Rs.

If / when I get around to replacing my Cyrus system here in the US, I'll probably go for Mono-X200s or X300s, and probably only put PSX-Rs on the other components if the notoriously "spikey" mains here in Houston demands them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts