Help me pick a DSL router please?

Paul.

Hi all,

I need to replace my router (as I'm fed up). I get periodic Airplay dropouts, streaming video services lock up, all of which are alleviated by moving closer to the router, so I just need something with more juice. My requirements are: must be a DSL router, must have a USB port for network data (not concerned about print sharing,my printer sorts it self out) needs 5 gig dual band frequency as I live in a very studenty area and I think there is some signal pollution at play, and it must be fast with good range. The USB hookup is so I can attach Hollie's time machine drive to the network and make it automatic. She never backs up and apparently its my fault when she looses her data as tech is my job... Faultless logic.

My Brother and Dad both have Airport Extremes, as lovely and bomb proof as they are I don't fancy paying out £140 (or £120 for a refurb) and still relying on the talk talk DSL modem.

I have been looking at the Netgear N600 which I have found for £107 on Amazon (bit steep), it has the USB hookup and from reviews is very fast. It has an awful lot of advanced networking features that I don't need though. I looked at the Billions (they seem to be highly recommended on here), but the DSL routers don't seem to have dual band or USB hookups. I was hoping to go to a max spend of £75-80 ish.

Thanks!

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The netgear you mention is fine provided you are on ADSL2+ and not ADSL1 (if your broadband is up to 16/20/24 then it will be ADSL2+)

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Have just purchased a Belkin N600 which has increased the speed and strength of signal through my multi solid wall and fireplace with back-boiler house. I am afraid that it does cost @ £100 though. I have never been troubled by Belkin failure or dropouts but I don't stream video services. :shifty:

SteveR750

Just bought a netgear N300 for £107 which was hardly a bargain, but the N150 Ihad couldn't cope with 2 pc's, 3 phones, and two PC manic gamers. It works great, but thanks currys for great price eh.

Paul.

I'm supposed to be on Adsl2+. Was promised 16, but as is the way speedtest reveals I only get 8. Really wanted to spend less that £75 if I can help it, but will go up a ton if I have too.

Paul.

SteveR750 said:
Just bought a netgear N300 for £107 which was hardly a bargain, but the N150 Ihad couldn't cope with 2 pc's, 3 phones, and two PC manic gamers. It works great, but thanks currys for great price eh.

Cheapest I've seen it is £90, so You didn't do too bad if you were in a hurry. It seems to lack the dual band frequency, considering I live in flats it's probably worth the extra cash.

Paul.

Bekin N600 does look pretty good, but I quite like the idea of simultaneous dual band. The more I read the more I think I'll have to get the expensive one. Router shopping is not fun :(

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i've just bought the belkin n600 dual band. brilliant, switching to adsl2 has also speeded up my dl speed by almost 100k. i'm on 5ghz and the missus on 2.4ghz, works great. i got mine from argos, with a free £10 voucher because i spent over £75. :)

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
The USB hookup is so I can attach Hollie's time machine drive to the network and make it automatic.

just noticed this. so i could attach any usb hdd to it, and osx will be able to use it as a time machine drive?

Paul.

Craig M. said:
Paul Hobbs said:
The USB hookup is so I can attach Hollie's time machine drive to the network and make it automatic.

just noticed this. so i could attach any usb hdd to it, and osx will be able to use it as a time machine drive?

In principle yes. Would you mind having a go? It would set my mind at ease knowing it worked properly... Part of me is still going BUY THE WHITE ONE!!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I can only recommend the Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11n.

Despite it's age (5 years old now), it has never given a moment's trouble.

To be fair, the Virgin cable modem it's connected to (non-wireless, 'dumb', one ethernet connection to the Airport) has never been a problem either.

In the same 5 years, friends, colleagues, relatives have probably got through a truckload of wireless routers trying to find the right one.

I would replace mine with another Airport Extreme - without any hesitation - if it ever died.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
You really need to know if you are on ADSL2 or not. Put your postcode into the exchange check below

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

You are looking for 21CN WBC status to be enabled. If it is - call your ISP to check thar you have been connected to ADSL2.

Paul.

AnotherJoe said:
You really need to know if you are on ADSL2 or not. Put your postcode into the exchange check below

You are looking for 21CN WBC status to be enabled. If it is - call your ISP to check thar you have been connected to ADSL2.

I logged in to my router and it has confirmed ADSL2+with a downstream line rate of 17,950 kbps. I asume this is confirmation enough? I would really rather avoid calling talk talk if I can help it!

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
AnotherJoe said:

I logged in to my router and it has confirmed ADSL2+with a downstream line rate of 17,950 kbps. I asume this is confirmation enough? I would really rather avoid calling talk talk if I can help it!

Avoiding talking to Talk Talk sounds like a VERY sensible course.

For all of you on Talk Talk deals but on non - unbundled exchanges CHECK YOUR BILLING. Ours has just gone up @ 40% and they appear to be wanting to get rid of their countryside slow exchange customers.

daveh75

relocated said:

Indeed. TT customer service/technical support is appalling. Their solution to everything is to either offer you a new router (which requires you to extend/renew your contract to get if free) or try and sell you fibre.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
daveh75 said:
relocated said:

Indeed. TT customer service/technical support is appalling. Their solution to everything is to either offer you a new router (which requires you to extend/renew your contract to get if free) or try and sell you fibre.

I will be in a pine [or wicker] overcoat before we get fibre here. We have always dealt with their retentions team [in the uk] and they had always been helpful and generous when we found the inevitable ****-up. This time though it was essentially tough luck, the only concession we forced was no early ending contract penalty so we are on our way to +net for less money and higher allowance [60Gb].

Paul.

Finaly got round to buying one :). Shifted the goal posts somewhat as my street is getting fibre at the end of the month, so struck off the dsl requirement. Ended up getting a Linksys e4200 v2 for £99 from pc world of all places, it was the cheapest! It's dual band 450mbps and has a USB slot, so am happy. Will report back with results.

Paul.

So far, I can only describe the setup process as a ball ache. Not impressed. Everything is up and running at last, airplay is working as smooth as a lubricated duck, but cant get the USB port working. Seriously considering taking it back and buying the white one...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts