Help needed for a Turntable noob

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

First time i've posted here so hope someone can help me with some words of wisdom.

I've just managed to pick-up a Rega Planar 3 with a rb300 tonearm off eBay. It's still got it's orgiginal cartridge from 1982 (I've ordered a Goldring 2100) but I've replaced the old belt and everything seems to be in working order. However...

The Rega is plugged into a Cambridge Audio 640P phono stage and then into the AUX input on a Cambridge Audio Azur 350A. With this set-up the volume on the amp needs to be turned up to max in order to get any sensible level from it which I assume can't be right?!

My (probably wrong) initial thoughts are that either something is not working with the pre-amp (if it were broken completely would I be able to hear anything at all?), or that something isn't quite right with the tone-arm witing.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Yes you may be right regarding the 640P. As your amp itself has no integrated phono input I would first check the cartridge is wired up correctly. You say original 1982 cartridge but the Rega did not come with one fitted as standard. Which make of cartridge is it?
Is it correctly connected to the right sockets on the 640P? I do not know this phono stage so do not know if it has user-selectable dip switches or not.
Try connecting 640P to the Tuner or CD input on the 350A. Any difference?
Failing this I would wait for your new cartridge to arrive or try to find another cartridge to test the system with.
If the tonearm wiring was shot you would more than likely hear nothing at all.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
. . . my imediate reaction . . . its not a 'moving coil' cartridge is it? Should not be, but you never know . . . :?

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
From the 640P instruction's troubleshooting section...

"Volume is too loud/quiet.

Check cartridge type matches input type. If a MC cartridge
is connected through the MM inputs, volume will be very
quiet (and vica versa)."

Find out if the old cartridge is moving magnet (MM) or moving coil (MC) and then make sure it is plugged into the correct input. (Also ensure the 'Cartridge Type' switch is set accordingly to MM or MC.)

John Duncan

It's not a switch on the 640P IIRC, it's two separate inputs, so make sure it's plugged into the MM one. An MM cartridge plugged into the MC input is the only way it could be quiet (other way round would be LOUD). If that doesn't work, a trip to Richers is in order to make sure everything's working I think...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
It's not a switch on the 640P IIRC, it's two separate inputs...

Switch and inputs from the look of it...

640p-rear.jpg

(Link for larger image)

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar problem with my 540p a few weeks ago, make sure you are using the original power supply, I was using a third party one which has 1500mah compared to the 500mah of the original one which resulted in no sound. A switch to the original power supply solved this problem. Also make sure what type of cartridge you have, if you are not getting enough volume its probably a moving magnet cartridge, try switching it to the mm output and see if it solves the problem. Also try another input, something might be wrong in the aux input. If it doesn't work you could always send the phono stage for repair or grab a used one on ebay.

Hope it helps,

Shafin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts