Help me pick.... a Cd player?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Am after a CD player for around 2200 GBP. The rest of the post will be in kiwi dollars, but $6000 NZ is 2200 GBP give or take.

As far as the CD player went, I though I had it down to a Naim CD5x ($4800), or a Arcam FMJ CD36 ($5200). These two products were better to me then Cyrus etc.

Then I discovered Meridian G06 ($5999), and Meridian G08 (out or reach prob $7999). Iv heard great things about the older Meridian model 508.24. Also, the same shop had Plinius CD1 which was ok.

The Audio Research CD players were better then everything at $13000 :-( that 4776 GBP.

Iv heard a few people suggest faults in the Meridian G06 cd mech? And that it can be loud when cd's are playing? Is Linn or any other brand worth considering? Sorry I know iv sent similar posts in the past but so many decisions!

One last important question... Iv just discovered Hard Drive music servers. Dollar for Dollar, how do they sound against a CD player equal to the ones listed above? Are they on par musically or dragging behind? I know they offer convience etc but need to sound ok!!

Thanks all for feedback.

A

Anonymous

No comments? Have got it down to a Meridian G06 vs Naim CD5x. Naim is $4800, Meridian is $5999 both NZ...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Meridain = smooth with lots of details....easy on the ears, Naims = in your face and will rock your world......the choice, however, is your taste in music.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I almost agree with Thaiman.

The Meridian is smooth, full-bodied and refined, but it doesn't party well - doesn't have the rhythmic drive the best in this price-class offer.

The Naim, meanwhile, is excellent for tempo and pace, plus is a smooth, detailed listen, but its bass can lack impact - again, compared to the very best.

Both of these players are great four-star buys, however: listen and see what you like!

Some five-star players around this price i'd suggest checking out are Primare's CD31, the Audia Flight CD Two, the Copland CDA823 (rubbish interface, glorious sound), the Lyngdorf CD1 and the Densen Beat B-400 Plus. So many good players around the £1500-£2000 mark!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Some great choices from Clare above but I also have to mention that when you pay this kinna price on cd player it's down to your personal taste in music....copland CD823 is one that stand out the most for all rounder, I never heard the Lyngdorf, Densen Beat B400 is similar to Naim but have more soul. Also consider Resolution Audio Opus 21 (details, details and more details) and Musical fidelity A5 (high end sound for not a lot of cash)

A

Anonymous

I would audition the Cambridge Audio 840C as well.
Costs a lot less than the players mentioned in this thread but I think you'll be surprised when you hear what those Anagram algorithms can do.

A

Anonymous

Hmm unfortunitly most those brands you mentioned are unavailable in nz! Thats the problem with living on the other side of the glode! Primare and a few others can be ordered, but you cant demo them in any stores and actually listen to them. Same goes for Coplands/Densen etc.

I guess am favouring towards the Naim. You said it lacks bass, tho when I used it with the Flatcap 2 it was hugely improved in the bottom end!

(Yes I know conversions make them expensive in pounds!!)

Naim CD5x $4800 (£1662) Flatcap 2 $1750 = $6550 (£2269)

Meridian G06 = $5999 (£2078)

Meridian G08 = $7999 (£2771)

So am thinking the Naim with the flat cap in the near future is gonna be the one for me :)

Oh and have heard the Cambridge Audio 840C, to start with it was very good but after awhile the sound was a little smooth and easy going for my liking. Not as dynamic as the other brands (they do cost more however).

Just wondering, is the NZ prices and conversions above on par with the UK prices? I know they are more expensive down here, but is the Meridian more then the Naim in UK by the same margin for example?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jonno,

Sounds like the beefed-up Naim's your best bet - that's a great deal you're getting. The CD5x costs £1575 here in the UK, so that's not a lot of premium to get it to NZ from Salisbury,England! By comparison, the Meridian G06 costs £1695 here, so there's more of an import premium.

And we agree with your assessment of the Cambridge Audio - lovely sounding player, but lacks the bite and drive of the best (even at its lower price).

Enjoy some superb listening with your impressive new set-up!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your help and advice! Gonna get the Naim CD5x tomorrow! Its gonna sounds way better then my DVD player Panasonic DVD S-29 (£60 lol).

:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts