Help please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

happy new year hope everyone is well rested!

Im very new to all this and this is my first post. so be really gentle with me

Ive just bought my first surround sound system, the system is a Monitor Audio R270HD but with a RSW12 instead and all this is connected to an onkyo 807 and pioneer 320.

My problem is this, my RSW12 has a slight humming that dosent seem to go away even if i disconnect the audio cable or if i place it different potion around the house. Ive also tried different plug sockets but to no avail.

The humming isn't overly loud and ive had a read around and some people seem to think different things about this, like grounding issues and the like but i don't think its a grounding issue as it still hums where ever i put it in the house. like i said it not loud but is there when fairly your close to the sub.

Another problem is Audussey im trying to set this up on the amp and its throwing out what seems to be strange readings like 60hz and 50hz for the font three speakers also the rears seem to be quite load compared to the rest but that might be because there quiet close to the listening position. Its head ach quiet literally! any tips on using this automatic setup mic would be great.

I appolgise for my spelling and grammar in advance im a little bit dyslexic

thanks

G

A

Anonymous

I had an RSW12 on demo and had to send it back due to the same buzzing you can hear. Some on here have had this problem and I am sure they changed the lead from the amp and it stopped.

On the setup do you have R270 front l & r and rear l & r? And what centre do you have.

We can then give a bit of advice on what cross over settings etc.

If you rears sound high, simply turn them down in the manual setup option, sometimes these things are not as accurate as we hope and your own ears are the best way to set it up, although you could so buy a sound meter if you wish.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply mark

The lead to the sub is not connected and it will still hum but like i say not much but its there if you know what i mean.

Could it be because i have directly plugged into the wall?

For the centre channel i have the R250 and the R90's in the rear i would be greatull for any advise on the best setting to use on the setup as the sub is sounding a tad thin in places

On another note Audussey did set the center channel at -9 is that a bit extreme as the front left and right where set at about the -6 mark. But as you say i can go in and set that up manually i guess so nothing much to worry about.

scene

Hi, what sub cable are you using from the amp to the RSW12? I remember there being a problem some people had with Chord (I think) sub-cables, where the metal sheath of the plug on the cable was grounding on the case of their RSW12, causing a hum. Pulling out the cable slightly stopped it - they got a replacement cable (foc) as it was recognised as a cable fault.

A

Anonymous

I know exactly what you mean with the sub, which is why my demo one went back as it was sat behind a chair and you could really hear it when sat there.

I have the R250HD upfront myself, but 3 of them, so I have messed with the cross overs a lot. At present I have found setting them to small with a cross over of around 90 or 100 Hz allows them to concentrate on mid and high range. I found anything less than 80Hz and the dialogue became muddy on the centre speaker.

Your rears need to be set to small anyway, so I wld suggest first trying small all round with the cross over at 100Hz. If this does not suit your taste, try just changing the fronts to large and lowering the cross over a little ( they can go down to 48 Hz I think).

A

Anonymous

By the way is the position you are measuring at with the mic nearer the centre speaker or are they out of line? these would be the main reasons for the auto setup reduction the centre by 3dB more than left and rights.

A

Anonymous

Hi scene

Thanks for the reply the cable I'm using is a cord crimson I think. It dosent really seem to fit on the socket very well. The socket almost seem sunken in they stick out half way than normal compared to the other audio sockets on the amp amd tv which I found a bit strange. Don't know what you think about this?

Sent from my HTC

A

Anonymous

The center speaker sits slightly further forward on a glass just rack stand. I will level up all three and set up the speakers the way that you suggested
I think ill move the sub around abit aswell and see if that makes any difference. Thanks for the advice ill let you know the out come thanks very much mark

scene

gareth Ottywill:Hi scene

Thanks for the reply the cable I'm using is a cord crimson I think. It dosent really seem to fit on the socket very well. The socket almost seem sunken in they stick out half way than normal compared to the other audio sockets on the amp amd tv which I found a bit strange. Don't know what you think about this?

Sent from my HTC
I think it was the Chord Crimson sub cable + RSW12 that some people were having problems with. Have you got another sub-cable (any at all?) you could try it with?

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi I have nearly the same set up as you except I have a Denon amp. Other than the humming what Do you think of it?
As for the cord cable I was told from a reliable source that it was just a analog cable and was told to steer clear. I bought a qed performance sub cable and have no trouble with it.

A

Anonymous

Hi scene

I've tried it with another and it still hummed so I straighten out the crimson and made sure it wasn't curled and it seemed to sort out the humming. Which was a happy accident which was cool but thanks for all your help.

A

Anonymous

Hi dirtydean

The onkyo is a great amp very detailed I have had to dial down the bass weight abit though. The speakers are fantastic especially that there now getting in to there groove, the sub is insane I can't believe so much power comes from such a small box.
So I guess you could say that that I Love it.

How about you what do you think about your system is if every thing that you wanted?

You could say as long as you enjoy it its money well spent and its done its job.

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
gareth Ottywill:Hi dirtydean

The onkyo is a great amp very detailed I have had to dial down the bass weight abit though. The speakers are fantastic especially that there now getting in to there groove, the sub is insane I can't believe so much power comes from such a small box.
So I guess you could say that that I Love it.

How about you what do you think about your system is if every thing that you wanted?

You could say as long as you enjoy it its money well spent and its done its job.
Hi gareth
As like you I love my set up, the Denon powers the MA's a dream, and the RXW is a beast.
Many speakers look ugly but these are kind to the eyes and ears.
It's better than I thought it would be.
I don't think I would have ever got to this stage if it was not through the sound advise from this forum and especially Dave and Tony at hifi4less in wilmslow, they stopped me from impulse buying and saved me a lot of money in doing so.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts