Help please?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

it's sad to see these sort of things happening, and it happens often on ebay, hence many powersellers have opted to quit ebay ...

both parties will wait up to 28 days for a representative at paypal/ebay to decide the outcome.... sadly, my gut feel is that the seller will loose the case ... the buyer also now has to pay out of his own pocket the return shipping cost and paypal/ebay will insist that it is sent via recorded mail with a tracking number (expensive option)

I the seller looses, he also ends up paying an additional fee for the paypal dispute (like paying for a lawyer)... even though he lost the case

during this time, the money that was paid to the seller will be on hold, so the seller will not have access to the money, and the buyer has an item that does not work

The buyer will not be able to claim from the courier, as the courier will say that it is the seller's responsibility to ensure that the item was safely packed

I do not think that the seller would sell a faulty item, and I believe that the buyer is telling the truth ... so I think, perhaps the item was damaged during transit

There can still be a quick resolution to this ... all that the buyer needs to do, is take the item for a quote for repairs ... may only cost a few pounds ... Then the seller should pay for the repairs .... problem solved?

I always advise people to collect fragile items in person (especially electronics/hi fi gear) ... My wife has sold over 5000 items on ebay (antiques/collectables) and this sort of thing happens often

A

Anonymous

Sorry, this shouldn't spit out here. The post only was opened to try to understand or find any trick to the problem, but know is on other level. Sorry again.

I bid on the item, because i talked with the seller. The problem of overseas is that the parcel could be lost. If it was a problem of transit, it could hepened inside UK transit.

Regards

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
TheMicMac:If it was a problem of transit, it could hepened inside UK transit.

Which is why I always use a next-day service that is trackable (by both parties) and signed for and insured.

Might be an idea when selling in future - to film a short youtube video of the item working (with a copy of that day's newspaper in view and a zoom in on the serial number) before packaging it
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

TheMicMac:

Sorry, this shouldn't spit out here. The post only was opened to try to understand or find any trick to the problem, but know is on other level. Sorry again.

I bid on the item, because i talked with the seller. The problem of overseas is that the parcel could be lost. If it was a problem of transit, it could hepened inside UK transit.

Regards

seller CLEARLY stated that this item was a UK auction only ... he also answered 2 questions clearly and posted them on the auction for all prospective buyers to see .... was it you who asked the one question where he said UK only? ... if it was you, who asked the question, you knew that you were in the wrong??

so why don't you do the correct thing and just get a quote for repairs ... may cost £20 ... seller then reimburses you immediately via paypal with the amount ... if not, you will wait up to a month or longer to get a refund, and may cost you £30 out of your pocket to reship the item back with a tracking number/1st class recorded

thats what I would do

A

Anonymous

easiest solution is for the seller to accept a return

but i do agree this is an ebay problem

by the way chebby i often bid on items where shipment outside that particular country is restricted normally you just ask beforehand if its ok and if the seller agrees you bid so theres nothing wrong with that

A

Anonymous

dim_span:TheMicMac:

Regards

seller CLEARLY stated that this item was a UK auction only ... he also answered 2 questions clearly and posted them on the auction for all prospective buyers to see .... was it you who asked the one question where he said UK only? ... if it was you, who asked the question, you knew that you were in the wrong??

so why don't you do the correct thing and just get a quote for repairs ... may cost £20 ... seller then reimburses you immediately via paypal with the amount ... if not, you will wait up to a month or longer to get a refund, and may cost you £30 out of your pocket to reship the item back with a tracking number/1st class recorded

thats what I would do

and youd be completely wrong if the op accepted the bid from outside the uk then that was his decision and means hed waived the restriction

you shouldnt blame the buyer in the way you are at all as i said the best solution is a return which the seller initially refused lets not forget

A

Anonymous

one off:

by the way chebby i often bid on items where shipment outside that particular country is restricted normally you just ask beforehand if its ok and if the seller agrees you bid so theres nothing wrong with that

selller disagreed and clearly stated NO ... he also posted 2 messages with questions as per shipping to overseas destinations, yet the buyer still sniped the item in the last few seconds of the auction

that is not the main prob though ... item is damaged and they can sort it out amiably

A

Anonymous

dim_span:one off:

selller disagreed and clearly stated NO ... he also posted 2 messages with questions as per shipping to overseas destinations, yet the buyer still sniped the item in the last few seconds of the auction

that is not the main prob though ... item is damaged and they can sort it out amiably

dimspan the seller packaged the item and sent it to portugal which means hes accepted the overseas bid he could have refused

besides neither you nor i know what passed in emails and conversations between them so best let it go

A

Anonymous

one off:dim_span:one off:

dimspan the seller packaged the item and sent it to portugal which means hes accepted the overseas bid he could have refused

besides neither you nor i know what passed in emails and conversations between them so best let it go

can only go on what I have read here on this forum, and what I have seen on the actual listing (ebay auction page) .... the buyer sniped the item in the last few seconds .... seller had only had 2 ebay transactions and is new to ebay ... buyer should not have bid, as he was clearly informed not to .... once item was won, shipping was agreed as its a big hassle to relist and notify ebay for the refund on ebay's commisions

matthewpiano

The long and short of it is that if I list anything on Ebay I always state categorically that it is UK mainland only. If anybody from elsewhere chooses to 'Buy It Now' I would simply cancel the sale and refuse to proceed.

A

Anonymous

dim span from a legal perspective the seller accepted the bid by packaging and shipping the item so theres no argument there

neither you nor i are in a position to find fault with either party since neither of us know all the facts which is why i think this matter is best left to the seller and buyer to hopefully come to an agreement

the practice of sniping is common in ebay not illegal so has zero to do with it

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
the item should have been posted insured - has been broken in transit place a claim

i will not send anything with a mains plug on it out of the uk

if you weren't happy sending should have refunded money and not sent - i have once refused to send an item as the guy was messing me around

however as above i had someone claim something was faulty recently refunded and returned and funilly enough worked fine - i'm not a try before you buy - have stopped selling expensive stuff on ebay now you should see my spares parts room

arcam 5.1 logo/muso about to be reused along with the optoma hd65 and screen thats been boxed for a few months, quad 12l2, quad l2 center, atacama se24s, my dad returned my old ae 109s, 32 sony lcd, fatman speakers, focal 908s, cyrus 7 amp, xbox360, project headbox, two full chest of draws of various cables and prob other stuff i've forgotten about

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:The long and short of it is that if I list anything on Ebay I always state categorically that it is UK mainland only. If anybody from elsewhere chooses to 'Buy It Now' I would simply cancel the sale and refuse to proceed.

item was not sold on a buy it now ... if you sell on buy it now or on auction, ebay automatically charge you a commision (think it's 4%) ... to cancel the sale is a lot of hassle and confusing if you only ever sold 2 items and dont know what to do

buyer saw that the seller is new to ebay, asked a question, was refused yet still went ahead and took advantage?

A

Anonymous

dim_span:
matthewpiano:The long and short of it is that if I list anything on Ebay I always state categorically that it is UK mainland only. If anybody from elsewhere chooses to 'Buy It Now' I would simply cancel the sale and refuse to proceed.

item was not sold on a buy it now ... if you sell on buy it now or on auction, ebay automatically charge you a commision (think it's 4%) ... to cancel the sale is a lot of hassle and confusing if you only ever sold 2 items and dont know what to do

buyer saw that the seller is new to ebay, asked a question, was refused yet still went ahead and took advantage?
dim span thats pure speculation not to mention prejudicial and you should remove that remark

A

Anonymous

The more I use Ebay the more im beginning to dislikeit. From a selling point of view. Im listing an item for a third time due to non paying bidders. I think going down the private sale, cash on collection route is the way to go. You might get a few quid less but no fees or hassle!

BTW dimspan. Did you ever get any joy with the A300r?

A

Anonymous

one off:dim_span:

dim span thats pure speculation not to mention prejudicial and you should remove that remark

I read the auction listing and know what item it is...

A

Anonymous

dim_span:one off:dim_span:

I read the auction listing and know what item it is...
you miss the point you cannot say the seller took advantage because you simply do not know

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i think this is all a little unfair - i have bought new stuff before that not worked when its arrived - it happens and is a pain, stressful to sort out - item was both bought and sold in good faith

A

Anonymous

bobbyg81:

BTW dimspan. Did you ever get any joy with the A300r?

the guy who originally wanted to sell the A300R precision agreed upon a price (£200) , then phoned me back and wanted more ... so gave that a miss.... a week later saw one on ebay and bought it for £113 ... am well pleased and have given that to my son (but have it hooked up to my main system while my SA-9800 is in for a service/recap ... a very good buy IMHO

A

Anonymous

well I am not going to be drawn into an argument ... fact remains, buyer should get a quote for a repair before taking further action ... and the seller should compensate if the item can be repaired satisfactory ...

like I said, it's sad when these things happen

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts