Help me with my rear speaker decisions - please !

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
First post - please be gentle.

Current home cinema speakers in rectangular room - Kef RDM1's fronts Kef 100 centre & mission rears (M73 I think) sub BKXLS200, I would like to upgrade the rears and would love to try biploes or dipoles BUT the rear wall is mostly window and windows mean curtains so I really only have about 250mm each side in the corners so most units like Kef iq8ds or Monitor Audio RSFX etc would not fit unless turned sideways being one speaker up and one downwards ( anyone tried this ? ) or if they did fit upright one speaker would point to the wall and one to the curtains therefore any suggestions welcome to match the fronts and centre. I have considered Monitor Audio Radius R225 but have not heard any to date.

From looking at previous questions I was impressed that Andrew answered a similar query with particular references to the individuals circumstances rather than a generalisation on possible requirements. I should also add that I was disappointed when What Hi Fi stopped reviewing rear speakers separately as I think many users do like to experiment.

Thanks in anticipation

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Special agent:
First post - please be gentle.

Current home cinema speakers in rectangular room - Kef RDM1's fronts Kef 100 centre & mission rears (M73 I think) sub BKXLS200, I would like to upgrade the rears and would love to try biploes or dipoles BUT the rear wall is mostly window and windows mean curtains so I really only have about 250mm each side in the corners so most units like Kef iq8ds or Monitor Audio RSFX etc would not fit unless turned sideways being one speaker up and one downwards ( anyone tried this ? ) or if they did fit upright one speaker would point to the wall and one to the curtains therefore any suggestions welcome to match the fronts and centre. I have considered Monitor Audio Radius R225 but have not heard any to date.

From looking at previous questions I was impressed that Andrew answered a similar query with particular references to the individuals circumstances rather than a generalisation on possible requirements. I should also add that I was disappointed when What Hi Fi stopped reviewing rear speakers separately as I think many users do like to experiment.

Thanks in anticipation

I would check out the new HD Radius speakers from Monitor Audio. I have the superceded R90s from the Radius range and they look and sound great.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Gerrardasnails one problem is MA I think have discontinued the wood finish models on thr HD range which I prefer.

A

Anonymous

Forgot to mention the rear speakers have to be wall mounted therefore rear ported such as the MA Radius 90's would not suit.

Merry Christmas

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Special agent:
Forgot to mention the rear speakers have to be wall mounted therefore rear ported such as the MA Radius 90's would not suit.

Merry Christmas

Mine are mounted using the wall brackets that come with the speakers. You won't have a problem at all.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
When you say 'rear', I think you mean 'surround' if I'm right. ÿThey should, therefore, be more or less alongside your listening position or perhaps a little behind. ÿSee the Dolby.com website (amongst others) for detailed advice. ÿDoes that change things?

A

Anonymous

Thanks Sorreltiger - but it doesn't really help as the room is narrow so side mounted speakers are not an option so I suppose the advice I require is - are there any bipoles/dipoles that will perform on a rear wall in a corner or should I go for standard forward firing speakers and of course any recommendations welcome.

Merry Christmas.

Messiah

Special agent:

I would like to upgrade the rears and would love to try biploes or dipoles BUT the rear wall is mostly window and windows mean curtains so I really only have about 250mm each side in the corners so most units like Kef iq8ds or Monitor Audio RSFX etc would not fit unless turned sideways being one speaker up and one downwards ( anyone tried this ? ) or if they did fit upright one speaker would point to the wall and one to the curtains therefore any suggestions welcome to match the fronts and centre.

Giving what you are saying about the space they have to fit into arn't you ruling out dipoles anyway??

Are you going to be sat under the speakers or away from them??

I think the Radius speakers that Gerrard is suggesting will be fine or a similar pair of Kef's (if they do some in the size you need)

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't personally use bi/dipoles if you were turning one onto it's side. I imagine that'd slightly affect the diffuse effect those speakers are designed to produce.

I'd considered RSFX's for my system, but after doing much research I've decided to go with direct radiating speakers instead. I'd go with bi/dipole speakers on the side walls, but not on the rear.

There's lots of articales on the web about the benefits of diffuse vs direct surround channels, it'd be worth a Google
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts