Help! Sony 46HX853 or Panasonic TX-PGT50??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
I have just been watching the tennis and the picture was amazing. The blue court against the black where the crowd is stunning.

I've got tickets for the final on Monday. Really hoping it's Murray vs. Djokovic. Djokovic vs. Federer would be great as well.

Sorry, probably derailing the thread. I had tickets last year for a group match, but after Murray pulled out injured we ended up watching Berdych vs. Tipsarevic. They're both fantastic players, but it felt a bit anticlimactic, really...

Yeah I really enjoyed the match tonight. Ah congrats, wow I wouldn't mind having tickets for the final - nice one! I hope it's Murray for you. The motion on GT 50 was superb on the tennis, no judder, no noise a very stable and clear picture. The blacks are amazing!

D

Deleted member 2457

Sizzers said:
I wasn’t querying the PQ of your telly! lol.

With the TV set as follows:- Aspect Ratio: 16:9; Overscan: Off; Orbiter: Off, and with the BDP outputting at 1080p resolution, hopefully you can see the point of my question.

Yep I can see what you are saying but I just don't know. It is something I have only noticed on Avatar, on this one particular clip. Hopefully someone else can answer it. It is almost like it has been compressed on a 50 inch TV compared to the 55 inch.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
It’s not a problem but I’m just curious.

1:1 pixel mapping should display the full image regardless of screen size but perhaps I’m missing something. Would you still be able to find the link to satisfy my native curiosity?

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Hello!

good to read all the posts.....thanks for the replies!

to answer one, and ask a few more questions to you all:

size I'm considering is 47' Sony or 50' GT 50...

having always had LCD, is there a 'buzz' from a plasma, is it a big change, and which is brighter with 3D???

oh, and I was lucky enough to see Federer v Ferrer live. Nice!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Nick_Shepherd said:
Hello!

having always had LCD, is there a 'buzz' from a plasma, is it a big change, and which is brighter with 3D???

nick

i was lookin at the Sony & Panny, both fantastic tvs i went for the GT50 purely on picture quality and i have not been let down, neither would I of been with the Sony.... personal choice eh!!

D

Deleted member 2457

Sizzers said:
It’s not a problem but I’m just curious.

1:1 pixel mapping should display the full image regardless of screen size but perhaps I’m missing something. Would you still be able to find the link to satisfy my native curiosity?

It was on the Panasonic gt50 owners thread on AVForums, problem is that they have about four now I think and they are like 25 pages long.
smiley-smile.gif
It was just a guy saying he was pleased he bought the 50 inch because the only clip he knew of was Avatar where he was crying there was more detail and you can see the tear drop. On mine you see the tear but then you see it when it has fallen on the Panasonic 55VT30 you can actually see the tear fall from his eye. It was like wow! I am still waiting to have a demo on the 55VT50, can't wait.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Nick_Shepherd said:
Hello!

Reputedly some plasmas buzz, but mine never has.

If you were buying a GT30 last year, for example, and researching the web you would find: green blobs, fluctuating brightness levels, 50hz bug, buzzing, fan noise…..you’d never buy one! Had mine since March and still perfect with none of the above. Just make sure you buy from a reputable retailer like John Lewis or RS to cover yourself, though (unlike me, who had to source my end-of-line bargain from Currys!)

For me plasma did take a few days to adjust to, but to my eyes plasma draws you in and LCD shuts you out. Only my opinion of course, but I couldn’t touch an LCD again.

Properly calibrated, brightness isn’t an issue unless you’re viewing in a room with a lot of sunlight then that may be a different issue. Anyway, enjoy whichever way you decide!

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Indeed.

the tv goes in the bedroom (biggest room, square, easy set up of 5.1) so as we'll as movies, we watch tv late at night on low volume....do plasma's make more noise than LCD? How's the 3D for brightness on yours?

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Sizzers, posts crossed! Think you have answered my questions.....nice work!

I'll go see them and buy from a retailer I can return to if not good for me.....

D

Deleted member 2457

Nick_Shepherd said:
Hello!

I can answer the buzz bit, all plasmas buzz to an extent, it just depends how much. As long as you can't hear it when you first power on, you will be fine. If you hear it then you may want to change it. In 2D the GT50 has a nice bright screen can't comment on 3D.

I would love to see Federer live, nice one.

D

Deleted member 2457

Sizzers said:
gel said:
I can answer the buzz bit, all plasmas buzz to an extent, it just depends how much.

Well I'm not here to contradict you, but mine doesn't! (must be faulty lol)

smiley-laughing.gif
The one I have now is pretty perfect too. I am being quite picky here.
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

I opted for the GT and receive delivery on Thursday Witt he understanding that I may return and exchange for the Sony and then swap back again. Seven oaks are doing a great deal but it that's been running a while but do check it out. Good luck.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Good luck src1!

So, the GT50 is out, The Mrs didn't like the frame or the size, so the Sony (she didn't like last time out) is back on!

given this, what is it at 6 degrees tilt (no one else does this) and can it be adjusted straight? I read its for low furniture, but what if you don't have low furniture?

as a side issue, and just for conversation, why are the award winning tv's in this category, not the best looking frames!! The Mrs pointed out all the pretty frames (ES8000, TX-L47DT50, and even the Sony 753 is nicer). And she had a point, the GT50 has a sizeable standard black frame and the Sony's plinth is an acquired taste. What are the best tv's not in the best looking frames?? If the Sony 853 was in any of the other frames, I would have one by now......is it that the manufacture does not know which is their best set before the reviews?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I really don’t like the look of my GT30 either, until I turn it on!

Specifically the way the middle of the bottom of the frame is coloured grey blending in to the black, and the nasty silver edging which surrounds the panel. The GT50 is a definite improvement to my eyes and although I’ve only briefly seen the Sony, apart from the tilt I think it looks absolutely stunning.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
So what's with the 'tilt' and how tv buying would be easier (for the wives) if the 'winners' each year had the best frames!

I know it's down to taste, but clearly there are better looking sets than the current test winners....will the monolithic design of the Sony be dropped next year and were left with an odd ball of a set...

D

Deleted member 2457

I like the design of the GT50, you cant get much smarter unless you go for the Samsung's. But even then I would still go for the Panasonic. I personally don't think much to the tilt of the Sony. I was only admiring the design and look of my Panasonic the other day.
smiley-cool.gif

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
@ Nick_Shepherd

The plinth as you call it on the Sony 46HX853 is a soundbar which you do not need to attach to the bottom of the tv if you do not require it, it supplements the other speakers in the tv. The tv can be wall mounted or i believe you can buy a different stand for it, i believe there is another thread about a seperate stand for the 46HX853.

Mine is wall mounted & i must admit it is a lot better looking tv without the soundbar attached.

D

Deleted member 2457

stevebrock said:
had my GT50 a few weeks now, impressed!

what burn it tips do you have? or just watch lots of Blu Rays?

Be very careful with image retention! Sky Sports News can leave marks! Make sure the pixel orbiter is working at all times. Be careful with the picture settings while you run it in. Glad you are enjoying it! What a TV huh?
smiley-smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

stevebrock said:
yep great tv and yes I went for 50" not 42"

Nice one! Bigger the better for sure!
smiley-smile.gif
It is amazing how good the image is up close.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
i havent tried 3D yet as waitin for glasses, 3D wasnt a deal breaker for me but reading on other forums people say the 3D is poor with lots of crosstalk - whats going on?

All the reviews say 3D is great with this TV - is it a firmware problem?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts